LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best heads for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 02:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best heads for boost?

I am running 8 psi on a 383 forged lt1 with stock heads. Would like to upgrade the heads to see more power. Does anybody know any heads that are good with boost? Preferably under $2,000...Is trickflow alright?? What if i port my stock lt1 heads, how will that work with boost?

k thanks..
Old 11-16-2007, 05:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep the heads and upgrade the blower.

I just went 11.21 at 121 on 5lbs in 1st and 2nd, and 7lbs in 3rd on stock heads.

If you want to upgrade the heads for under $2,000 I recommend Lloyd Elliot to port your stock heads.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If the shortblock is setup for the combustion chamber size of stock heads that will cause pretty much all other options to lower compression further, wether this is desirable will depend on what your compression is now.

I would recommend Advanced Induction, they have some boosted cars making sick power with ported stock castings and ported Trickflows.

Heads are the key to power, boost is a measure of how much restriction to air flow there is, basically how much air is NOT getting into the motor. Give it good heads and boost numbers will drop but power will rise.

I would not bother with as cast Trickflows.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick with stock ported heads if your compression ratio is suitable for the level of boost you intend to run. I bought an unassembled short block for my new 383, and it only has -16cc dished pistons, so I am looking at head options with larger chambers to get the CR down.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I would not bother with as cast Trickflows.
Why wouldnt you bother with them? I'm in the process of selling my LE2 package to put a set of stock trickflows on for my turbo setup. I'm doing this because I know they have a thicker deck, more meat for porting, and the 62cc chambers will keep me from having to run a huge dish. I do plan on porting them down the road, but will be running them as cast for a while. I just think it's better money spent now to have the room to grow down the road. Once you port the stockers, you're maxed out as far as heads go. He's going to spend 1400-1700 for ported stock heads, or 1400 for heads that he can make more power later if he chooses.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The key to that statement was AS CAST. As I said heads are the key to power. Use low flowing heads and you need more boost which is hard on belts and the crank snout.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The key to that statement was AS CAST. As I said heads are the key to power. Use low flowing heads and you need more boost which is hard on belts and the crank snout.
I completely understand that, but an AS CAST trickflow will outflow the stockers unported and still make more power, and have more potential.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yea but they wont out flow ported stockers! So why buy trick flows if your going to port them? You just spent extra money for minimal gains. Put the extra money elsewhere! You might as well port the stock castings. I had my stock heads reworked by LPE for 900.00, included manely severe duty 2.0 1.6 valves all the port work, also included ported intake! ABA383 is running 11.2 na on proted stockers, the thicker deck is not that big of a deal! If the guy is budget minded then he should have the stockers reworked. If he has unlimited funds to throw at it then he should buy the trickflows, chrome every part, and put stickers all over it(HELL YEA)!

Last edited by kinglt-1; 11-16-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

The key to this question is whether or not you want to run more boost. If yes, then go with trickflow because the larger chamber will allow that. If you are going to keep your boost level the same, then ported stockers are your best bet. That is the sense in which trickflows are "better for boost". If you are just changing your heads and nothing else in your setup, then stick with stock.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wannabess
I completely understand that, but an AS CAST trickflow will outflow the stockers unported and still make more power, and have more potential.
Nick was running out of the box trickflows on his car was pretty slow for what it was. Hell danny was door to door with him from a roll when he had his procharger setup on it.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Nick was running out of the box trickflows on his car was pretty slow for what it was. Hell danny was door to door with him from a roll when he had his procharger setup on it.
Nick is not a good example at all, with his h/c (cc306) setup Chris pulled him with a cam only (224-230). Nick tried to port his heads on the car, need I say more? Also danny had to be trapping atleast mid 120's at the time he raced nick. It also depends on how much boost nick was running, toward the end of his crank snouts life, he was pushing 19, i dont think danny would have kept up with him at that time. I think they raced shortly after nick put the blower on the car. And I blew danny's doors off, so ricer math says I would have also blown Nick's doors off with my stock ported heads and nitrous. I'm just saying if he plans to port the heads later then he should spend the money on trickflows instead of porting the stockers now then realize he wants a better head down the road. AI has flow numbers at just about 300 with those heads after being cnc'd. So I agree that if ALL he is changing is the heads, and plans to be DONE with the car and happy with the way it is, port the stockers. But if he's like 99% that mod our cars, he wont be happy, and end up spending another $2500 for a badass set of heads down the road. Alright enough arguing for now
Old 11-17-2007, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Yea but they wont out flow ported stockers! So why buy trick flows if your going to port them? You just spent extra money for minimal gains. Put the extra money elsewhere! You might as well port the stock castings. I had my stock heads reworked by LPE for 900.00, included manely severe duty 2.0 1.6 valves all the port work, also included ported intake! ABA383 is running 11.2 na on proted stockers, the thicker deck is not that big of a deal! If the guy is budget minded then he should have the stockers reworked. If he has unlimited funds to throw at it then he should buy the trickflows, chrome every part, and put stickers all over it(HELL YEA)!
You were missing my point, it's all about the potential to go FASTER down the road by porting the trickflows and saving that money he was going to spend on porting the stockers. Instead of porting the stockers, then deciding he wants to go faster, buy ANOTHER set of nicer heads and port those. So instead of spending a little over 2000, he's spending that 2000, plus the 1700 for the stock ported heads.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I see your point! I was assuming that he is on a budget with the 2000.00 or less statement. If he wants to go 9's I guess the trick flows would benifit. The ported stockers with about 8psi of boost should make 10 second power all day with a mild cam. If he wants more power than that, trick flows would be a better choice. Also upgrade the blower. I had a p1sc stock head 383 setup and the blower could not keep up. Port your stock heads and upgrade to d1sc and your lookin at over 600whp. This setup will make more power than ported trickflows with the p1sc. obviously ported trickflows and the d1sc upgrade would be the best out of all options, but I dont think you can do this for 2000.00 though.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll throw 2 cents in here.Just to give you an example of how well the stockers perform.A.I has a cnc 190 cc head that will run circles around as cast trickflows.Not only on the flowbench but also on the car with 5 cc less runner and smaller valves.
1 more example guy name L.J around here runs mid 9's on stock ported heads.He runs a supercharged 383 somewhere around 20lbs boost full weight car w/ ac and it passes smog.Actually i dont know if he still has the car this was a few years ago.

btw I am not saying trickflows dont have potential.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just went 127.8 mph on the STOCK heads and 11.5lbs of boost with a slipping transmission, in a 3500lb car.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by skinnies
Just went 127.8 mph on the STOCK heads and 11.5lbs of boost with a slipping transmission, in a 3500lb car.
NICE, great job man, cant wait to get mine going.

Quick Reply: Best heads for boost?