LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil pump questions???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pump questions???

First question is can I change oil pump with out lifting the motor?
Second question is should I use a HV pump or regular one...?
The motor is a 383 stroker with a stock pan.....
Old 11-20-2007, 06:10 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive seen how low a oil pump can go and I honestly thing you would need to disconnect the engine mounts and trans mounts, put a cherry picker at the front and you may get a few more inches, from there you get all the oil pan bolts and you may be able to slide it out.

But I think your only going to get 1-3 inches and that may not be enough.

as for the pump a HV melling is fine, about 50 $.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default re

Do Not use a HV pump with a stock pan. You can search this to death and the consensus is not to do this, the stocker is fine for 90% or more of us. As far as changing the pump in the car I would lift the motor a couple of inches unbolting the motor mounts and drop the K- member. I left a couple of threads on the bolts and let it hang. It all depends if you have a auto or man as far as how much you will have to drop/raise the motor. Putting a new cam in and changing my stock pan to a Canton right now so this is fresh Later Art
Old 11-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I myself, having a 383 with a Melling HV oil pump has worked fine, Do regular changes and keep up on the oil level and dont let the cyl get washed down with fuel and its fine. But either way you will be fine.

I hate droping the K member but it can be done, get a metal bar, and some chain, put it across the strut tower and brace the motor for safety.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been wondering....about using that HV but it's been my experience that the stock oilpan doesn't hold enough oil.....just wanted to get more opinions on this.....
I guess I'm in for it...on the install though!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1redta
Do Not use a HV pump with a stock pan. You can search this to death and the consensus is not to do this, the stocker is fine for 90% or more of us. As far as changing the pump in the car I would lift the motor a couple of inches unbolting the motor mounts and drop the K- member. I left a couple of threads on the bolts and let it hang. It all depends if you have a auto or man as far as how much you will have to drop/raise the motor. Putting a new cam in and changing my stock pan to a Canton right now so this is fresh Later Art
Do you have any pics....
Old 11-21-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1redta
Do Not use a HV pump with a stock pan.
x2! found that out the hard way. i recommend the moroso 7.5qt with windage tray.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

So after you drop the kmember... the rest isn't that hard. Just pull the pan and the pump? I was thinking about doin the same thing with my high mileage Z28. Just cammed it and oil pressure seems a little low. Is that normal?? (Sorry for the sorta h/j)