LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Edlebrock Intake question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edlebrock Intake question

Just curious if the Edlebrock intakes are worth the 400 from summit?? Looking for a set of stock heads to be made into LE1 heads, and was thinking about getting the edlebrock intake and have it ported to match, and was wondering if they are worth the lil extra money, or is there not a big enough benefit from them and should just look for another stock one to be sent off(can find the stock ones all day for around $50-$100..mods are in my sig, cam is a XFi 230/236 .576/.571
Old 12-11-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

just port the stock unit, also try a search!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No one has done any back to back tests, so no one can say. Do us all a favor and go do the dynos back to back, same day Lloyed liked how they looked from when he ported one guy's on here. He said Stock, the LT4 version was ported like his LE3 (might have been LE2, but I think he said his best he offered) with material left to port further.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
just port the stock unit, also try a search!
tried that and got nothing,...
Old 12-12-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM hightech should do a test
Old 12-12-2007, 01:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slick1851
GM hightech should do a test
SOMEONE should, with a reputable name that is. Who cares who :\ Edel must be doing pretty well in sales if they haven't even had someone do tests. That, or they know the results are bad and that's their reasoning *shrug* I'm still keeping an open mind, unlike some, till I see facts that stand up. The one guy here even admitted his test was faulty since he did it on two different brand dynos. All he gained was 5hp and 12ft/lbs, and that was only during 1 pull

Oh well, I'm in no hurry.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Only reason to buy n Edelbrock intake is if you NEED an LT4 inatke since GM doesn't make them anymore.

The edelbrock is better in a few areas than stock (longer runners, larger cross sectional area at injector pinch, straiter shot after the TB holes, etc) and worse than stock in a few areas (worse angle where the intake and head ports transition together, smaller plenum area from where each runner sucks from, etc).

All in all, a well ported stock intake can be better han an Edelbrock intake.

Most people do not se gains from a ported intake from two reasons.

1 - the heads and cam used are not sucking on the intake hard enough to show much of a gain.

2 - most ported intakes have very little done and is just "gasket matched". There is ALOT more to porting an intake and gasket matching is the wrong thing to do anyway.

The more radical the set up (bigger cubes, more compression, bigger cam, more RPM, etc) and the more free flowing parts you have (LS1 air lid, 58 MM TB or mono blade, 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 headers, 3" true duals, etc, etc) the more the stock intake will restrict power and the more the WELL ported intake will show some gain.

Lloyd
Old 12-12-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Glad to finally see Lloyd himself post on this
Old 12-12-2007, 09:35 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Everybody keeps forgetting that these new manifolds are an airgap design. While cruising there's airflow over and around the engine that'll keep the intake charge cooler better than with the stock manifold. This wouldn't show up on a dyno test.

I believe that if ported and matched, the Edelbrock manifolds will perform and respond better while driving. Their difference won’t be huge, but there’ll be something.

Every bodies watching the thread about those guys trying to develop a new manifold. If they don’t come up with a purchasable product by the time my new motor is ready, I’ll go for the Edelbrock. OR make the jump to a single plane conversion.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Lloyd, i will be getting with you on some head and intake work shortly, as soon as my budget allows
Old 12-12-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=Paul Bell;8288719]Everybody keeps forgetting that these new manifolds are an airgap design. While cruising there's airflow over and around the engine that'll keep the intake charge cooler better than with the stock manifold. This wouldn't show up on a dyno test.QUOTE]

That's what I keep mentioning too, but everyones like "Airgap blah blah blah". My two points are the airflow for more dense air, and the fact if you wanted, you could put ice in there between runs to really cool the intake down.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NightTrain66
Only reason to buy n Edelbrock intake is if you NEED an LT4 inatke since GM doesn't make them anymore.

The edelbrock is better in a few areas than stock (longer runners, larger cross sectional area at injector pinch, straiter shot after the TB holes, etc) and worse than stock in a few areas (worse angle where the intake and head ports transition together, smaller plenum area from where each runner sucks from, etc).

All in all, a well ported stock intake can be better han an Edelbrock intake.

Most people do not se gains from a ported intake from two reasons.

1 - the heads and cam used are not sucking on the intake hard enough to show much of a gain.

2 - most ported intakes have very little done and is just "gasket matched". There is ALOT more to porting an intake and gasket matching is the wrong thing to do anyway.

The more radical the set up (bigger cubes, more compression, bigger cam, more RPM, etc) and the more free flowing parts you have (LS1 air lid, 58 MM TB or mono blade, 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 headers, 3" true duals, etc, etc) the more the stock intake will restrict power and the more the WELL ported intake will show some gain.

Lloyd

I would just like to see what it does out of the box, and if there is even a gain to be had with it. Thats why Id like to see somone dyno it....
Old 12-12-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slick1851
I would just like to see what it does out of the box, and if there is even a gain to be had with it. Thats why Id like to see somone dyno it....
Don't we all...?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Banned

You might as well buy an aftermarket MAF too so youre getting $600 worth of junk.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by burnzilla
You might as well buy an aftermarket MAF too so youre getting $600 worth of junk.
Ha I hear you on that BS

Hyper tech is the best yo!
Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

I wound up getting one. My motor guy said he had never used one on the 40 + LT1 builds he has done in the past but thought it may give me gains on my build so I said wtf and bought it. His reasoning was that I had a fully built motor. He said it flowed 271 (not sure what that is, not to big into this motor stuff) and with the ported LT4 intake he thought it, combined with everything else, would be a more efficient motor.

Maybe he doesn't know what hes talking about, but he has been in the game for 20 + years and has built me some pretty crazy motors in the past. (Big Block for my boat with 1200 HP)

Besides... its only money, right?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

it does make sense that it would help with heat soak on a daily driver/street car

Quick Reply: Edlebrock Intake question