LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Choosing a catback/muffler...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Choosing a catback/muffler...

I have a '93 Z28 that I will hopefully be using as my daily driver this coming year once all the snow goes away.... haha. I don't need to get any extra power out of it or anything, I would just like it a bit louder and definitely deep and rumbly. I'm probably just going to be getting a muffler and having someone weld it in place of the stock muffler to save money since I don't need any power gains from it and I'm in college.

So far I've thought about Hooker, Magnaflow, and Flowmaster. I've ridden around in an LT1 with a flowmaster in there and I think it sounded good, so I don't need sound clips for that. I had a Hooker catback in my LS1 for a while, but I haven't heard it in person on an LT1. And magnaflow I haven't heard on anything in person. I have single chamber flowmasters on my LS1 now, and I would like it quieter than that, but also quite a bit better than stock.

As far as the sound clips go the magnaflow sounds really bad to me... But I remember the LS1 clips that I listened to a couple years ago for my LS1 sounded good, and people have told me it sounds good on an LT1 too even though the clips sound bad... Take a listen and tell me what you think. Do they really sound like that? And what do you think I should get?

Magnaflow:
http://ls1sounds.com/magnaflow/magna...tock_95z28.wmv
http://ls1sounds.com/magnaflow/magna...k_96LT1_01.wav
http://ls1sounds.com/magnaflow/magna..._start-rev.WMV

Hooker:
http://ls1sounds.com/Hooker/hooker_stock95LT1_M6.wav
http://ls1sounds.com/Hooker/hooker_catback_lt1.mpeg
http://ls1sounds.com/Hooker/hooker.mpeg

In my opinion the Hooker sounds a ton better... But I don't know if that's just the cameras that recorded those clips or not since I haven't heard them on an LT1 in person.

Thanks for your input
Old 12-18-2007, 02:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mufflers will sound different on every car. Do you have headers, cats, etc.? When it comes to mufflers it all boils down to what you want, it's you're car so you should get what you think sounds good! I think Magnaflow's sound decent on LT1's, as do Flomasters, and Hooker Aero Chambers. If you're going to the trouble of changing mufflers you might as well get an entire cat back for a little extra $. Then down the road if you decide to do more with the car that's one less thing. If all you want is sound them just get the muffler you like.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

longtube to off road y pipe to hooker cat back =
Old 12-18-2007, 02:59 AM
12 Second Club

Well, college + daily driver = not spending that much money . haha. The car is completely stock right now, and I would really like to keep it that way, but I would just like to get a better sound out of it. Not that the stock on is all that bad on an LT1 compared to an LS1.... . lol. Did you listen to those clips? I'm wondering if all of those Magnaflow ones are really that bad, even though they are different cars... People seem to like them, but if they sound like those clips then I'm not sure why o_O
Old 12-18-2007, 04:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Listening to the clips the Hooker does sound better. One thing I noticed in the Magnaflow clips it looked and sounded as if they were cold starting the cars and reving them. If that's the case, the AIR pump would be on as the car isn't in closed loop yet and that is causing the poping and backfiring. Some of the cars sounded like they had headers on them. I had a Hooker cat back on my car when it was stock and was very happy with it. The cars that sound deeper and more mellow are likley stock exhaust with cats. When you add headers and remove the cats the noise level goes up as does the "raspy and crispness" of the sound. Hope this helps!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ive got the hooker and my buddy has the mangaflow on his car and both of us agree that the hooker sounds better but thats just us. This is on a completly stock car but ive got longtubes going on in a week or so.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

ok, i have a 94 Z28...at the time it was completley stock except for the magnaflow muffler...i did exactley what you are thinking about doing..took the muffler and welded it place of the stocker...the car was somewhat warm but i like it. As soon as i get my Lt's on and a proper catback in sure it will sound awesome.

My car with magnaflow
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l6...marorev001.flv

97 LT1 camaro with LT's and full catback
http://www.lt1engine.com/media/music...php?song_id=24
Old 12-18-2007, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Ok, thanks guys. I guess the only thing I can think to ask right this second is which one is louder? The Magnaflow, or the Hooker? Like I said, i had the hooker on my LS1 at one point and liked it (too quiet though ), and can only imagine that i would like it more on the LT1 (louder and deeper than my LS1 by far stock). The only thing is, I don't want it to be really quiet, so how would the hooker compare to stock and to the magnaflow as far as sound level is concerned?

btw, I need to know the sizes for the inlet/outlets too... I thought they were 2.5/2.25, but when I search mufflers for a '93 camaro on summit it puts up mostly 3/2.5 mufflers. Am I wrong? Which one is it?

Last edited by Speedmonster185; 12-18-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

stock ones should be 2 1/2". inlet and outlet.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Oh ok. So the flowmaster would fit there then. Does that mean that the Hooker wouldn't fit then? They say their muffler is 2.5/2.25...
Old 12-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Teching In

i had Hooker and swaped it out for SLP LM1.. I think the Hooker is just to quiet
Old 12-18-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

The hooker is quiet with the stock manifolds. Im hoping it gets louder with the long tubes this week.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

i still like the magnaflow..sounds wicked

Quick Reply: Choosing a catback/muffler...