LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

GMPP Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMPP Pistons

Has any one used the GM performance parts LT1 pistons, I have been told by the GM rep I spoke to that they are just as strong as standard forged pistons.....???????
Old 12-19-2007, 10:44 PM
10 Second Club

If they are not forged pistons, they are not as strong as forged pistons. Sounds like the GM rep is trying to sell you a set of pistons.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Launching!

yea, cuz it's the fact that they're forged that makes them strong, so...
Old 12-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Launching!

That's what I said, but he claims due to there high silicone content compared to normal hypereutectic pistons (Factory) they are equally as strong
Old 12-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

I think the higher the silicone content the more brittle the piston becomes
Old 12-20-2007, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

All hypereutectic pistons are "cast" pistons, meaning they are poured into a mold, then machined to specs. Forged pistons are forged under pressure, then machined to specs. The forging process makes them stronger. No matter what material they are using, the "cast" style pistons are not stronger. That being said, the high silicone content makes them stronger than a cheap hypereutectic piston, but still not stronger than forged. I do not know the price of the GMPP pistons, but I am sure you can spend just a little extra dough and go forged. The GMPP pistons are probably lighter than lower priced forged pistons (Speed-Pro), but they are not stonger. I still say he is just trying to sell you some pistons. Same applies to crankshafts, cast is poured, forged is pressure forged. Cast steel cranks are stronger than cast iron crankshafts, but still cast.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 93ls7z
All hypereutectic pistons are "cast" pistons, meaning they are poured into a mold, then machined to specs. Forged pistons are forged under pressure, then machined to specs. The forging process makes them stronger. No matter what material they are using, the "cast" style pistons are not stronger. That being said, the high silicone content makes them stronger than a cheap hypereutectic piston, but still not stronger than forged. I do not know the price of the GMPP pistons, but I am sure you can spend just a little extra dough and go forged. The GMPP pistons are probably lighter than lower priced forged pistons (Speed-Pro), but they are not stonger. I still say he is just trying to sell you some pistons. Same applies to crankshafts, cast is poured, forged is pressure forged. Cast steel cranks are stronger than cast iron crankshafts, but still cast.
I totally agree w/ you but all cast parts should be lighter than forged parts b/c of how the molecules line up and are more dense. just throwing that out there.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Biggin'89
I totally agree w/ you but all cast parts should be lighter than forged parts b/c of how the molecules line up and are more dense. just throwing that out there.
Yes, but the manufacturer can remove more material from the forged piston because it is more dense, therefore making them lighter, all other things being the same (wrist pin height, diameter, etc.). Same goes for crankshafts, the cast cranks are lighter because they are cast. That is, until you approach higher priced forgings with undercut journals, lightening holes and a gundrilled center. Sorry to hijack the thread Rocky70304.

Quick Reply: GMPP Pistons