LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Interesting Intake and Head Problem, Any Theories

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Intake and Head Problem, Any Theories

Alright, so this makes the second time. I installed a set of AFR heads on my car and a new set of rings since the engine was down anyways, I began burning MASSIVE amounts of oil, so after doing all kinds of figuring, I decided to pull the intake off, and low and behold I found the intake gaskets completely soaked in oil from about halfway up the gasket down on both sides, so I decided (through a guess) that the intake was warped in some way, got a brand new intake put it on there and still had the same problem, MASSIVE amounts of oil consumption upon acceleration (not at idle). So I pulled the engine and am going to do the bottom end, but when I got the intake off the gaskets were again soaked in oil from about midway up down to the valley. Do you guys think I may have an intake seal problem, if so what is the fix, and why? I figured new intake, new heads, should be no problem... Help, so I don't keep fighting this problem with the engine in....

Sorry the story was so long..
Old 12-21-2007, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you buy the AFRs new or used?

Sounds to me like the intake surface on them is not mating to the manifold properly which can happen if the heads are heavily milled for compression or something. It is correctable.

This will spark a lot of hate but AFR has some QC issues and if they are new it could be they were just machined badly, frankly I think you nade a mistake buying them atall.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Launching!

I bought them brand new from jegs, The only theory I can come up with exactly that the two are not matting for whatever reason and it needs milled to correct. But it seems like with a brand new set of heads this shouldn't be the case, unless I am wrong and people have ran into this before.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have an lt4 intake? I have heard that all of their heads are supposed to fit it. So u might just need your intake machined
Old 12-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Launching!

No, I have an edelbrock LT1 intake.. Is it the intake that needs machined, or the heads?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Which heads do you have?

Like I said AFR has had QC issues before and even besides that were a mistake.

If you use a embossed gasket likr the Victor Rienz they can take make up the difference with a lot of mismatch. A friend has POS AFRs on a motor with horrible angle match, the taper to a used set off his car is plainly visible to the naked eye. Think his is caused by machining shortcuts in the engine build though. He is trying to talk me into selling him back his stock heads I had ported because they make my heavier car with less displacement fast than his.

Might hit up a NAPA for the embossed Victor Rienz intake gasket set though, cost a little(very little) more than Felpro and contains less but if it seals for you it will be worth it.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Launching!

I have the 180cc LT1 heads on there, I used factory GM gaskets both time on it.. If this is the case will machining the head or the intake fix the problem, or perhaps machining both?
Old 12-21-2007, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Wow it just keeps getting worse, AFR heads and Edelbrock intake.

Stop believing everything magazines and advertizements tell you, THEY LIE.

You have spent a huge amount of money on parts that are not worthwhile.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the intake that needs machined, or the heads?
It is the intake.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Launching!

cool, i guess next week when the block goes to the machine shop, the intake will be going with it.. thanks man

Quick Reply: Interesting Intake and Head Problem, Any Theories