LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

my car is sputtering in low rpms and pops and backfires. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car is sputtering in low rpms and pops and backfires. Help!

a few months ago I put on headers and I blocked off the egr, but never removed it. For a couple months the car ran fine. Although, It still didn't seem to have as much power as it should have had with headers. After the header install the pcm threw a 0100 code for maf malfunction. Now it has five codes, but 2 of them are just from removing the rear 02 sensors, which is ok. The other three are 0100, 0400, which is egr malfuncion and 1657, which is skip shift malfunction. My car ran decent until the 0400 code came on and now the car runs like crap in lower rpms under heavy throttle. It pops and studders and lugs real bad and then once it gets past about 3k rpms or so, it goes away. What would cause the code to suddenly pop up??

Also, could the 0100 code be causing problems too? Would replacing the MAF sensor fix that?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First things first. Get a tune that will cancel out the codes for the egr the air pump and your rear O2 sensors. Then once you get rid of all those codes there will be less detective work. And it could just fix everything.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CRAZZ28
First things first. Get a tune that will cancel out the codes for the egr the air pump and your rear O2 sensors. Then once you get rid of all those codes there will be less detective work. And it could just fix everything.
If this advise does not help I would check o2 sensors , plugs and wires. I had this problem and it was a bad o2 sensor and some fouled plugs. I would first get it tuned though!
Old 12-30-2007, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by donkey mule
If this advise does not help I would check o2 sensors , plugs and wires. I had this problem and it was a bad o2 sensor and some fouled plugs. I would first get it tuned though!
you know...ir might be a fouled plug because about a month ago my car was really slow and i found out it was a plug wire that came loose from the spark plug and I recconnected it and it had power again, but while the plug wasn't operating it may have gotten fouled out. I really don't want to do plugs, It's a pain in the ***, but I should only need one, I just replaced all of them about 3 months ago.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ryanisfast
you know...ir might be a fouled plug because about a month ago my car was really slow and i found out it was a plug wire that came loose from the spark plug and I recconnected it and it had power again, but while the plug wasn't operating it may have gotten fouled out. I really don't want to do plugs, It's a pain in the ***, but I should only need one, I just replaced all of them about 3 months ago.
Yeah it is a real pain - unfortunately that is something that we have to deal with on the LT1's.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

one check all the wires, makes sure there not burnt. ( start the car in the dark and look for a spark)
next check the plugs.
have the car scanned and make sure the 02's (fronts) are functioning liike they should.
02's seem to go bad after being changed.
you do need a tune.
but if the 02's went bad, it could cause the car to run really rich and cause the plugs to foul.
have fun
Old 12-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically I will not throw out educated guesses, instead, recommend troubleshooting the problem with isolation techniques...BUT...

Your symptoms are a dead giveaway for a bad MAF sensor.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I would guess it is an 02 sensor problem since you say it goes away after 3k. If it was a fouled plug I would think it would be worse at high rpm.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

yeah, I'm pretty sure it is not the o2's. Like I said, I've had my car scanned and the only o2's that read not functioning are the rear o2's because I deleted them from the car. I guess I'll look into buying a new MAF. At least it's on e of the easiest things to replace on that car. And it does have the code 0100 for the maf, so I'll give it a shot.

Quick Reply: my car is sputtering in low rpms and pops and backfires. Help!