LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

solid roller??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solid roller??

Any one done a steertable solid lately and if so how was the out come. My car is going to see a trailer more than the street, but i may wanna hit the streets every now and then. Any help or ideas thanks!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whats your version of streetable?. Im just going to assume you have a grasp on what goes on as far as upkeep with a SR. But then again I dont think so b /c of your original question. I hope you know what your getting your self into.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he wants to be able to drive it 50 miles to the track and hope and race 10 passes without have to adjust rockers....

i told him to talk to bret bauer
Old 01-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Default Roller

I More Less Wanna Make It A Track Car I Know There Is Alot Of Adjusting Involved And I Dont Wanna Tear Up A High Dollar By Driving It!! I Will Make A Street Car Soon Enough This Car Has To Much Taken Out Of It To Be Considered A Street Car, So Im Interested In Making A Good Sr Motor For The Strip!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Default Sr

HOW Do I Get A Hold Of Bb Daniel.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used to run a solid roller setup on my 355 cube marine SBC's. Honestly alot of people talk of how much adjusting and maintenance is needed but most quote only what they have heard and have never experienced. I set the lash as called and checked a few times over the summer and the lash setting never changed. If your lash is constantly changing then something is wearing and not set up properly. Many have had problems with their roller lifters in low rpm situations. This problem has been offset by Pin Fed oiling lifters like Isky's Red Zones and Crower's models. Regardless of rpm these lifters always supply the roller bearings a steady supply of oil.

Solids do have drawbacks such as increased spring pressures that add more stress to your valvetrain. You should check the lash setting a couple times of year to make sure everything is ok. Solid's have their place but you need to examine your setup and see if its beneficial over a well setup hyd roller. HTH
Old 01-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Default Sr

I Agree Bro I Might Just Be As Good With A Le3 Kit And Leave It A Hydo Roller For Now
Old 01-09-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the keys to making a solid roller live. In no particular order.

Pressurized roller lifters

Oil pressure 30 psi or better at idle HOT.

Correct Springs, and GOOD springs

SHaft rockers

The correct oil. I Use Shell Rotella 15-40.

David
Old 01-09-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Even back in the day i did not have to adjust my solid cam very much.My high school ride
'72 chevy truck Ls6 454,11.5,306/310 110 610/630,this truck ran 11.9 and i checked it monthly and adjusted it 1 time,bought a stud girdle and in 1 year i adjusted them 3 times and that was with regular BEATING!

Do it right as my buddy David stated,solid roller,good springs,titanium retainers,10° locks,Jesel shaft rockers and you will make less valve adjustments to the rockers by far!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Default Sr

Yea I Think People Make It Out To Be A Nightmare Cant Be No Worse Than Anything Else. I Know Im Going To Get The Lloyd Le2 Or Le3 Head - Cam Kit So He Will Know Everything I Will Need To Buy To Go With His Package, Since He Will Be Making This All For A Sr. Otherwise I Would Be Lost As Far As Knowing What To Buy. This Will Be A Step I Have Never Taken Before So Im Guessing I Tell Him What I Want To Accomplish And He Will Say Ok It Will Be Xxx Amount Of Dollars! And Hell Port The Heads And Cut The Cam And Say U Need To Buy These Rockers And Lifters To Go With The Package U Just Got From Me. Put It On, Lash It And Bamm Im Done Lol!!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Here are the keys to making a solid roller live. In no particular order.

SHaft rockers

David
I usually dont disagree with you on things, but in this case I think I do. Some good RR with a stud girdle will work as well. 95formula ran this setup for along time and didnt have a trouble. Some shaft mounts would be good but for what hes doing i dont think he needs them.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Default Sr:

will one of yall explain the diff in these 2 setups for me thanks
Old 01-10-2008, 04:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MEAN LT1
I usually dont disagree with you on things, but in this case I think I do. Some good RR with a stud girdle will work as well. 95formula ran this setup for along time and didnt have a trouble. Some shaft mounts would be good but for what hes doing i dont think he needs them.
Here is the reason I see it this way, 95 Formula didnt street drive his car much that I know of. Any time you can add stability to the valvetrain it equals less wear and more HP. Less wear means less adjustments.

People make it out like the adjustment process is like going to the dentist or something. Takes me about 2 hrs if I dilly dally around. Once you make the initial adjustment during break in shouldnt be that many after that UNLESS there is a problem.

I left one requirement to making a solid roller live, and here it is....

GOOD EARS.

If you KNOW what to listen for you can save a catastrophic failure, not just with a solid roller either.

You guys that have never REALLY wrenched on cars, IMO need to stay away from a solid roller until you know what to listen for.

IOW, if you dont have 25-30 PSI of oil pressure HOT at idle, you need to leave the car parked and find out why. A solid roller does NOT like low idle oil pressure, you WILL kill it...a solid roller is NOT forgiving like a hydraulic roller setup.

David
Old 01-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Default Sr

i get what ur saying, really man the only time i plan on drining my car is at the track i might take it around the block here and there for good measure but i want a trailer queen lol! mainly cuz my other car got me in alot of trouble and i told myself if i get another car it is for the TRACK ONLY LOL!!! i prolly will get some help with the break in lash so i can be taught im a very good learner and been around cars my whole life, of course im no master tech but i can get around good, and i did grad from LTI that helped me some. What am i talking price wise for a good SR on a budjet, im not morgan and sons lol!! and i am going to go with the le2 or le3 kit not sure which one yet. My bud said that if i make a SR ill make a **** load more power and i would really only need the le2 prolly, cuz its good for around 400-420 with a hydra set up. Not to mention im going to have a lil juice on it

Quick Reply: solid roller??