LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Not sure what the problem is...ignition maybe

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure what the problem is...ignition maybe

well my '95 has developed a new problem. At random it just starts sputtering and dies, sometimes it dies without sputtering. At first i thought it may be a fuel issue. However my fuel pressure holds 50 psi. Then i started noticing that the tach drops instantly with the sputters, when it dies it drops to 0 instantly almost like a power cut. Sometimes it fires up in five minutes, sometimes hours, sometimes all night. when I crank it after it dies, it will try to fire on 1 or 2 cyl. and that's it.

now it's got to the point that it won't start at all, if it does it misses horrible.
I had thouht that maybe it was the ignition module so i swapped in one that I new was good, and that wasn't the problem.

this is a new one for me any help would be appreciated.

opti has about 2500 miles on it.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Possibly the IAC idle air control valve. Mine was doing similar things, hard to start, then would die soon after. Pretty much hard to hold an idle then sputter and die
Old 02-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

It sounds like a power lose from the opti, like the opti wiring harness. I had something simila, if I hit or tap the kick panel above the gas pedal my car would die but, I was hearing the fuel pump whinning come to find out it was a loose connection on the column relays.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:02 AM
On The Tree

Does it have spark to the plug when it wont start? But it does sound like your opti is shot.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:43 AM
Staging Lane

opti?!?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like the same problem I'm having with my car, it will just randomly die and the tach does the same thing as yours. In order to get mine to restart, I have to reset the computer, so I don't think it's my opti. I've never let mine sit for a long time to see if it would start. Have you tried resetting your comp. and see if it starts? Other then this, my car runs great, so I have NO clue on what to do...

Help us out guys!
Bill
Old 02-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

i am having a similar problem with my 97. the opti is about 10000 miles old, but i am gonna replace it soon to see. mine will not crank at first have to grind on it for like 20 seconds, then it fires. and the tach stopped working at the same time. so opti i shall try.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:57 AM
On The Tree

good info guys keep it comin.

98pontiacfirehawk I opti harness was installed new when i installed the new opti. Also I'm guessing it was the ower feed that was loose on your column relays.

honestly I haven't checked for spark yet when it doesn't start. Unil just recently it was just periodic problem. And I have had lots of other stuff going on just wanted to get some ideas before I jump into it.

Thanks for all the ideas guys keep them comin.

Quick Reply: Not sure what the problem is...ignition maybe