LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Headlight Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Mods

I finally got 4 new headlights for my camaro ($40 at the local autozone on close out ) and was going to do a headlight mod and replace the stock bulbs with 9005 silverstar Ultra headlights in all 4 lights. The lowbeams (9006) are 55 watts and the highbeams (9005) are 65 watts so there should be a noticeable difference especially with the silverstars. My question is does anyone want me to do some sort of write up or does one already exist? I can take lots of pictures and what not but if there is already something out there I won't worry about it.

I know this should be in the apperance section, but I figured more of the LTX guys would see it here
Old 04-27-2008, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Silverstars SUCK the blueish light is near dangerous in heavy rain, fog or snow, and the life is EXTREMELY short, Silvania will even admit they have a shorter lifespan. Headlights are like sparkplugs they wear and guys mistake whatever new ones they use for wonderful when new of whatever was there before would have been an improvement.

Been there done that, few years ago I put in Silverstars replacing the very old original bulbs, thought they were the best thing ever till I drove them in foul weather then one died at 6 months the other at 8, replaced them with some cheap GEs from Walmart and was just as happy with the light output and happier with the color in foul weather, all it n3eeded was fresh bulbs nothing fancy.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Launching!

I've had little luck with Silverstars too... ran them in both my cars, and yes, they die out quickly.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm, that's weird. i've been running my silverstars for two years now (15,000 miles) and they're still going. also, i've driven in snow/rain/fog with them and they seem to do just as good of a job as the OEMs. everyone i've talked to say they like the silverstars better too, and they've never had any bulbs blow either...
Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Silverstars SUCK the blueish light is near dangerous in heavy rain, fog or snow, and the life is EXTREMELY short, Silvania will even admit they have a shorter lifespan.
silverstars don't have a blue-ish tint to them. they shine at 4000K
Old 04-27-2008, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

They are a lot more blue than stock or normal replacements mostly because of the blue coating on the bulb, anyone questioning the competence of the posters in this thread look at the Silverstars at the parts store.
I did not mean to call them outright blue but they are a white with a slight blue to them and in fog and snow in particular it bounces back badly.

Down under performance Sylvania even admits the lower life span even in marketing material designed top play them up and sell bulbs. http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...skedQuestions/

I am going to try xtravisions supposed to be similar to the Silverstar output and pattern but without the coating so they will be easier to see in foul weather and hopefully run cooler and last longer. A good bit cheaper too and if I only get a year out of them I can live with that.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
They are a lot more blue than stock or normal replacements mostly because of the blue coating on the bulb
that's absolutely ridiculous. the blue coating on the bulb does not make a blue hue to the light... the correct phrase is "they are a lot more white than stock or normal replacements." the coating actually diminishes the yellow from the light. this is called "additive color mixing." the three primary colors are RGB, and when blue is added to a yellow wavelength, the result is white light.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

I converted to Hella FF75s I can post up pics if you want
Old 04-27-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 95GreenZ28
Yeah please do man, I'd appreciate it.

As for everyone else you posted your thoughts so drop it, there are more important things to worry about. Your argueing about lights for f*ck sake

I have run my 9006/9005 silverstars in my Tahoe all winter and in the rain, I also have them in my jeep, everyone that rides with me at night can't even believe the output of them. Plus I don't drive my car in the rain unless I get caught in it and can't help it, the whether man isn't always right and I'm sure as hell not going to drive my camaro in the snow so I don't have to worry about it there. The reason for this post was to ask if anyone wanted me to do a "how-to" for installing different bulbs in the factory glass headlights, not to argue about the actual thoughts on the lights

Thanks for the replies though guys
Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah, I'm using a Texeon 8000k bulb (non HID) they are so blue that you can hardly see the road at night. They are brighter but blue is bad, maybe not so much with HID 's but these regular bulbs are bad.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Alright I'll just do the install and no write up, I can see this turning into a big pissing match
Old 04-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Alright I'll just do the install and no write up, I can see this turning into a big pissing match
ahhhh - do the pics & writeup if you like man; don't let a couple bad apples spoil the bunch. I wouldn't mind seeing some differences
do what you do
Old 04-28-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95GreenZ28
please do
Old 04-28-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've ran highs in the lows twice. 1st was my 94 Park Ave that had the capsules(?) bulbs, and the high beams just needed the little plastic ridge inside the plug area taken out, then it fit in perfect. Since they were a single housing, the low beams were lower than highs, so it wasn't like I was shining other cars, it just lit up the road more. The 2nd was a 85 Suburban with the dual-duals (top/bottom, not like 90s~ side-side), but I painted them purple with that anodized spray paint lol I only did it because I had chameleon flames and the most noticeable color was purple (but it was a 5 color chameleon). Surprisingly, I never got pulled over for it, and with the highs in the lows, it shone really well. I can take a pic if anyone likes, I have one of them still.

Personally, I prefer the Extra Visions by Silv. They are yellow (which I also prefer), but brighter than normals, so you don't really have to run highs in the lows.

Problem with Camaros is their thin headlights are SOOO expensive, makes me happy to have a Firebird

I'm curious how red anodized over the bulbs (not the bulbs them self mind you, but the glass outside) would fair. Red shines better, and I believe farther, due to the wavelength. Military uses red filters on their flashlights because it doesn't light up a whole room like w/o a filter. On the same not, that might be it's downfall. If I decide to get new bulbs, I could always paint my old ones first and try it out.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i have had a bad experience already with silverstars... bought the sealed replacements for my car for like $40... and in two days one of my brights went out... 2 DAYS! but i dont use my brights very often anyway just because my switch for the brights doesnt work right all the time and it sometimes gets stuck on the brights unless you hit it back kinda hard, and i dont want to break it again and tear into the steering wheel... so ill stick with the dims and wait till one of those go out... then ill go with another brand for sure...also had troubles with them in my truck and had to replace them like once every 6 months or so
Old 04-28-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my silverstars look blue on video, but in person they are white.

see this video: my headlights look blue, but they are VERY white in person lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMjVqcK_NcY

Quick Reply: Headlight Mods