LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cam is in so whats next?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam is in so whats next?

the car 97 lt1 w/ tb,cb,cam cc503, cai, untuned, and stock heads and valvetrain. was that at bad move with the cam. if so or if not what am i looking at as far as power gains. i want to go with some 1.6rr but i have to wait on funds. i guess i am looking for some direction on what to do next when the funds come in. thanks,
Old 04-30-2008, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

First are foremost you say stock valvetrain...does that mean you running the stock springs? If so they need to be changed out immediately because stock springs cannot handle anymore lift than the stock cam and you will create some problems if you dont address that. I think you did the cam too early but besides needing valvetrain (springs, rockers, pushrods, etc.) you need to get some headers on there because your choking the cam to death without them. I would do all that then tune it. I assume the car is a manual if its an auto you need to get a stall or it will drive poorly.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would get a tune and some longtubes before anything else.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Teching In

no it an at. how bad is it. meaning can i drive it at all? and what kind of springs should i put in? and yes when i say stock i mean stock. everything
Old 04-30-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

i would get some new springs, rockers, and at least a mail order tune before you even start the engine
Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldnt even start that motor until the correct springs are in there. I want to stress that because not running some $200 springs designed for your cam could/will result in damage to your motor that would cost 10x more than that. Some decent good priced springs would be the Crane 10308-1 kit. I would complete the valvetrain. Then I would get Headers, a Stall, and then a tune. I hate to tell you but you really should have gotten the stall and headers first and really not even done the cam until you had the rest of the valvetrain too. The car will run pretty shitty with the stock stall and I know from experience b/c I made that mistake with running the cc503 on the stock stall at one time. It had bad vacumn, surged alot in the low rpm's, and stalled often.

Read Part 2 in this link, it will educate you on the valvetrain and what areas you need to address and why:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/836200-stock-head-cam-cam-swap-guide.html
Old 04-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Teching In

i am not planing on hot rodding it until i do get the springs and rockers. but i do need to drive it. so is it driveable if not pushed hard? this sucks. i am not planning on driving it very much at since i deploy in a month. and when i get back i was going to finish my lil (now) pain in the *** project.

Last edited by dgreg; 04-30-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dgreg
i am not planing on hot rodding it until i do get the springs and rockers. but i do need to drive it. so is it driveable if not pushed hard? this sucks.
I would not even crank over the motor. The springs will more than likely go into coil bind (maximum compression of the spring till its solid) and this will cause a major failure in the motor. I cant tell you if they would do that immediately or in an hour or a week or what I dont know that much but its not worth the risk and I would assume it to occur asap. Hopefully someone else can chime in about the coil bind and if it would occur immediately or what.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

if your poor like me i think the lt4 springs may work as long as you dont do much hot rodding and they are dirt cheap. but the cranes will work the better.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Teching In

is changing out the springs easy to do. cause i dont want to break down on my way home from the shop. what i am asking is can this be done in a parking lot. and where can i get the crane springs fast? i pick the car up tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, valve springs deff need to be addressed. It can be done in a parking lot, but it may take a few hours because you will need to adjust the valve timing. You would need a spring compressor tool and a basic socket set. The best place to get them is summit... cheap and fast.

Your car isn't going to run very well untuned and unstalled. I drove my car for a few months like that and it was just fine, that may have been since I was on a 114 lsa. It never stalled out on me or surged very much at all. The tune can wait, but those springs wont hold for long.

You'd have to get the details about them but he has some double style springs good til .600 lift. (you would also need the locks and retainers).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=valve+springs