LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HOw to adjust Throttle Cable Length, IAT Readings and Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOw to adjust Throttle Cable Length, IAT Readings and Idle

So I am not having much luck looking up what I need here.

Basically I put in a Holley 58MM TB. The Idle is a little low and it tries to die at times so I need to raise it... I assume its either an air screw or the one I see on the back that stops the Throttle linkage plate.

Also the Throttle Linkage is kinda long now it seems. I do not think when I floor it I am getting it open all the way. How can I adjust this? I have not looked hard at the cable itself but I have been looking through the Basic Repair book and yeah.... nothing on this or anything else with the TB so far.

Lastly I keep getting the same SES, IAT To high... I am wondering if these above are causing it or what I should do.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

make sure the iat is plugged in
Old 05-09-2008, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

I will double check but I am sure it is I snaped it in place.

However the throttle cable is my big concern....
Old 05-09-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Did you machine the intake manifold to 58 mm?

The cables 'should" land exactly as stock, not sure why yours don't.

idle issues, surge are common with aftermarket TB's.

You can crack the screw in some from behind the TB to keep the blades open but that typically causes other issues. Wrong TPS and IAC counts.

The TPS wants to read .67 vdc closed and 4.5 vdc full open. IAC counts want to be about 32 (25-35) at idle with engine up to operating temp. You need a scan tool to measure IAC counts and TPS but you can use a volt meter to read TPS.

if you have a automatic you will need to have PCM recalibrated for higher line pressure or tranny problems will follow.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
You can crack the screw in some from behind the TB to keep the blades open but that typically causes other issues. Wrong TPS and IAC counts.

The TPS wants to read .67 vdc closed and 4.5 vdc full open. IAC counts want to be about 32 (25-35) at idle with engine up to operating temp. You need a scan tool to measure IAC counts and TPS but you can use a volt meter to read TPS..
.54v is common TPS voltage, and not many get to 4.5v WOT. I know I only get 3.99v and I modded mine so I can adjust the voltage, I put it at .57v during idle. That's why SLP made the TPS Enhancer to send a 4.5v signal to the ECM/PCM so it senses it's REALLY at WoT

With that said, you could oblong out the holes on the TPS and then either get a voltmeter and check it, or use a scanner (which I did for live readings). Then once you adjust it, you can then adjust the TPS so it's back to normal voltage.

The other common mod is to drill the small hole in the blades, bigger, and then you don't have to monkey with the TPS or idle position.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Well I still can not figure out how to adjust it.... its def 1/4 of a push before it moves the TB any and its not close to opening all the way. Seems I am lost here for getting throttle reponse....

After that I will play with it. I do not think the stop point was set right so that was the issue but until then I will play with it once the car actually can hit WOT.

Wasn't there also somethiung from SLP that played with the voltage?

I have found if I unsnap the other plug for the Cable off the ASR to the main TB I can pull the slack out and it will open like it should...... so I again have no idea what to think.

Last edited by Cross; 05-09-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a throttle body spacer heh That'll take up the slack and also give you a small bit extra plenum volume! No, I don't know where to get one for an LT1/TPI.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

I was thinking the same thing.... seems to be the only thing I can think of too....

Quick Reply: HOw to adjust Throttle Cable Length, IAT Readings and Idle