LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hard Starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hard Starting

Ok guys I been through hell with my car haha It's DEFINATLY a hate/love relationship...so I got 2 questions...

anyways, I go to start my car and it takes a while to start, like it's cranky alot longer than it use to... sometimes I stop cranking it cause it just doesn't turn-over right away... but it does eventually start and the RARE time it does start it Idle's like I got a cam!?! so I shut it off and then start it again and it's gone!?, any idea's?

also another question I turn my key to the on position, and the "low oil." light comes on and stays on even if I turn it over?! BUT if I shut it off and wait sometimes the "low oil." light goes away, and no I am not low on oil, is this another stupid sensor somewhere? lol

ANY help would be appreciated!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant answer the startup question but i do know that the oil level sensor is on the side of the oil pan. mine went bad too.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
cant answer the startup question but i do know that the oil level sensor is on the side of the oil pan. mine went bad too.
alright then are they cheap? lol it gets really annoying haha
Old 05-19-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually i dont know. i just unhooked mine because i have bigger things going wrong with the car right now and dont have the money to replace it.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

ahhh ok then and bigger problems you don't even know man, I have been through a Rear-end and Motor! like I said it's a true HATE/LOVE relationship for me haha
Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Check your fuel pressure, mine was do something very very similar and it ended being my fuel pump on the way out.

If you prime the pump a few times does it start easier?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Laffs
Check your fuel pressure, mine was do something very very similar and it ended being my fuel pump on the way out.

If you prime the pump a few times does it start easier?
Yes it does seem to do that!...

I GOT A WALBORO fuel pump ready so I'm good to go if it's that! haha but there in-tank fuel pumps if I'm not mistaken anyone no a link or a "how to." to replace one?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem with the hard start for about a month. I don't know why but one day it just went away. I even tried putting a new sending unit and it didnt fix the problem. Kinda weird but good luck to you.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Earx95LT1
ahhh ok then and bigger problems you don't even know man, I have been through a Rear-end and Motor! like I said it's a true HATE/LOVE relationship for me haha
i hear ya man. my rear is going out, and my trans is slipping. now my air quit working and we are getting near the hella hot GA summer.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Earx95LT1
Yes it does seem to do that!...

I GOT A WALBORO fuel pump ready so I'm good to go if it's that! haha but there in-tank fuel pumps if I'm not mistaken anyone no a link or a "how to." to replace one?
Mine had a trap door mod already installed, so all I did was remove the door cover, pull lines off the pump, unbolt the pump, remove pump, use an exacto to separate the bucket from the lid, remove old pump and filter, install new pump and harness, install new filter, glue bucket back together with fuel safe glue, let dry overnight, bolt back in, attached lines, done.

I'll find you the walk throught I used.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

u need a new pump, i know we have already established that. but i have buddies who did the trap door method and had a lot of issues with it. I just had my fuel pump go out and ordered walpro pump from nastyperformance and went ahead and dropped the tank... if ur gonna do it, do it the right way.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

you guys sure I need a new pump lol it's been doing this for some quite time... off and on... and hasn't fully died on me yet or will it?