LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Questions on multiple matters. Frost plugs, tranny and rear spring dampener

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Questions on multiple matters. Frost plugs, tranny and rear spring dampener

First off, a fairly easy question: What do the stock frost plugs look like? I only ask, because my block has the frost plug heatsinks that pop off when a motor is over heated, and my buddy doesn't think they come like that factory, nor do I. That, and it also has numbers on it, so I'm pretty sure it's from a salvage yard and has a rebuild. Which, is good and bad I guess. Bad since I don't know anything about the motor and if it's punched out, I'd like to know so I can adjust my tune to that.

Secondly, the transmission. Was working great, no problems at all, but with my low shift points my friend figured my detent was out of adjustment a bit. So, since he's been working on cars for about 15years, I let him adjust it, he's done it before on vehicles I've owned. Now it doesn't shift into second like it used to (firm and immediate, but not slamming in) and whines. So after a few adjustments later, nothing has changed. So at that point the shifting now is slow and kind of as if it's slipping. I go home for the night with it adjust back (loose) a bit. On the way home I got on it a bit and it second and REALLY hit second, but it still delayed shifting, and STILL whines So today I pull off the pan, put in a new filter and fill it up. Figured maybe it was low or a bit over filled. Fluid is as red as if it was new and smelled new as well, no burnt color or smell to it at all. Had him adjust it again, went around the block, still felt the same and figured oh well. On the highway though, different story! If I stomp on it, it kicks down fine but just feels like a pooch, and it shouldn't since I just put in new plugs today (old ones were REALLY old). A little further down the highway and I just get on it VERY lightly, and it feels like it's hesitating between kicking down and unlocking the converter, and going between both of those stages. At this point, the only WOT I've done is on the highway there. So I figured I'd let it rip, and it REALLY ripped. However sadly I couldn't tell if the hasty revving was from the roads being wet, and having DRs so just total tire spin, or a horrible slip :\ I test it again and pretty much the same situation, but this time I could at least tell it was tire spin. Monday I'll be calling TCI, and the local one has some knowledgeable guys there. Just seeing what everyone else thinks about this.

Then it comes to the spring dampeners, which are those thick *** rubber 'plates' that sit on top of the rear springs. A nice 'mod' is to remove them and put rubber hose on the spring to keep it from making a lovely metal on metal noise. However, my issue is that it sounds like my shocks are loose and clattering all about. Basically sounds like my whole rear end is falling apart heh However the shocks are tight and the springs as well. Anyone else done this mod and had the same thing happen?

I'm at a loss really. Dejected too, with this whole transmission ordeal If my trans kicks the bucket, I know I'm going to have to sell the Bird, and this'll be my second that has to go due to a major part going out.

Thanks, and feel free to ask any questions if something needs clarification.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

No one has a pic (or can take one) of the stock frost plugs? :\

Ideally I'd rather see what people think about the trans, since that's a problem now, but I'll take what I can get

I suppose I should go out and run it now that the roads are dry and see how heavy throttle in first feels. Because if it rips through the tires, then something is very odd considering before it wouldn't, I'd hook good.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock frost plug are unremarkable. Same as you'd find in any other engine. I can take a pic later. Don't know about the trans. I've already cut the spring rubbers in half with a hack saw to make them thinner.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm just curious if the stock plugs come with the over-heat heatsink (when it falls off, lets you know the motors been overheated before). If it comes on a stock motor, then I know mine is probably stock, but if it doesn't, then I know mine has had work and I need to somehow find out what's been done.

I was thinking about cutting them in half myself, and it appears that might be what I'll end up having to do.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock motors do not come with heat tabs.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well then, now the search for the paperwork I had on my desk here which has the previous-previous owners name is in effect

Thanks Fergy.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=Formula350;9470996]First off, a fairly easy question: What do the stock frost plugs look like? [QUOTE]

What's a "frost plug" ? Is that something like a "freeze plug", but ejects
when there is frost on the trees?

http://picasaweb.google.com/calder.c...28244788260658

The stock freeze plug is the thing pointed by the red arrow.

What you are referring to is a heat tab, which is popular with engine rebuild
shops. They use it so that when you bring the car back with problems, they
can say, "see, you overheated your engine, which voids your warranty".
Old 06-01-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Frost plug, freeze plug, different areas call it different things.

Google both terms and you'll see they are the exact same critter
Old 06-01-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Formula350
Frost plug, freeze plug, different areas call it different things.

Google both terms and you'll see they are the exact same critter
It was a failed attempt at humor.

Quick Reply: Questions on multiple matters. Frost plugs, tranny and rear spring dampener