LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Just picked up an MSD Opti, would you like my opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just picked up an MSD Opti, would you like my opinion?

The best answer you can give to my title is "NO, your OPINION means NOTHING!".....

But in all seriousness, I just got my pro-billet optispark in the mail and its going on the LT1 hawk before the 3rd (whenever I get off my lazy *** and get it done).......Just checking the forums here to see if you guys would like me to post up impressions/actual results.

I have seen alot of posts asking about optis, MSD optis, how well they work, what to get, is it worth the money ect (Yes, I lurk alot ).... So I figured I could give a little first hand input as I have one in my hands, and I know a thing or two about the system so I can put some of these threads to rest.

I am a trained GM tech, and have many years experience with a wide range of vehicles.....Especially y/b/f bodies as we ALL know they are the best! (LT1 or LS1 alike)

My Initial thoughts? :

This thing looks awsome, but we have ALLLLL seen it....Nice machined billet backing, NEW high/low res sensors and timing adjustment screw, the rotor lost some weight and "apparently" is better balanced, brass contacts, extra screws to hold it togeather and to top it off, a BRAND new opti harness is included with all of them (as far as I know). Looks to be made of a "better" composite material also....

My last delco (origional) opti bit the big one at 66k, the rotor bearings were grinding, and eventually got the dreaded opti codes one by one. If anyone is interested in me continuing this little review, post it up here and I will keep checking back.... I do not by any means drive my car easy, it gets all the best parts, but does not lead an easy life.....So I figured if this can stand up to me, then others might be interested to try it. So post up guys, let me know if all this typing is going to be worth something, or should I just take it somewhere else
Old 06-01-2008, 01:42 AM
Staging Lane

I'm interested in what you have to say, so please go ahead; especially since I have a 95 Firehawk as well.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Aha! good stuff, lay it on me.....Whats she packin'?

And yes, I figure this might put some of those opti question threads to rest soon enough (some, of course not all).

Edit : I have some nice pics of the opti before it goes in, but again, Im sure we have all seen it.....
Old 06-01-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
And yes, I figure this might put some of those opti question threads to rest soon enough (some, of course not all).
Sadly, it won't :\ But, by all means review away!
Old 06-01-2008, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Haha yeah, a little wishful thinking on my part.....But wouldent we all like to see some sort of reduction, however small?

Plus, im interested to beat this thing and see how it turns out, so I may aswell be taking notes along the way.......seen about 50/50 people hate/love it......Id like to love it to tell you the truth
Old 06-01-2008, 02:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for bringing it up I forgot I need to send my test cap and rotor back. Still a little contact at 7,200 shifts but held up well
Old 06-01-2008, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

TwoFast, you test just the cap and rotor for MSD? 7200 shifts, pretty respectable.......held up nice? Notice anything off when you took it apart?

High revs killed my OE opti, although they are still pretty damn tough in my book.....So high revs is what the MSD will get, and thats really what I will be reviewing....

Edit : Thats one bad looking camaro also, that thing is definitely an eye catcher.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Fact is they are much more trouble prone than stockers but most of the guys that made the mistake of buying them are going to blindly defend it because that is easier than admitting a mistake.

IMO an MSD cap and rotor on a stock base is a good thing but the whole MSD opti does NOT deliver as promised.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not had any issues with my MSD in the 5k miles I have been beating on it:shrug:
Old 06-01-2008, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

Only opti problem I have had it more than 185K miles on LTx ownership is a single worn cap and rotor. My "low milage" car has 128K the high milage one has 227K. One car had like 30K miles put on it cam only before doing the current heads and cam which I have 15-16K on. Current opti base in that car has about 85K miles on it, put an MSD cap and rotor on when I did the heads and cam.

Friend has LT1 daily drivers for both he and his wife, hers for like 5 years now and his for three, his is cammed, never an opti problem between them.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah for the most part factory Optis are pretty damn tough, I just wanted to try something I felt dident really get a good chance.....I see alot of MSD bashing floating around, and based on the quality things I have seen MSD turn out, I really had to give em' that chance.

Like I said before, its really 50/50.......and most of the bashing I saw before was because people simply did not loc tite the rotor screws down and lost em at high RPM. (Yes, before anyone asks, I did loc tite them down.....I would do it with ANY opti if you intend on revving it past stock).

So we will see, if its bad I will not defend it quite obviously (although some have been saying people defend MSD because they paid so much).....But I really do not think MSD would turn out a BAD product......So it gets my test this week, and if for any reason it does not perform, it comes off for a Delco opti!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
Yeah for the most part factory Optis are pretty damn tough, I just wanted to try something I felt dident really get a good chance...
Had you considered the Dynaspark? If so, why did you choose the MSD
over the Dynaspark? http://www.dynaspark.net/advantage/
Old 06-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Banned

I feel it is better then a stock unit if revving high. On the stock short block mine was going 6800-7000. Wasn't worried about the motor, it was gettting replaced anyways. I don't know where it went when the 10 bolt came apart a 225 hit.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I would change about the MSD is I would do away with the adjustable timing screw.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey 96 what are you going to do when they stop malking your coveted Stock Opti?
Old 06-01-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Fact is they are much more trouble prone than stockers but most of the guys that made the mistake of buying them are going to blindly defend it because that is easier than admitting a mistake.
Must you troll every optispark thread? Or every thread in general?

My MSD is holding up great @ 6K. Granted, I also run a coil conversion.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I have one so I feel 'qualified" to respond vs the opinions of one's who have not run one yet but post negative points on what they think or hear.

with that said it has not been on the car long enough to say if it is "better". My $.02 is the MSD unit is constructed better in the case, bearing, rotor & cap area. It addresses moisture exposure problems with it's sealed harness and "O" ring on the cap. The MSD unit should hold up to high (above 6000 RPM) revs better than a stock unit. Using LockTite on the rotor screws is mandatory on any Opti.

For a stock or bolt on motor a OEM opti is fine and there are 100,000's of them on LT 1 cars. if you are asking your motor to make more power and spin higher the Opti, along with many other engine parts, is something to 'upgrade". The MSD unit addresses many of the known problems and for those of us who have purchased them hopefully they will prove their worth over the long run. In my case the MSD unit is now living as long as any OEM unit i have had in a built motor.

The fact the MSD unit has a timing adjustment, IMHO, is usless on a computer/FI car.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Hey 96 what are you going to do when they stop malking your coveted Stock Opti?

Never had a base/bearing, module fail and have soem spares so I really don't see it being an issue for me if they stopped selling bases tomorrow.

I thought you had used the MSD and had it fail in short order??
Old 06-01-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by caldercay
Had you considered the Dynaspark? If so, why did you choose the MSD
over the Dynaspark? http://www.dynaspark.net/advantage/
I had been reading recently that Dynasparks customer service was not up to par, and I think for most of us backing your product is very important. (I do not know the truth in this, just read a couple threads recently pertaining to Dynaspark customer service).

On the other hand, back when the MSD was new I read about a few failures that MSD replaced no questions asked. Just had to send your unit back. So I had to go with the MSD, But yes I did look at everything available (Accel, Dynaspark, OE Obviously, MSD ect...) even the LTCC and Deltec (Which I may still go with after everything is back togeather, I like the idea).
Old 06-01-2008, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Delteq is effectively gone, owner is ill and all support has ceased. LTCC still needs a functional opti base, and if you have that all you would need to fix the car is a cap and rotor kit.

http://camaroz28.com/forums/showthre...t=rivet&page=2 read from post 43 on

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...highlight=opti read the whole thing.

Quick Reply: Just picked up an MSD Opti, would you like my opinion?