LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can't decide on a cam, HELP (Yes I Read the Sticky)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't decide on a cam, HELP (Yes I Read the Sticky)

ok guys, I have been on here night after night for about 2 weeks now buying parts and researching everything I can about LT1's, and I just can't quite seem to figure out which cam would be best for my setup. Please help me decide. I used to have a bolt on LS1 Trans Am and my goal is to be faster than that car was at 12.54. The camaro will be running full weight.

I have a 94 Z28 camaro A4 with 3.23's
Engine is in the process of being rebuilt.. stock internals with new rings,bearings, and lifters
Pacesetter Lt's
Full exhaust (haven't decided whether I'm doing true duals or not)
3000+ stall
LS1 style air lid conversion
Stock heads milled down .01 with ported bowls and high flow race valves

This build is not completely set in stone so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know

Last edited by ryle; 06-01-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are your goals other than track times? Does this car need to be at all streetable?

The mods you listed along with some DRs and even a smaller cam (like the hotcam) should be capable of getting at least close to 12.5x.....
Old 06-01-2008, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Are emissions a concern?
Is driveability a concern?
Is this a weekend warrior or a daily driver?
What kind of idle are you looking for?
How high are you willing to spin the motor to?
Are you going to up the gearing from the 3.23's that you currently have?

We have to know atleast all of that to give you a real and true recommendation. Pretty much any cam with the proper supporting mods can run a 12.5 or faster.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for pickin up my slack Stealth, you nailed a few there that are more than fairly important to most. But everything is important, so leave us a nice list of what your goals/wants/needs are (dont be afraid to write an essay). More info = Right cam choice.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, here goes...
The car will see mainly street use but does not necessarily need to be too quiet, a little lope would be nice. I would say that the car could be a little more on the weekend warrior side as I will probably drive it to and from work daily, which is only about 3 miles, and the just come home unless I have a reason to bring it out. I don't really want to spin the motor too high considering I will have a stock rotating assembly, probably around 6500. I live in a town where emissions is no concern so I was planning on eliminating the egr and air as well as going without cats

Really if possible I would like to be low 12's to high 11's
Old 06-01-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, if your looking for 11s, youd be better off going with something custom made for you by one of the good sponsors here. A cam that gets you to the 11s is going to be very bumpy, no doubt. As long as your not concerned with the car idling real choppy, 11s should be possible with something big.

If I had to toss something out there thats straight off the shelf, it might be something like the GM847 or the CC306....But you could get something with similar specs and make more power if it were a custom grind, and by the sound of it you want all you can get.

I like the 847 myself, and have seen some great numbers cam only, and even better numbers with a decent set of heads (not to mention the thing sounds beast!). I will be going with something this size or similar when I pickup my LE2 heads/intake this winter.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had been thinking about something like the 306 but everyone that I talked to told me that I would have to rev the motor too high to make any real power from it.
How exactly would I go about customizing a cam? what info do i need and about how much would something like this run me?
Old 06-01-2008, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

BUY MY NITROUS SETUP!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol, that might happen in the future, but right now I'm lookin for all motor and nitrous doesn't help me pick a cam

Last edited by ryle; 06-01-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id recommend the LT4 hot cam. i run it in my daily driver firehawk and it is a perfect streetable cam. i can drive it cross country, round town, and still beat up on most other street cars. it is also one of the more fuel efficient cams you will find for any engine. just throwing that out there.

karl
Old 06-01-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Who will do custom grinds of the top of my head? Call Comp tomorrow, and tell them what you just told us. Then they will either tell you they have an off the shelf cam that will fit your tastes, OR they will grind a custom one to YOUR wants for a little bit more. Best part about that is they can even match springs ect. for you to what you tell them.

On custom grinds, people like Bret Bauer (spelling?) come to mind.....There are MANY others, maybe a couple people with some of their grinds can chime in and give you some options.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Your best bet would more than likely be going custom. You could contact Bret Bauer, Advanced Induction, Cam Motions etc. about that. The cc306 would work but really should be revved a little higher than 6500 to get the most out of it. You would do good with a cam like the Crane 831 or cc503 or something along those lines. Whats nice about custom is that you could get a cam with the duration that you should be around (less than that of the 230/244 cc306, more like in the mid 220's on the intake) but make the same power as a cam such as the cc306, even sound the same. That way you can keep your motor in one piece and at the same time really get the most out of it. For reference sake, I have a custom grind cam that was matched to my car. I wanted something to work with my 3600 stall, 3.73's, emissions not being a concern, good drivability, very choppy idle, but most importantly I wanted to be able to shift it at 6400 and get the most out of it. The size of my cam in terms of duration is VERY similar to the cc503 which is a 224/230.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^Speaking of custom grinds how is that going for you Stealth? Did you already get everything thrown back together? I haven't seen you post up with dyno numbers or sound clips like you did when you 1st got the cc503.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

I am very happy with my CC306 it starts pulling around 2 grand and by 3 grand is a beast. I however would go custom grind if I had to do it over again. Of course the 847 seems like it could be a very nicve off the shelf cam too.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by porksoda
^^^Speaking of custom grinds how is that going for you Stealth? Did you already get everything thrown back together? I haven't seen you post up with dyno numbers or sound clips like you did when you 1st got the cc503.
Im still in the process of putting stuff together unfortunately. I cant wait to be done with it all but I will post up some numbers and clips dont worry haha.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Stock, unported heads?
Compression bump?
Bigger valves?
Pacesetter LTs?
LS1 airlid?

Sounds like my setup exactly, I have the CC306 and it friggin' rips from about 3 grand on up and I shift around 6400 and make peak HP(371) at 6200.

Grab the CC306, the naysayers here do not speak from experience, only from what they have heard from a PCM tuner and a guy who sells custom cams. Custom grind better? yeah probably, but costs triple the price, and isn't gonna make much more power. My cam lopes like a ****, has zero cam surge, and awesome street manners thanks to my kickass dyno tune.

Make sure and throw some 1.6 rockers in there too.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fireman
Stock, unported heads?
Compression bump?
Bigger valves?
Pacesetter LTs?
LS1 airlid?

Sounds like my setup exactly, I have the CC306 and it friggin' rips from about 3 grand on up and I shift around 6400 and make peak HP(371) at 6200.

Grab the CC306, the naysayers here do not speak from experience, only from what they have heard from a PCM tuner and a guy who sells custom cams. Custom grind better? yeah probably, but costs triple the price, and isn't gonna make much more power. My cam lopes like a ****, has zero cam surge, and awesome street manners thanks to my kickass dyno tune.

Make sure and throw some 1.6 rockers in there too.

MadZ28, Bret Bauer, Lloyd Elliot, and Advanced Induction dont know **** BTW a custom grind cost $100-150 more than an off-the shelf not triple the price.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Madz28 is a PCM tuner, Lloyd Elliot is a head porter, and Bret Bauer is a douche that is trying to sell custom grinds. He has called BS on my car several times until I send him the dyno sheet. I think the last time was how there was no way the valvesprings I am using could work. Wrong again, no valve float at all, anywhere.

Remember, anyone selling cams is biased towards what they are selling.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fireman
Madz28 is a PCM tuner, Lloyd Elliot is a head porter, and Bret Bauer is a douche that is trying to sell custom grinds. He has called BS on my car several times until I send him the dyno sheet. I think the last time was how there was no way the valvesprings I am using could work. Wrong again, no valve float at all, anywhere.

Remember, anyone selling cams is biased towards what they are selling.
quite possibly but lets not ignore the facts...The cc306 is a GREAT cam that has proven itself over and over again, that cannot be argued. However, for a person not willing to rev the car to where they should to get the optimal gains from it, should probaly look into something a tad smaller. Where should a car with the cc306 be revved to? Theres tons of variables on that but it should really be revved beyond 6500 in this particular persons case to get the most out of it. It will still work well with his setup but there may be and more than likely will be some power left out on the table if 6500 is the limit. The OP did say hes running 3.23's and will be running a 3000+ Stall. He would really need to change the gearing to say a 3.73 to get the full benefits of a larger cam like the cc306 and run a stall a little larger than a 3000. He did not say whether he plans to change the gears or not but if not the 306 or the like is a little too much cam for 3.23's.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

This argument needs to be put to rest. If you don't own a car with a cc306 then don't try to explain how it works and where it needs to be revved. Stealth, you're a really nice guy and have a ton of valuable knowledge but you're still wrong. As I already told you my car is only revving to 6400 max. This cam makes power to about 6100 so this is exactly where it needs to be as you already said yourself in the past. I'm not here to bash you but not everyone has the same goals and most people want to hear the truth about choices they have. I hope you don't take this wrong.

Quick Reply: Can't decide on a cam, HELP (Yes I Read the Sticky)