LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me!

Ok so last week after i got back from my road trip the car ignition was very hard to turn i had to force it to start it. the day after the car completely wouldnt start so i figured it was the starter right. Wrong put a new starter in and no fix anyone have ideas?
Old 06-21-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

we need more info..does it crank at all? or is just just clicking?
Old 06-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

no it doesnt crank at all or turnover at not really a click just nothin.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

In your original post you said " the car ignition was very hard to turn i had to force it to start it " was the ignition key hard to turn or was the starter straining and cranking slow ? You should hear the solenoid picking or clicking if ign is OK , put on the headlights and see if they go out when trying to start it, if so suspect bad battery or loose bat terminal connection. If not suspect ign switch. The security lite should go on for 5 seconds and then go out, normal operation, if it stays on the starter is disabled.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

The igniton key was hard to turn the solenoid clicks but the starter motor doesnt crank at all and the security light stays on. I checked the connections to the battery and stuff its all good the battery is good as well just bought a yellow top for it.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Check the wires on the ignition key cylinder. Steering wheel will need to be removed.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

the security light should go off after five or so seconds, it sounds like the trasnponder that is in the ignition key is not working, I think you can not test the ohms it gives off, if I rember right. You need access to an ohm meter if that is the case, I have heard of this before, I don't know why it happens. That would be the only thing I can think of that would cause what you are describing, unless the VATS is the reason, but the key should turn with ease. Good luck
Old 06-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Well ever since the one time i forced it the key does turn easy but theres still nothin so if it was the key i would just have to replace the key? And where can i find out which resistor is in my key is there a chart or somethin.

Quick Reply: Help me!