LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

200 miles later......

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 200 miles later......

Well my Passengers side head gasket swap went well. The car fired right up afterwards, and in the past week I have driven it probably around 200 miles without a problem. The temp never got above 185 or so, until today. I pulled into my driveway after work, and noticed that the temp gauge was creeping up towards the halfway mark. So i wait a few hours, let the car cool down and then start it up again. Upon startup i notice a little bit of white smoke from the tailpipes, and im assuming that this is coolant since it never smoked before. The temp gauge never got above the halfway mark (and i only let it be there for a few seconds), so the car never overheated.

Now, I'm hoping i just need to retourqe the heads and i'll be okay. The car was never overheated and i didn't have a problem for 200 miles. Any thoughts/suggestions? Should i back all of the bolts off and then retorque them again? I have felpro bolts
Old 06-21-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you torqued them down the correct way the first time, you shouldn't have to re-do them at all. Hell, you didn't even really need to buy new head bolts either.

And why the heck didn't you do the driver side while you had everything off???? Seems silly to me :\
Old 06-21-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Formula350
Hell, you didn't even really need to buy new head bolts either.
Never reuse the factory head bolts.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Now, I'm hoping i just need to retourqe the heads and i'll be okay. The car was never overheated and i didn't have a problem for 200 miles. Any thoughts/suggestions? Should i back all of the bolts off and then retorque them again? I have felpro bolts
Did you use a good sealant on the head bolts?
Old 06-21-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your oil...
Old 06-21-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should've went with ARP head bolts
Old 06-21-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Never reuse the factory head bolts.
There's no harm in reusing SBC head bolts. Buddy has done it countless times with zero problems ever. I just did a top end refresh on a 350 and reused the bolts as well and hasn't shown any problems. Now Imports and other smaller engines, they for some reason stretch more and DO blow gaskets if you don't replace them.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

always heat cycle and retorque. also do what the other guys say and check the oil for coolant.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

There's no harm in reusing SBC head bolts. Buddy has done it countless times with zero problems ever. I just did a top end refresh on a 350 and reused the bolts as well and hasn't shown any problems. Now Imports and other smaller engines, they for some reason stretch more and DO blow gaskets if you don't replace them.

Never reuse torque-to-yield head bolts. They are designed to be used only once and are not meant to be re-torqued. Trust me, head bolts are cheap. For the record, I learned this lesson the hard way. I actually broke a bolt off in the block!
Old 06-21-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Never reuse torque-to-yield head bolts. They are designed to be used only once and are not meant to be re-torqued. Trust me, head bolts are cheap. For the record, I learned this lesson the hard way. I actually broke a bolt off in the block!
Then I guess we're just 100% lucky by reusing them on countless motors and not having a single problem. Which is pretty much statistically impossible. I guess we beat the universe
Old 06-21-2008, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Then I guess we're just 100% lucky by reusing them on countless motors and not having a single problem. Which is pretty much statistically impossible. I guess we beat the universe
Nothing is statistically impossible, but some things are improbable (sometimes infinitely so).

You're lucky to have gotten away with it.
Given that a set of ARP head bolts costs all of $20, it's cheap insurance.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, $20 is too much when you're making a motor that all you're going to do is beat the living hell out of LOL Heck, the one motor we used was a seized 305 from a Blazer, some marvels mystery oil (trans fluid works well also) in the cylinders for a few days, and turned right over. We even said screw it with honing it Stuck in a 327 cam and away we went. That was our most redneck motor, but held strong and went like a raped date.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Well, $20 is too much when you're making a motor that all you're going to do is beat the living hell out of LOL Heck, the one motor we used was a seized 305 from a Blazer, some marvels mystery oil (trans fluid works well also) in the cylinders for a few days, and turned right over. We even said screw it with honing it Stuck in a 327 cam and away we went. That was our most redneck motor, but held strong and went like a raped date.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were such an engine building guru when I posted.....LOL! FWIW, the older motors did not have TTY bolts, so they were OK to reuse.

Daren
Old 06-21-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were such an engine building guru when I posted.....LOL! FWIW, the older motors did not have TTY bolts, so they were OK to reuse.

Daren
Well, none of these are newer than GENII (none have yet to be newer than GENI actually). I assumed by TTY, you meant that them having a torque spec equaled TTY. I guru I am not heh Been around quite a few builds, I have. Fully fresh builds though, one heh
Old 06-21-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Well, none of these are newer than GENII (none have yet to be newer than GENI actually). I assumed by TTY, you meant that them having a torque spec equaled TTY. I guru I am not heh Been around quite a few builds, I have. Fully fresh builds though, one heh
It's all cool.

TTY is short for torque to yield.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's all cool.

TTY is short for torque to yield.
I'm a smurt kookie remember?

I gathered that from this bit

Never reuse torque-to-yield head bolts.

EDIT: From my quick reading, a GENII motor won't be utilizing TTY bolts, simply because it utilizes the GEN0-I head bolt count. Not that it couldn't use them, but I would assume that if GM was going to, they'd have redesigned the motor more than they did, much like the GENIII.

Last edited by Formula350; 06-21-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

my dad is no engine guru, but he says this is normal. He says you should have to retorque after a few heat cycles. I retorqued everything last night, and quite a few of the bolts were significantly under the specified torque. I am going to start it up today after work.

My oil is fine, a nice golden brown. My coolant is fine as well.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

OK, I have done some digging. I checked the head bolts on my cores and found two different head bolt types. I have one 1994 core. It's head bolts appear to be the same as the old Gen I motors. All of the 1995-up motors that I have use the later (softer) head bolts. Again, if you have the head bolts with silver bottom bolts (1/2" heads), I would not reuse them. They are junk after one use.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have seen the same thing GIZMO has two different bolt PNs were used.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Have any pics Gizmo or Caprice? Older style are 5/8 head aren't they?

Quick Reply: 200 miles later......