LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My LT1 is Jealous...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My LT1 is Jealous...

So I bought a 2006 BMW 330I for my daily driver and I hate to say it but its almost turned into my new hobby...I bought it as a nice car that I can go out on a date in, run errands, take my ex wifes lil girl around in, daily drive and the whole nine yards...I am 23 and figured it was time for a real car that wasnt dedicated to being a muscle car like my z is (I have worked for all my cars and worked like hell to buy the Bimmer so no hits about being a rich kid or anything like that, Im far from it..I work as a police officer for a municipality)...its definitely not a daily driver anymore since I stalled it, rebuilt it, and cammed it...no AC or anything, no power seats, Its loud and smell like gas and oil and tires lol

But my issue here is that I am getting into the BMW's so much that I feel like I am neglecting my Fbodies...this is my 5th fbody ( 3 v6's and 2 v8's)I have owned and thats all I have ever drove...but since I bought the Bimmer I have thought about selling the Z for a down payment on a 335 (twin turbo) but just cant bring myself to do it...the BMW is so refined and such fun to drive....the interior is wonderful...no rattles or creaks, HID lights that turn with the wheels, leather, wood, Bluetooth, etc.. the brakes are a ton better than any fbody I ever been in..my rear rotors are bigger in my BMW than my fronts are in my camaro...it holds the road like it is on rails and is nothing like my sloppy camaro....although there is nothing like that cammed 355 through my GMMG.....just wondering if anyone else has felt like there LT1 was jealous....

I even had an offer on a trade for an M6 Ls1 and entertained it???
Old 09-02-2008, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

Cant say I blame you, I drove one of those 335i's when I was out shopping for a car a few weeks ago. Pretty nice car, would make a pretty good sleeper. Handled beautifully, and it was comfertable for me to drive (I'm 6'6). I cant hate on you for your doubts.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I work on porsches and ferraris everyday, and yes its a big change going from my trans am to one of those. The fit, finish, and refinement is just ten times what our f-bodies will ever be. With that being said, when it was time to build my trans am ( link in sig) i knew what i wanted it to be. Sure it smells like gas and tires, sure it has a loud exhaust and the suspension is pretty rough. But i made my trans am handle, brake, drive and ride like a brand new car, for far less then what a new bmw costs, and is one of a kind, has comfy recaros, hid headlights, and if it doesnt impress a girl i take on a date, shes not worth it.

I love bmws, porsches, mercedes, who wouldnt want one as a daily driver, but your comparing apples to oranges
Old 09-02-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you need to get going on your suspension, BMWs handle real good but a properly tuned Fbody road racing suspension id take anyday over a BMW.

The corners my car can cut with full suspension has made more than one BMW owner jealous
Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You really have to take each car for what they are, that BMW is also 11 years newer than your Z28, so take that in to consideration. Nothing wrong with liking the BMW more, it's a nicer car.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back when I had both working at the same time it was always a hard choice between my Audi and my TA (the A4 puts down more whp btw). The choice for me always the more refined feel of the german or the brute force of the TA......and until i blew the tranny up for the 3rd time the TA won over the faster car 75% of the time. Now that gas is off the charts and the TA is a failed project im just parting that out and going german........for now
Old 09-02-2008, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by glocklimited9
I work on porsches and ferraris everyday, and yes its a big change going from my trans am to one of those. The fit, finish, and refinement is just ten times what our f-bodies will ever be. With that being said, when it was time to build my trans am ( link in sig) i knew what i wanted it to be. Sure it smells like gas and tires, sure it has a loud exhaust and the suspension is pretty rough. But i made my trans am handle, brake, drive and ride like a brand new car, for far less then what a new bmw costs, and is one of a kind, has comfy recaros, hid headlights, and if it doesnt impress a girl i take on a date, shes not worth it.

I love bmws, porsches, mercedes, who wouldnt want one as a daily driver, but your comparing apples to oranges

very well said.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

My LT1 is probalby jealous cause I love driving my '02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. I too bought the Audi as a daily driver and its just sooooooo much fun on back roads with the AWD and in the snow its so much fun to goin parking lots and do AWD donuts lol
Old 09-02-2008, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

A sports car is a car that everyone notices coming down the street(Z28,TA,Formula,etc....)
A BMW looks like every other car on the street untill you get close.
Keep the Bimmer for daily driver since it is a much better DD, and pull out the Z when you want to feel bad *** and be noticed.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

i used to be a german only car guy before i got my TA, i had a 97' GTI VR6 5 speed that was absolutely awesome for a daily driver. it had a good amount of torque for highway cruising and got much better mileage than my TA for sure, but it just doesnt have the seat of your pants thrill that the TA does when you put your right foot to the floor.

the difference i think is first age (as in how old the cars are) cause i bet (only guessing bet) that a new GTO or 02 SS or something handles very nicely and is much closer to that of the BMW's ride quality and comfort, but you just cant compare an 1x year old muslce car to a brand new sport luxury bimmer.

and for a daily driver i wouldnt mind one of those little Saturn Sky Redlines i love how those look! especially cause with just a down pipe and a tune they can be over 300hp, which in a sub 3k car would be pretty fun!
Old 09-02-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AChotrod
A sports car is a car that everyone notices coming down the street(Z28,TA,Formula,etc....)
Keep the Bimmer for daily driver since it is a much better DD, and pull out the Z when you want to feel bad *** and be noticed.
I think this quote sums it up the best
Old 09-02-2008, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AChotrod
the thing i still loved about my TA over my audi is the fact that the car was 6 years older and got more looks and comments then the kraut could ever dream of
Old 09-02-2008, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Definitly!!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coders11
the thing i still loved about my TA over my audi is the fact that the car was 6 years older and got more looks and comments then the kraut could ever dream of
Hahaha, YES!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 3pnt4maro
So I bought a 2006 BMW 330I for my daily driver and I hate to say it but its almost turned into my new hobby...I bought it as a nice car that I can go out on a date in, run errands, take my ex wifes lil girl around in, daily drive and the whole nine yards...I am 23 and figured it was time for a real car that wasnt dedicated to being a muscle car like my z is (I have worked for all my cars and worked like hell to buy the Bimmer so no hits about being a rich kid or anything like that, Im far from it..I work as a police officer for a municipality)...its definitely not a daily driver anymore since I stalled it, rebuilt it, and cammed it...no AC or anything, no power seats, Its loud and smell like gas and oil and tires lol

But my issue here is that I am getting into the BMW's so much that I feel like I am neglecting my Fbodies...this is my 5th fbody ( 3 v6's and 2 v8's)I have owned and thats all I have ever drove...but since I bought the Bimmer I have thought about selling the Z for a down payment on a 335 (twin turbo) but just cant bring myself to do it...the BMW is so refined and such fun to drive....the interior is wonderful...no rattles or creaks, HID lights that turn with the wheels, leather, wood, Bluetooth, etc.. the brakes are a ton better than any fbody I ever been in..my rear rotors are bigger in my BMW than my fronts are in my camaro...it holds the road like it is on rails and is nothing like my sloppy camaro....although there is nothing like that cammed 355 through my GMMG.....just wondering if anyone else has felt like there LT1 was jealous....

I even had an offer on a trade for an M6 Ls1 and entertained it???

Take it from me and please keep the Z. I picked up my 335i at the end of april. And its a great car don't get me wrong but it def no barn burner. It put down 281rwhp 290rwtq and ran 8.9's on the 18" RFT's. So basically it is a almost 50grand lt1. Mods are easy on it but will def take away from warranty if you get crazy with them. Use to work for BMW as a service advisor. It sucks when I'm driving and have to look for stock mustangs and other imports to play with.

Oh yeah and I dont know about where you are but every one and their mom has a new 3 series around here. And really the only way to tell its a 335 is from the back b/c of the tail pipes. In the z no one has to ask what it is being as it has fatties and skinnies and you can hear it coming.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by IrocZ
In the z no one has to ask what it is being as it has fatties and skinnies and you can hear it coming.
And thats the way it should be, no weedwackers here.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet if you took 1/2 the money you put into that Beemer (Bimmer just sounds so uppity heh), which by that I mean the cost of the car and all the mods you've done, and stuck that into the Z, you'd have a much nicer car that your BMW. It would handle like a dream, look like a super model, be as comfortable as a Laz-E Boy and make you feel like you were god! It doesn't take much coin to make an F-Body handle great, w/ the 49:51 weight ratio we have factory. There are many gadgets you can throw at a car as well to make it as user friendly as the luxury cars as well. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to take a 4.5-5" screen deck and outfit it with a bluetooth dongle, and don't say that screen won't fit, because I've seen people do it on this forum! As for sound, I absolutely LOVE how my FACTORY 10 speaker setup sounds, and that's with a non-monsoon amp. Mind you, I have an aftermarket deck (nothing fancy, just a Pioneer MP3 deck, but Pioneers have a hidden audio tweaking section to fine tune the sound frequencies) and changed the rear mids to some 2-ways I had laying around, that's besides the point.

With the other half, you could've gotten a nice late-90s Volvo or Saab to be a DD. Hell those turbo Volvo's are damn quick for the bricks they are! (turbobricks.com is a cool site for them)

And do I even have to mention the fact you'd not have that amazing 8 piston symphony anymore?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula350
And do I even have to mention the fact you'd not have that amazing 8 piston symphony anymore?
I tell people about the 8 piston symphony all the time, they think I am crazy...

Thats ok though, whos laughing at 6k RPM when they **** their pants
Old 09-02-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
I tell people about the 8 piston symphony all the time, they think I am crazy...

Thats ok though, whos laughing at 6k RPM when they **** their pants
They think you're crazy, and yet they STILL ride with you... Who's that leave crazy in the end?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

My T/A hasn't been jealous of not being driven until last year. I bought an import. It launches better at the track, and handles better on the road, BUT, it surely can't compare to the brute torque of the LT.

Quick Reply: My LT1 is Jealous...