LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how much will it cost to have bent valve replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much will it cost to have bent valve replaced?

im defineatly not a mechanic so the option of me replacing my bent valve isnt an option.......how much will it cost for me to take it somewhere to have it replaced? (estimates)
Old 09-25-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

atleast a $1,200 would be my guess. the head has to come off to get a new valve in. mine as well throw a new head gasket on there also. then making sure the head is perfectly flat and stuff. labor is most of the cost. the parts are fairly cheap. it adds up fast though.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:49 PM

o....wow.....i just put 1400 in the tranny...............
Old 09-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Ask around and find someone who is familiar with LT1's and does side jobs on the weekend. Probably get it done for $600 in labor + parts.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:41 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you spend that much money to replace a valve you're retarded. Where are you located? If you're in my area I'll help you do it or you can bring it to my friends shop (a sponsor on here) and he'll do it way cheaper than you'll find any where else. It really isn't that hard to pull the heads on these it just takes some time. Is this your only car? The best thing you could do is make a thread in your local area section asking for help. See what people offer to do to help you and go from there. There's so many options out there.

EDIT: I searched your name trying to find where you are located. Please tell me the $1400 you mentioned you spent on your transmission wasn't the trans mount!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just pull everything off and send the head out to LE or AI and get some real heads
Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Depending on how bad it's bent it could require quite a bit of work to repair the head.
It's a great excuse to upgrade to a ported head if you wanted to.
Otherwise, if the damage is severe enough, you could probably pick up a used head
(complete with valves, springs, etc ... ) for under $75 and sell the old one as scrap metal.

A shop will charge you 15-20hours at the shop rate to do the work. That's easily $900-1300.
In fact, it's the reason the previous owner sold me my beater (93 tbird) for $500.
He just didn't want to shell out the cash to fix it. (worked out well for me, I had it fixed in no time)

If you can get it off on your own, you can save quite a bit of money on labor.
It's really not as hard as it looks. Just pick up a gasket set, head bolts, oil, filter and coolant (optional) and go to town.
Here's a great book to read if you'd like to learn http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Small-...2396430&sr=8-1

You could also try bribing someone local with some cash and beer to do it for you.

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
just pull everything off and send the head out to LE or AI and get some real heads
TIP : If you've never done it before, label everything or put it in baggies with labels.
It's easy to get lots with all of those parts laying around.
Taking pictures is nice too if you have to look back and see where something went.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:26 PM

yes it is my only car and i feel like a complete piece of **** because my dad is the one who has to pay for all of this 1400 for trans rebuild and now this......im just trying to find the cheapest way to get it done for him...im only 17 and working at burger king....right now im just paying for gas and giving him the rest
Old 09-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I believe the estimates to be a tad overboard to replace valves. It depends on if the guides need to be replaced. Even if they do it should total less than a thousand dollars.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

burger king sounds good...but all you can really do is talk to a a couple mechanics and see what they say. if its going to be 1200 like an earlier quote, i agree that you might as well get some ported heads to throw on there
Old 09-26-2008, 11:04 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously, the best thing to do is make a thread in your local area forum asking for someone to help. I'm positive someone would be willing to help for food and beer. In realitly it shouldn't cost you more than $400 including all of the gaskets, fluids, fixing the heads, food, and beer.

You could also get rid of a lot of random crap on the car too to clean it up and make it easier to work on in the future. Get rid of the air pump, EGR, EVAP, relocate the fuel lines, and clean everything off. It will look 900 times better and give you more room to work with.

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Depending on how bad it's bent it could require quite a bit of work to repair the head.
It's a great excuse to upgrade to a ported head if you wanted to.
Otherwise, if the damage is severe enough, you could probably pick up a used head
(complete with valves, springs, etc ... ) for under $75 and sell the old one as scrap metal.
That's a really good plan too. You could also buy two heads and try to learn to port on the other ones. That way if you do well and want to pick up some power down the road you could swap the ported ones back on and sell the ones you originally bought to fix the bent valve.

If you can get it off on your own, you can save quite a bit of money on labor.
It's really not as hard as it looks. Just pick up a gasket set, head bolts, oil, filter and coolant (optional) and go to town.
Here's a great book to read if you'd like to learn http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Small-...2396430&sr=8-1

You could also try bribing someone local with some cash and beer to do it for you.
It really isn't that hard. You just need some sockets and a metric wrench set. All of the head and rocker bolts are 5/8ths. The intake can be annoying, but it really isn't that bad at all.

I'm going to have to get that book.

TIP : If you've never done it before, label everything or put it in baggies with labels.
It's easy to get lots with all of those parts laying around.
Taking pictures is nice too if you have to look back and see where something went.
Excellent tip and I'll reiterate that. I was having a pain in the *** remembering what all of the random fasteners went where when I went through my car. Plastic bags are the way to go!

Quick Reply: how much will it cost to have bent valve replaced?