Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Royal Purple Syncromax in T56?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Royal Purple Syncromax in T56?

I have always used just regular Dexron III NON Synthetic AFT fluid in my T56 because I have always read that's what was best. Not to use a synthetic fluid in our trannys because of the syncros working on friction and since synthetic is a friction modifier they are incompatible.

But I been noticing that pep boys and autozone are now carrying royal purple products and I see they now carry a product called "Royal Purple Syncromax". I check on royal purples website and if you click on their "Which oil is right for you" link is shows
GM Camaro Tremec T-56 (DEXRON III) ---> Synchromax.

So I am wondering is this stuff any good? Anyone have any details on it or recommend it? Here is the link to the actual product...

Royal Purple Syncromax
Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Banned

I personally like and recommend it to customers if they either ask which synthetic fluid to use or for customers I feel would benefit from it . 90% of the time straight non synthetic ATF works just fine but there are cases where a synthetic fluid like RP Max really shows its advantages . I like it for customers that road race or where excessive heat build up is an issue .
Old 02-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

I see.. Well I would be needing something for strictly drag racing.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Banned

The Synergen fluid works pretty well for situations that shock the unit like in drag racing .
Old 02-26-2009, 07:46 PM
9 Second Club

What is Synergen? Who makes it? Where can you buy it? Thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you re-engineer the oil in your trans( its lifeblood) make sure your trans has the carbon blocker material and not the paper lining. Synthetics have been known to attack & disolve the paper bond.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a long time Amber at Six Speeds Inc (T56 build company that recently went out of business) was stating on here that tests showed that certain components of Royal Purple transmission fluids broke down the blocker ring material very quickly and she strongly advised against its use. If they hadn't just gone out of business, most people would probably be pointing you to those posts, but who knows how accurate that information is at this point as I was never given a source of the testing.

That said, it still makes me hesitant to put Royal Purple in my $2,500 transmission not knowing if this info is accurate, so I run normal Dex III.

THAT said, my brother with the same car has been running Royal Purple in his T56 that he rebuilt for a couple years now with no problems (his car is the best shifting T56 I've ever driven). I'm thinking of copying him and going to the Royal Purple since I am currently rebuilding my trans after the second gear strut snapped on me.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Banned

SSI and probably most shops that are not specifically transmission shops on here and other sites = parts changers not real transmission experts .........

IMHO , If you want to talk to people in the "know" , you need to look to places like Liberty Gear , D&D , Rockland Gear , ProMotion , Astro Performance or dare I say myself .

Last edited by thesource; 02-27-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i've been running syncomax in my tranny for over 3 years. no problems.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource
SSI and probably most shops that are not specifically transmission shops on here and other sites = parts changers not real transmission experts .........

IMHO , If you want to talk to people in the "know" , you need to look to places like Liberty Gear , D&D , Rockland Gear , ProMotion , Astro Performance or dare I say myself .
That's what I was saying about not knowing the source of the testing. All of the guys you mention would be the best places to go to get your question answered and the places I'll be calling when I put my trans back in the car. And I'll probably be grabbing the new parts from D&D because I've had great luck with them.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple Syncromax in T56?