Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Clutch Level 6- why not

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monster Clutch Level 6- why not

I am gonna buy a clutch today- centerforce dual friction slips under any accel - Tick master - new slave . 9 inch on order and a built t56

The question is - if you have a car that makes over 5-600 why not buy the level 6 clutch from monster ( if you were going to buy from them ) Its still a single disc, their claims are that its Daily driveable- Its the same price as the 4-5.

With the Tick master I dont really think I'll have pedal issues that I care about - and I want to have head room to beat on the clutch a little with 5-600 hp. Maybe going upwards of that later-

Anyone have one or Monster care to chime in? Sooner I get this outta the way the sooner I buy =)

Old 03-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Launching!

The stage 3 & 4 are the same price, the stage 5 & 6 are the same price. Im guessing the differences in stages(other than power rating) would be how fast the pucks wear, and amount of chatter(increaseing as you go up). If your making 600rwhp that would be between 700-730 hp at the fly(depending on A4 or M6), which im guessing is how the clutches are rated. If I were you id save myself $200 and go with either the stage 3 or stage 4. I just purchased a Stage 3 premium chromoly package on the 27th. I plan on making over 500rwhp on spray.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

by how fast it wears, I would assume that the higher stage would wear slower, be heavier pedal and chatter more.

but I dont wanna guess, id like some user input-

Im temped to buy a stage 6 so I can put up a review for one.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Launching!

The higher stage would probably wear faster but could handle more power. But id say the rest is right.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95Lwind05
The higher stage would probably wear faster but could handle more power. But id say the rest is right.
They would wear slower, and chatter more and be more aggressive. They're cintered iron as opposed to a organic/graphite (regardless softer) compound.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

Isnt the Stage 5 also Iron? I guess Id like a more technical break out of the different clutches other than " how much power " they are rated at.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95Lwind05
I'd agree but don't know as a fact.A single disk built to hold that kind of power isn't built to last a long time.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:29 PM
FormerVendor

I have the Level VI

Puck, sintered iron.

Would not really consider it a DD type of clutch. The Level VI actually uses the Level IV disc ( I think) and the Level V PP (again, I think) PM SNLPerformance or call Monster to find out for sure.

I bought it cuz I am not driving my car daily, and is gonna make 900+ FWHP.

Also, I believe thier clutch ratings are rated AT THE TIRES.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We rate our stuff at the back tires.

Our four and six really aren't designed for "street car" use because of the sintered iron materials. The material doesn't wear hardly at all, it's the pressure plates and the flywheels that wear on these units.

While they will hold their power and they drive great on the street it's just not recommended as you will get around 10k miles out of it (based on an average, it depends on how you drive it). These, along with all our pucked clutches, will not chatter after the break in (and before in most cases). These materials are designed to be as "friendly" as possible and still hold the power.

I will tell you that we are in the process of coming out with a Level 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, and a 6.5 clutch set. All of these will utilize a full faced cerametallic/sintered iron disc and we will guarantee NO CHATTER! This is mainly for the consumer that is nervous about a pucked clutch and still wants one of our units that will hold the power!

Also, look for a "12 month / no questions asked warranty" option to appear on our website soon, this is an industry first!

Also, according to our engineers we will be releasing our twin and triple units within 30 days, so, look for that as well!!!

Many new things going on, we'll keep you guys posted as these items progress!

Steve Addison
SNL Performance/Monster Clutch Co.
817-750-2000
Old 03-04-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

That post was awesome - totally hit on all the questions I have - but raised a new one.

you guess at maybe 10K on the iron, any guesses ( not that I wanna hold you to them ) on the millage for the other clutches?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

can you slip the puck style off the line? us corvette guys need a little slip to save the drive train.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

After talking with Steve, I will not put anything in my car but a Monster...Im also a bit excited about their new full faced clutches coming out

And algws6...just wait a little bit...we should have some exciting news for us vette guys
Old 03-04-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

So I wouldnt want a sintered pad if I drive it the better part of the week?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Not from what Ive read...but then again if your making big power you will never have a stock driving clutch

Last edited by golfinz; 03-04-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

I was looking at a Lv.4 with the chromoly flywheel. Hows that? Its a heads and cam car.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:02 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NBM-LS1
I was looking at a Lv.4 with the chromoly flywheel. Hows that? Its a heads and cam car.

Unless you have a serious set of heads and cam (and you may) the Level IV might be a bit overkill (which is NOT a bad thing). But, like he said above, the Level IV and VI are not really set up for a DD either
Old 03-05-2009, 08:10 AM
FormerVendor

[QUOTE=golfinz;11178879]After talking with Steve, I will not put anything in my car but a Monster

QUOTE]

Amen. I tell you what, the longer Monster is around, and in the years to come, IF, and again, IF Monster can keep up what they are doing (GREAT customer service, 12 month warranty, excellent product, excellent price), then this will be THE clutch company in teh years to come.
Think about it:
Who else offers this type of warranty (for a clutch) at this price? No one.
While there are some companies that offer great customer service, they can't combine (atleast not right now) all of the above. Monster has set the standard for all to follow. Period.
So, unless Monster falls flat on their face (which I have no doubt they WON'T) I would never look at another clutch. No need.

Disclaimer: This is NOT a paid advertisment from Monster
Old 03-05-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

you might as well be paid advertisement- Or maybe worse- you havent even installed your clutch and ur in almost everythread
Old 03-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance

Our four and six really aren't designed for "street car" use because of the sintered iron materials. The material doesn't wear hardly at all, it's the pressure plates and the flywheels that wear on these units.

While they will hold their power and they drive great on the street it's just not recommended as you will get around 10k miles out of it (based on an average, it depends on how you drive it). These, along with all our pucked clutches, will not chatter after the break in (and before in most cases). These materials are designed to be as "friendly" as possible and still hold the power.

I will tell you that we are in the process of coming out with a Level 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, and a 6.5 clutch set. All of these will utilize a full faced cerametallic/sintered iron disc and we will guarantee NO CHATTER! This is mainly for the consumer that is nervous about a pucked clutch and still wants one of our units that will hold the power!

Also, look for a "12 month / no questions asked warranty" option to appear on our website soon, this is an industry first!

Also, according to our engineers we will be releasing our twin and triple units within 30 days, so, look for that as well!!!

Many new things going on, we'll keep you guys posted as these items progress!

Steve Addison
817-750-2000

Thanks for the awesome info! Looks like I went waaaay overkill with the stage 3 but I suppose I wont have to worry about it breaking Goodluck with the new line/twin/triple clutches!
Old 03-05-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance

Steve Addison
817-750-2000
so wait wait - Did I just over look the fact there there will be a "pay extra and we'll send u a new one no matter what option " over the first 12 month? Cause I am down for one of thoughs - =) If I dont kill the clutch in 12 months - Driving it normally with its few track passes- u can have that little extra- I havent seen a clutch go 12 months yet- ( on a car with more than 400 hp )

Quick Reply: Monster Clutch Level 6- why not