Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Car shakes and shudders -- new problem help pls

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Car shakes and shudders -- new problem help pls

Tonight when I got in the car I had a new problem. When coming from a stop, the car has begun shuddering and shaking badly from 1200rpms to 1800 in first and 1200- 1500rpms in 2nd. This is also accompanied by a grindiing or rubbing noise that is now present at this same rpm level. The car also has just started making a loud pop noise on low speed left turns from a stop. This is very bothersome as I have no idea what the problem is ,,, clutch, driveshaft, torque arm, rear end etc. I have the stock clutch with 32000 miles. I have the stock torque arm in right now (installing my UMI torque arm and relocation mount next weak along with a poly trans mount)
PS the last time I drove the car before this, I was a bit rough on her --but she didn't seem to mind.
Anybody have any similar problems or have an idea what it could be?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem a while back with my '00 ws6 m6 and the shaking that was felt on take off was my clutches way of telling me it had had enough. Also do you have an ORY pipe? because they will definitely lead to a banging/popping noise on takeoffs and very noticeable on left turns as the motor moves... but the poly mounts should help that. GL man
Old 08-14-2009, 08:15 AM
FormerVendor

Does the shutter occur when your are completely off the clutch pedal? Or, do it happen as you are releasing the clutch pedal? Let me know and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks,
Old 08-14-2009, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

The shudder occurs when the clutch is released completely. I have not had a chance to get under the car yet, but there are no tell tale fluid leaks that I can see. The clutch does not seem to be slipping tested by putting it in a higher gear, low rpm and gunning it. No hesitation just acceleration.

The car has the SLP ypie with high flow cats

Last edited by 01 Bad Mutha F*****; 08-14-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM
FormerVendor

Well, since the shudder is coming with the clutch fully released, and the clutch doesn't show any signs of slippage at high-load then it really doesn't seem to be clutch related. Perhaps you are seeing an issue with a motor or trans mount. Or, you could have an issue with something contacting under the car. I suppose you could put it on a lift and see if there was any clear evidence of rubbing. Or you could put it on a dyno and check the car over as it accelerates through the gears under varied load levels. I wish I could point you at something specific but you know how hard it is to trouble shoot over the internet! Let me know if you notice anything else or if you find something be sure to post it up!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Default Help pls'

I just installed a brand new poly trans mount along with my brand new Umi torque arm relocation and Umi torque arm. I wish I could say that this cured the problem but it hasn't.
Is there any possibility that I possibly have warped the flywheel or maybe fubar'd the tranny. The only other possiblity that I can think of is that I need motor mounts.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:59 PM
FormerVendor

I don't think that a warped flywheel would cause this; at least based on your description of the problem. Remember, when the clutch is engaged it is compressed to the flywheel and thus spins as a single unit. It would be possible for you to feel chatter during engagement if the flywheel was warped but it wouldn't lead to shuddering when the clutch was engaged. Further, if this were an imbalance issue or something similar it would lead to a vibration as RPM increased. It could me a motor-mount I suppose but I don't want you to have to continue to throw parts at it. Can you put the car on a lift and get under it while it's running? Does this shudder happen whether you are in gear or not? Let me know and I will be happy to continue to provide support. Thanks,
Old 08-21-2009, 04:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

01 bad ***** I had an SLP Y-pipe on my T/A at one time and you might want to check and see if that's hitting the floor board cause mines felt the same way although it was in Auto. An it only happened when I was taking off it would do it but once it got maybe 5 or 10 mph it wouldn't do it anymore. But I might image in an stick that it might would do it more.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:51 AM
FormerVendor

Yes,I do not believe it is flywheel or clutch related either, as Spec said...if you have pedal fully released, and that is when you are having teh shudder, then no lfywheel problem (more than likely)

Sounds like you have something rubbing like the exhaust (like wholeshow said) or a bad mount..
Old 08-21-2009, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
01 bad ***** I had an SLP Y-pipe on my T/A at one time and you might want to check and see if that's hitting the floor board cause mines felt the same way although it was in Auto. An it only happened when I was taking off it would do it but once it got maybe 5 or 10 mph it wouldn't do it anymore. But I might image in an stick that it might would do it more.
I don't think that it just is the y-pipe banging the floor board. I have had the headers on the car since May and had grown accustomed to the occasional bang under heavy acceleration from a dead stop. This is more severe. I like the way you think though. One of the first things I did when I had a chance to get under the car was check all of the exhaust mounts front to back. All seemed okay.

GEN414 I checked the motor mounts by opening the hood and applying the throttle (via throttle body) to check for excessive engine movement. The engine really seems to be moving around. I have ordered solid motor mounts in an effort to rectify this problem ---hopefully that is it.

My biggest fear is that this problem is a combination of worn motor mounts and a failing rear end. Has anybody ever heard of these parts failing simultaneously?
the thought of removing the headers to change the motor mounts is making me sick. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ch/gr_barf.gif
Old 09-05-2009, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs down Rear end kaput!!!!!!!!!!

After watching my baby sit the last few weeks, I finally got a chance to get her up on a hoist. I drove 01 BMF to a local do it yourself garage and put her up on the hoist while a friend got underneath the rear end. I put the car in first gear, almost immediately the he saw that one of the clamps that holds the cat Loudmouth exhaust was loose and was making contact with the drive shaft. We shut her down, put her up and moved the clamp. After that we repeated the hoist run.

Voila it appeared that the problem was solved! Took her on a little test run and the noises were almost gone. My friend said that the occasional pop that we were hearing during the test run was only the exhaust hitting the floor of the car and he would help me fix that next week. Fantastic I thought, top down cruising for another month (or two) then put her away.

NOT SO FAST!!!!

I just got back from taking her for a little spin. Pulled onto a straightaway gave her some gas and heard the loudest racket , rpm's shot up but the car didn't move. I coasted to the side of the road, stopped, then tried to pull away. Nothing but noise. I opened the door while still in first gear leaned out and looked under the car and could barely see that the driveshaft and rear u-joint were still spinning but there was no power transfer to the road! fk fk fk. I started to push the car then threw it in first and was able to limp home at about 3 miles an hour.

REST IN PEACE pos 10 bolt.

Quick Reply: Car shakes and shudders -- new problem help pls