Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

whats the best way to change the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best way to change the clutch

whats the best way to change the clutch with out a lift?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Jack and jackstands.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually dropping it off at the shop and paying over $500 in labor alone. Waiting a few days and hoping they know what the f**k they are doing!

Joking aside.....if you plan on doing it yourself, be sure you know what you are getting your self into.

The hardest part of the install is re assembly and stabbing the transmission. It will take a nice transmission jack and a few helpers to guide it in smoothly.

Power tools and a lift will minimize your efforts, but if you had those, you wouldnt be asking for advice!

I would not attempt if you never tackled similar mechanic work before.

It can be done, but I cant put into words what wooohs you will run into when re stabbing the transmission! Try it and then tell me how easy it was! lol
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had no lift and it really wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. No tranny jack either. Three of us beasted it back in there. As long as the clutch is aligned properly, it should slide right in.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
Usually dropping it off at the shop and paying over $500 in labor alone. Waiting a few days and hoping they know what the f**k they are doing!

Joking aside.....if you plan on doing it yourself, be sure you know what you are getting your self into.

The hardest part of the install is re assembly and stabbing the transmission. It will take a nice transmission jack and a few helpers to guide it in smoothly.

Power tools and a lift will minimize your efforts, but if you had those, you wouldnt be asking for advice!

I would not attempt if you never tackled similar mechanic work before.

It can be done, but I cant put into words what wooohs you will run into when re stabbing the transmission! Try it and then tell me how easy it was! lol
i have done clutchs before but only front wheel drive and the last rwd trans i pulled i broke my hand due to a weak trans shell lol and it was a pain in the a** and i was just wondering if there was a easy way of doing this also clutchs aside has any one had a shifting problems its kinda hard to shift into reverse for some reason and today i was driving and all gears started doing it i think it needs a mount and some gear lube hoping not a trans
Old 08-19-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

It could just be that the clutch needs to be bled.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Also did it on jackstands without a trans jack. Used 2 floor jacks to remove it, and one + a large friend to lift it back into place while I started the bolts. Worked ok, not a horrible job. Get a 2' extension though to get at the top bolts.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Launching!

I dropped the trans... 3 x I think, from my former 01 SS. I always re-stabbed the thing alone on my back.

Lay on your back, head towards the engine. Scoot the trans up next to you on your strong side. Roll it up onto your chest and heave-ho. Get it up and in then roll to one side and old the tail up with your hip while you contort your shoulder to get the bolts started on the bell. If you've got a buddy, have him start the trans mount bolts into the body so you can take the weight off your hip. If you're alone, get a few bolts started in the bell and shimmy down to the trans mount and get it on.

You can also do it with your head towards the rear and use your strong arm/shoulder to hold the tail up while you get the bell housing bolts started with your weak arm.

Of course, if you're less than like, 180 and aren't particularly strong, this is not a good option.

Quick Reply: whats the best way to change the clutch