Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Cant get into 1st or Reverse!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant get into 1st or Reverse!

I am lost on what is going on here. I was sure I had found the answer.... but problem still exists.

Here is what is going on. I am unable to shift into 1st or reverse with the car running or off, only with the key in the run position. In fact, I cant even get past 5/6th gear with the car turned off. Once I start in this gear, I am able to start the car up and shift. If I am in reverse, I must shut the car off, turn the key to run, put it in first, and then start the car to be able to drive it forward.

When shifting into all other gears it is a PITA and very difficult. I just dropped the tranny and found that the seals on the inside of the slave were destroyed, very difficult to push up and down. Thought I had the problem solved. Used my lifetime warranty on the slave, replaced it, put everything back together and have the same problem! All the bolts and everything were tight on the pressure plate.

Could my master be going out?

Is my transmission bad?

Could my clutch be the issue?

This all started at the drag strip, went down the track and wasnt able to get into 4th during the pass, didn't grind the gear never got close to getting in it. When I went to shift into other gears I wasn't able to get into those either.

Thinking about a tick master, but if that doesnt solve my problem I will be very upset. I am not financially in a position right now where I can go throwing a lot of money at the car.

Sounds similar to some of the other posts people have been having with the Monster. My Clutch is a Southbend DXD Stage 3, ~5k miles on it. Engagement is near the top of the pedal. Clutch always engaged this high, but never had a problem with getting into gear until a few weeks ago.

Hope some of you can guide me to a resolution.

Car is a 2006 GTO M6, cam, Billet Pro shifter, Harrop Diff, stainless clutch lines...
Old 09-07-2009, 03:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Commissar
I.

Here is what is going on. I am unable to shift into 1st or reverse with the car running or off, only with the key in the run position. In fact, I cant even get past 5/6th gear with the car turned off.

Is my transmission bad?

Well, NORMALLY if you can not get a car into gear with teh car OFF, like you are saying, it is NORMALLY trans related.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

So NORMALLY, what could be wrong with the trans?

Also, what would cause the car to lock me out of 6th gear. What happens electronically to the trans when the car is put into "Run" that seems to be when everything changes.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

I had similar problems before, was a total pain to get in and out of gear, a going into reverse was a no-go.

Took the tranny out and the Throw out bearing was toast
Old 09-07-2009, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lwclsswhitetrash
I had similar problems before, was a total pain to get in and out of gear, a going into reverse was a no-go.

Took the tranny out and the Throw out bearing was toast
Are you talking about the throw out bearing on the slave? If so I just replaced the slave and it came with a new bearing. The bearing was toast on the old one.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:23 AM
FormerVendor

So NORMALLY, what could be wrong with the trans?

Also, what would cause the car to lock me out of 6th gear. What happens electronically to the trans when the car is put into "Run" that seems to be when everything changes.

Well, could be shift rail or forks or fork pads or teh sliders them selves.

What is odd, is that it is basically doing it in all gears, from what you are telling me, and very odd for everything to go out at once, so what I would start with is:

Take a look at teh shifter itself. Aftermarket? Shift stops? If so, adjust them out, see if improves.
If not, pop teh shifter off, and look at teh "cup". It is made out of plastic, and is known to crack/deform, and can cause a difficulty in shifting.

Those are teh easiest things to look at and start with.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, just had the shifter off when the tranny was out. Everything looked good under the shifter. Also it is stiff going into all gears, but 1st and reverse are much much worse than any other gear. With the car off I can row through gears 2-6 without any issues. When moving they are definately not like butter, but a lot smoother than 2-6. I will look at the shifter and try adjusting the stops. When I had it out the back plate (2-6) was loose, so I tightened it back up. Didn't bother to look at the front plate. Maybe I will swap in the shitty stock shifter and see if it helps any... God I hate that shifter!

Could there be a selenoid that is causing me problems, maybe the skip shift one? I had a resistor in it for a long time to disable it, over the winter I had it tuned out and plugged it back in just to keep the connectors clean. Just trying to figure out why when it is in RUN it is able to get into 1st and revers...

I guess one more thing, if I do not press the shifter into reverse as I am starting the car it will pop out of gear.

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, could be shift rail or forks or fork pads or teh sliders them selves.

What is odd, is that it is basically doing it in all gears, from what you are telling me, and very odd for everything to go out at once, so what I would start with is:

Take a look at teh shifter itself. Aftermarket? Shift stops? If so, adjust them out, see if improves.
If not, pop teh shifter off, and look at teh "cup". It is made out of plastic, and is known to crack/deform, and can cause a difficulty in shifting.

Those are teh easiest things to look at and start with.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Are you by chance showing any new SESs? i know the ENG SEN fuse will cause 1st and REV issues if its blown,, but usually a MAF code and some other code will show up....
Old 09-08-2009, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

No codes... Think I am going to drop the transmission again soon. Damn it is football season already, which takes priority over dropping the trans. Just talked to Southbend, he said it may be that the pressure plate has self adjusted all the way and is causing some issues. But more than likely he said it was my transmission. When it comes out again I will need to try and shift the gears with it out of the car. Think I am going to have this removing transmission down to a science before too long.

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
Are you by chance showing any new SESs? i know the ENG SEN fuse will cause 1st and REV issues if its blown,, but usually a MAF code and some other code will show up....
Old 09-08-2009, 01:38 PM
FormerVendor

Well, before I started to yank teh tranny, I would do as you said...try a different shifter first. Simple enough, should only take 15 or so minutes to do it.

Only reason I do not think it is tranny, is because of ALL the gears. You just don't really see that, UNLESS, you were having problems with say, X and Y gears, then you kept driving for 6 months, and then A and B gears started messing up type of thing.
AND the fact that the tranny goes into all teh gears when motor is off smoothly. Sure, you can still have something wrrong with the tranny, and still shift OK when off, but when you add in the other things, just makes me think otherwsie. Hmmmmmmmm...
Old 09-08-2009, 01:42 PM
FormerVendor

IHere is what is going on. I am unable to shift into 1st or reverse with the car running or off, only with the key in the run position. In fact, I cant even get past 5/6th gear with the car turned off. Once I start in this gear, I am able to start the car up and shift. If I am in reverse, I must shut the car off, turn the key to run, put it in first, and then start the car to be able to drive it forward.

When shifting into all other gears it is a PITA and very difficult. I just dropped the tranny and found that the seals on the inside of the slave were destroyed, very difficult to push up and down. Thought I had the problem solved. Used my lifetime warranty on the slave, replaced it, put everything back together and have the same problem! All the bolts and everything were tight on the pressure plate.

Could my master be going out?

Sounds similar to some of the other posts people have been having with the Monster. My Clutch is a Southbend DXD Stage 3, ~5k miles on it. Engagement is near the top of the pedal. Clutch always engaged this high, but never had a problem with getting into gear until a few weeks ago.

You know what, after reading this again, I bet your MC is bad. I thought I read that you had replaced it. I can almost say that your MC is bad, AND/OR you have air in the system and needs to be rebled
Old 09-08-2009, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

I have a buddy of mine sending me his master cylinder. I really do not want to pull the tranny off again. Damn that is a PITA when on a single car garage floor!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

I have a buddy of mine sending me his master cylinder. I really do not want to pull the tranny off again. Damn that is a PITA when on a single car garage floor!

yeah, tell me about it.

Also, that is a good idea (MC) start with your basics and work your way from there. Again, sorry for the confusion..like I said, I thought I had read you replaced the MC already, but once I went back, and read again, saw that you had not. I was like bingo!

Make sure you bleed it REEEEEAAAALLLLLLL good once you get teh MC installed, to eliminate variables. Let us know...

Quick Reply: Cant get into 1st or Reverse!