Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Getting a clutch, what to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting a clutch, what to replace?

Im buying the z06 clutch kit, i just want something better than stock, i have a stock power, and not planning on upgrade. I know i have to replace the slave cylinder, what about bolts?? And this Slave cylinder upgrade--is this the master slave cylinder?? Any help would be great.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

The slave cylinder is in the tranny, it moves the pressure plate in and out. There also is a master cyclinder that is connected to your clutch pedal. I would replace it with either a factory one, 2001-2002, these are the updated years. I went with a tick adjustable master, its pricey but in most of the forums opinion, makes shifting alot better and elimnates the high rpm shifting problems. I also went with New gm bolts for the flywheel and pressure plate, they were like $20 for all of them.

did you get a new flywheel also?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Teching In

I will get the flywheel, i guess it couldnt hurt while im there. I would really hate to leave the car in the shop over a darn bolt. I really dont have that much money to spend to i will stick to the factory parts. So i will get the upgraded master slave cylinder, just want to make sure i would waste $30 if not needed. Would you suggest to do the drill mod? i do drive my car hard, but not often at all, I dont drag it either.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its actually 2 separate things, a slave, in the tranny, then the master, under your clutch pedal.

I would go with a new stock slave, thats what I have. You can go with a new 2001-2002 master and I believe it comes with the line attached and already has the drill mod done.

Someone please chime in to verify this.

Not sure how much you have to spend and if you plan on modding it but you can save alot doing it yourself, if you have some mechanical ability.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

which Z06 clutch are you getting? the LS6 or LS7?
Incase its the LS6, don't, get the LS7.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor

I would also go with a new pilot bearing, and have a new rear main seal on hand just in case yours is leaking.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt@SNLPerformance
I would also go with a new pilot bearing, and have a new rear main seal on hand just in case yours is leaking.
i am replacing my stock clutch with a monster level 3 do i need to replace my slave cylider and pilot bearing car only has 40,xxx K ????just a question cuz i am ordering mine monday 2 days?????thanks.....
Old 01-11-2010, 03:36 PM
FormerVendor

All Monster kits come with a new pilot bearing and I always recommend a new slave, it's cheap insurance.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Monster Premium package is a win win win. I bought the three and was upgraded to the 4. it came with everything that I needed to be more than pleased. No shimming, by far the best damn set of direction on how to put a clutch set up in I have ever seen. Even tho it is not rocket science. I know you are wanting to just upgrade a little bit, buy you a Monster clutch. I had a LS6 clutch before that it was not really that good. Best of luck. If you would like to see my monster bing put in see the below link.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/florida-m...s-build-2.html