Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

P0803 code problem and weird reverse lockout thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P0803 code problem and weird reverse lockout thing

I am convinced these are related, but tell me what you think.

I finished up my T56 swap into my 98 TA, had it tuned, etc. The guy who tuned it did everything he needed to do, along with tuning out my rear O2s, EGR, AIR, etc. He also tuned out my CAGS and all that good stuff.

Well, my car keeps popping a P0803 code. I'll clear it out and 10 minutes later it'll pop right back up. Considering the car doesn't even know it has CAGS, this is quite bizarre to me.

Now, I've had this weird reverse lockout issue since the swap and I'm thinking that is the cause of the code, someone told me it is on the same circuit.

I wired it up using the brake light wire like a lot of people do. It is kind of hard to get into reverse, not like I need two hands to get it in, but I imagine someone like my wife would have to use two hands. It takes a lot of effort to get it in, more than any car I've owned or driven before.

Also, if I'm driving and I go to shift from 3rd to second and I have my foot on the brake, it won't allow me to go to second. I only have like 1-4-5 when my foot is on the brake. Now, I KNOW this can't be normal, right?

And yes, I am 137% positive I have the plug in the right solenoid.

So I'm guessing this reverse lockout solenoid is bad and causing me these issues, am I correct? And where do I buy a new solenoid?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK, so I disconnected one of the wires for the reverse lockout (I just snipped it and put a little junction connector on it) and ran the car for a bit. It was really tough to get it into reverse (obviously, the reverse lockout was activated) but it still threw the code.

I also wired in a 2.2k Ohm resistor between the white wire on the automatic plug and the pink wire on the O2 sensor and it threw the code.

I ran the diagnostics on the car and the left bank O2 is giving different readings than the right bank o2s. I meant to write them down but FedEx freight came and I had to unload a pallet and forgot.

Ideas?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issues like yours but I got everything fixed as soon as I loaded up a file from M6 car. I didn't even connect the CAGs for the 1-4 shift however just to make sure I tuned those out.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Already did that. CAGS has been tuned out as well, which is why this is so bizarre to me.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Weird, if I plug the car up and look at the oxygen sensors using EasyOBDII I'm not seeing any of the Bank 2 oxygen sensors. I see the #1 bank upper sensor, and the constant voltage signaling the lower #1 bank is tuned out, but for the Bank 2 it is not showing anything connected.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Who made the changes in your computer? A certain tuner has made careless mistakes that have caused things like this for me and 2 of my buddies on several different occasions.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm retarded. Apparently I needed to be 138% sure I had it right.

I did it blindly since I'm a big guy and it is tough to move around under the car. I honestly have no idea how I ended up plugging the reverse lockout into the CAGS plug, but I did. I've been fighting this swap for a long time, everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

But now it is FIXED! No code! Woohoo!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

LOL Good job sir
Old 03-09-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

******* code is back. I can drive the car forever, but as soon as I stop and turn the car off, as soon as I start it back - there it is.

I checked and the CAGS has been tuned out. Car runs fantastic, everything is working just like it should. Just can't ditch this damn code.

Coudl it have anything to do with the passenger side O2 sensor? I didn't replace that one when I did the longtubes way back when.

Who knows. Gotta fix this **** soon, DMV took my registration due to lack of inspection. *******.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, it is finally fixed. The P0803 code was not disabled like it should have been. For anyone doing a 6-spd swap and reusing an auto harness, be sure your tuner disables this code or you'll be chasing your tail!

Thanks to Craig at Staples Engineering for taking care of me.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So I'm guessing you didn't even wire up the CAGS harness? Because I learned that the hard way too after my swap. I thought just having it tuned out of the PCM would keep the code from popping up. But if it doesn't see the CAGS solenoid at all, the code will keep coming back.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nah, didn't even bother with that. It was going to be a real pain in the *** to wire up with the automatic harness, so I didn't even bother.

Going to take my car and get it inspected today finally.

Quick Reply: P0803 code problem and weird reverse lockout thing