Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

problem after trans rebuild and clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default problem after trans rebuild and clutch install

trans was refreshed(new syncros, 3/4 shiftfork) but someone local that claims they know what they are doing. Brand new clutch flywheel pp slave. Bled fine, firm pedal.

see post 4 for the problems i'm having

Last edited by Checkmate; 02-09-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Back wheels spinning faster than front wheels, for ABS/TCS that == low traction. Any reason you're "testing" on jackstands???
Old 02-08-2010, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

when i initially started the car with all 4 tires on the ground it started creeping forward
Old 02-08-2010, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

Decided to take it for a ride

Here are the problems:
won't go into 1st unless let out the clutch a little bit
3rd it grinds almost everytime

if i accelerate over 2500rpm I cannot shift the transmission into the next gear, i must come to a stop.

in neutral, clutch out it creeps forward(never did this before the refresh)

Before:
The only issue was unable to shift at high RPM.

any ideas.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Checkmate
when i initially started the car with all 4 tires on the ground it started creeping forward
When this happened, was the trans in neutral?

Also as 85MikeTPI stated, turn the traction off and try it running through the gears on the jack stands.

Let us know if the symptom still persists.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Checkmate
trans was refreshed(new syncros, 3/4 shiftfork) but someone local that claims they know what they are doing. Brand new clutch flywheel pp slave. Bled fine, firm pedal.

Neutral clutch out tires spin, push the clutch in tires stop spinning.
on jackstands, In gear let the clutch out give it a little gas and the engine bogs down and the low traction light comes on.

Not hearing any noises.

Any ideas
The reason it bogs and the low trac light come on it because the traction control system is kicking in. It senses the front wheels are stationary and the rears are spinning, so it cuts power and activates the "low trac" light.

There's the root of your problems, the clutch is dragging. What brand of clutch/flywheel did you install?? Either it needs to be shimmed, or you have a hydraulic issue. Most common is air in the line, even though the pedal feels firm, that doesn't mean its 100% purged of all air.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
The reason it bogs and the low trac light come on it because the traction control system is kicking in. It senses the front wheels are stationary and the rears are spinning, so it cuts power and activates the "low trac" light.

There's the root of your problems, the clutch is dragging. What brand of clutch/flywheel did you install?? Either it needs to be shimmed, or you have a hydraulic issue. Most common is air in the line, even though the pedal feels firm, that doesn't mean its 100% purged of all air.
monster so it doesn't need to be shimmed. I'll rebleed it and see if anything changes.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
FormerVendor

Do you have an adjustable Master? I ask because you mentioned that you can select 1st only by letting the pedal up a bit. If the Master is adjusted to provide the longest throw possible then you may actually be over-extending the clutch assembly (pushing through the pivot and effectively re-engaging the clutch. If your master is adjustable try shortening the throw and let us know what you find.

Another possiblility is the disc orientation. I am sure you will think I am crazy for suggesting it, but I wouldn't if I hadn't seen it before, but are you sure your disc is installed correctly? If it isn't this could most certainly affect the way your clutch actuates.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

clutch disc is correct per monster's instructions

stock master