Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Car idiot needs help (M6)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car idiot needs help (M6)

What kind of maintenance does a M6 require? It has 50,000 on it(just bought it). At times it doesn't want to go in first, but if I let off the clutch and try again it does. Maybe 1 out 5x or so. It also squeaks a bit, but I think that's the clutch? If I try to take a slower turn in 3rd(not already in 3rd, but shift into 3rd coming into a turn), sometimes it doesn't want to go and makes a fucked up sound like the gears aren't catching. Is that the shift skip or something else? Possibly not fully in gear, but I think it was. It's happened 3x, all in third gear and taking a slow turn. Ran great during the test drive, of course. I appreciate the help!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Read your car manual on maintenance service on 50k it could be highway or city. Skip shift/CAGS operates around 12-15 mph and locks you out second gear so you can go into fourth. our cars have hydraulic issues, which cause us to miss gears when shifting and other things. That problem has been solved by Tick Performance Adj Master Cylinder.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Taken4granted
Read your car manual on maintenance service on 50k it could be highway or city. Skip shift/CAGS operates around 12-15 mph and locks you out second gear so you can go into fourth. our cars have hydraulic issues, which cause us to miss gears when shifting and other things. That problem has been solved by Tick Performance Adj Master Cylinder.
Isn't there a device that removes the skip shift?
Old 02-27-2010, 05:00 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with the simple stuff: Bleed the system and also check your shifter stops. Let us know if you do those things and it's still not fixed.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FlyinBryan007
Isn't there a device that removes the skip shift?
yes the skip shift eliminator from SLP and other sponsors on here, but that is not going to help your problem.

Originally Posted by TWS
I would start with the simple stuff: Bleed the system and also check your shifter stops. Let us know if you do those things and it's still not fixed.
if your stock MC continues to give you problems, replace your MC with a Tick one and if you have your trans out (provided if you have a bigger problem)get a speed bleeder from Tick as well, it makes the job easier when bleeding your system. as for your shifter stops they are internal(inside the trans) and not on the shifter like the old days.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TWS
I don't know enough about cars to do that to be honest. I wouldn't know how to bleed the system and refill it confidently. I don't even what you mean by check my shifter stops. Just being honest, but I appreciate the direction. I've actually looked into a year's training/college, but it was $24,000. This is my first used car so I've never had to do anything but the basics.

Originally Posted by Taken4granted
yes the skip shift eliminator from SLP and other sponsors on here, but that is not going to help your problem.

if your stock MC continues to give you problems, replace your MC with a Tick one and if you have your trans out (provided if you have a bigger problem)get a speed bleeder from Tick as well, it makes the job easier when bleeding your system. as for your shifter stops they are internal(inside the trans) and not on the shifter like the old days.
Certainly over my head at this point, I am ashamed to admit. By MC you mean manual clutch?
Old 02-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Teching In

By MC he means the master cylinder...it takes time and patience man...oh yeah and a lot of questions...lol
Old 02-27-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

Most of the questions you have, have been asked and answered a thousand times, you just have to search for them. read other people problems and how they solved it. read up on other things as well, there is a ton of useful info on here.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

I believe it's the shift stop for 1st gear issues and the u-joint making the noise. I don't know what the deal is with 3rd gear though. It's only done it once since posting. Again it happened as I was slowing down coming into a turn and tried to use 3rd gear to drive out of the turn.

Quick Reply: Car idiot needs help (M6)