Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

CTS-V or to not CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation CTS-V or to not CTS-V

Hello EH

Newbie from Canada worked a little overtime and about to venture forth on doing an LS swap in 77 Firechicken.

Want to get more bang for the ( canadian) buck and seems the Caddy CTS-V motor is well priced and apperantly an LS6 type motor. Go big or go home BUT they come with this wierd *** T56 trans that after perusing through this form seems to be a Trans I dont want to deal with.

Sooo my question to all my American friends LS motor and Trans experts is if I buck up for a Caddy LS6 type motor is it a fairly easy swap to bolt on the 98 - 02 fbody T56 trans or or a 04 to whatever GTO T56 WHICH incidently we didnt even have the pleasure of ever seeing in Canada or is it " this bolt wont fit..this flywheel is 1/2 inch 2 small..the paint color is wrong " mess.

Trying to make this as kinda painless as I can. Want the bigger LS motor but want the normal T56.

Anybody....................

Cheers
Old 02-24-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any T56 from an F-body or GTO will fit the motor. Since you are doing a custom installation, you can make it fit the car.

What is different about the T56 in the CTS-V? What year CTS-V are you talking about? The 2009 and newer car comes with a supercharged 6.2L motor. The earlier (Gen I) CTS-V came with a 5.7L LS6 motor. Either way, you can get an LSx motor built to your specifications and mount a T56 to it.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Banned

The CTSV is going to require a lot more work to fit your setup. You are better off with an F body unit or a retro fitted GTO unit.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Teching In

"source"

You mean the Caddy motor is an issue which I dont think it will be or the T56 Caddy trans which i am sure after talking to several folks will be. My qusestion is is there any issues hooking up a T56 out of 98 02 f body to the Caddy or for that matter a Vette LS6 Enine????.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jazzdriver
"source"

You mean the Caddy motor is an issue which I dont think it will be or the T56 Caddy trans which i am sure after talking to several folks will be. My qusestion is is there any issues hooking up a T56 out of 98 02 f body to the Caddy or for that matter a Vette LS6 Enine????.
No, there is no problem putting an F-body T56 onto any LSx motor.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Camwinder.....

The caddy T56 has some space age remote shifter thing on it and the rear bellhousing has this funky 3 hole flange unit for the drive shaft . And after reading another fellows post about swapping out tailshafts........hmmmmm not gonna try that. fairly mechanical kinda guy but Ill be the one to drop the 2 cent washer and and when i put it in first it will probably go backwards.. Rather stick to a simple bolt on
Old 02-24-2010, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

We know what the CTSV T56 looks like..it won't work for what you are wanting to do.

Find you a F-body or GTO T56, you will have better luck with that.

Here is a pic of mine..this is what you will need to make it easy for you..

Old 02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
No, there is no problem putting an F-body T56 onto any LSx motor.
Assuming you read this thread... ;-)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-vs-small.html
Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes, as long as you know the correct parts to use, there is no problem.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Mr "85tpimike...."

Actually I did not read this thread but read the one where you changed the tail shafts...OUCH...big work there. The thread link you gave me on the pilot bushing ..thanx.

So do I read you right that if I buy any LS 1 or better Engyne LS3 ..6.. or whatever I can afford then the crank will offer either bore hole for the correct pilot bearing for a f body T56 and if I an score flywheel ,,clutch ,,et all from an f body T56, that it will bolt up to the motor...ie the flywheel is a bolt on, clutch is standard bolt on etc.

Now we come to the the Never seen in Canada GTO,S I know the oil pan is front sump and I need to change to rear for the 77 firechicken but If I get a LS2 package with a T56 hanging off the back of it...IS THERE ISSUES with this trans or is it kinda the same as F body trans. Shifter will not locate in stock consule regardless of what T56 I use ,I can deal with that . Just curious about drive shaft input... length...trans mount will be needed to be adjusted whatevr I use.

Any wiring harness issues????
Old 02-25-2010, 06:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually I did not read this thread but read the one where you changed the tail shafts...OUCH...big work there. The thread link you gave me on the pilot bushing ..thanx.
Really not that difficult, just need to find the parts and do the work.

So do I read you right that if I buy any LS 1 or better Engyne LS3 ..6.. or whatever I can afford then the crank will offer either bore hole for the correct pilot bearing for a f body T56 and if I an score flywheel ,,clutch ,,et all from an f body T56, that it will bolt up to the motor...ie the flywheel is a bolt on, clutch is standard bolt on etc.
Yes. The factory LS6 flywheel is an exception.

Now we come to the the Never seen in Canada GTO,S I know the oil pan is front sump and I need to change to rear for the 77 firechicken but If I get a LS2 package with a T56 hanging off the back of it...IS THERE ISSUES with this trans or is it kinda the same as F body trans. Shifter will not locate in stock consule regardless of what T56 I use ,I can deal with that . Just curious about drive shaft input... length...trans mount will be needed to be adjusted whatevr I use.

Any wiring harness issues????
You might want to check in the Hybrid/Conversion forum and/or 2ndgen Fbody sites (nastyz28 ?) for more info on the engine swap.

There are mid-shift conversions for the T56 that can move the shifter forward about 10inches.

Quick Reply: CTS-V or to not CTS-V