Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Where did i mess up? t56 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Where did i mess up? t56 rebuild

Got it all together and first thru forth worked great. I went to go to 5th and it didn't go in to gear heard some weird noise and some smoke. Shut the car off. Got it back home took out the trans and removed the rear case. I found the two spacers that go on either side of the bearing and that bearing kind of marred up. Bearing number (77) and the two spacers (76,78). Upon disassembly the thrust washer (74) would not slide off the shaft (shaft is grooved, ordered new one). Everything was assembled per the directions, but i am not sure where i messed up. Any idea's?

EDIT

Alright i think i found two things that may be wrong. I think i switched the caged needle bearings from the countershaft to the mainshaft. The ones in the picture.

I had a plastic washer that is torn up it was about the size of the inside of the R syncro and was thin and black. Not sure where that was but it is all torn up now. But i can not find that washer on the parts breakdown.
Attached Thumbnails Where did i mess up? t56 rebuild-1.jpg   Where did i mess up? t56 rebuild-2.jpg   Where did i mess up? t56 rebuild-3.jpg   Where did i mess up? t56 rebuild-4.jpg   Where did i mess up? t56 rebuild-5.jpg  

Where did i mess up? t56 rebuild-6.jpg   Where did i mess up? t56 rebuild-7.jpg  

Last edited by MUSTANGBRKR02; 03-17-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good thing i didnt come over and let ya do mine lol just messing with ya

lance
Old 03-16-2010, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

ahhah Where have you been? After i get this fixed we can break yours too.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't say without looking at pics. I've seen this problem 3 other times and it turned out each time the DIY builder forgot a snap-ring causing a synchro to put pressure on the other components and start melting them to the mainshaft... Not saying that's what you did, just giving you some background.. YMMV..
Old 03-17-2010, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Ya post up a pic man..that sucks to hear. Hopefully it's something simple so it goes back together for you easy.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without pics I assume you are refering to the countershaft extention 5th gear bearing? The plastic caged one?

I had the same thing happen to mne for reverse, it basically locked up on the shaft, the plastic cage melted, the rollers fell ou and took out reverse gear and the synchro assembly. What was left of the bearing was melted to the shaft. It would NOT go into reverse just like you said about 5th.

After my research and ordering 400 bucks worth of everything from thegearbox.org We figured it was due to lack of proper lubrication from the start. I dipped i in a litle trans fluid but that wasnt good enough, You are suppose to pack the bearings with transgel (transmission soluble grease) evidently.

I was able to polish the Main shaft with emory cloth and remove the junk on it, I was pretty lucky but it took a long time to get it back to a mirror finish.

So I put everything back together, and Im about to find out if it works.

Pics would help, but im willing to bet that bearing went out due to lubrication issues.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

All the bearings were packed with trans jel. The bearing i will post pics of but it is on the mainshaft with the spacers on either side. I haven't taken the countershaft apart yet but will be tonight. I will post up pics in a few.

The countershaft was never torn down further than up to the 5/6 syncro.All parts on that look ok.

Last edited by MUSTANGBRKR02; 03-17-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
EDIT

Alright i think i found two things that may be wrong. I think i switched the caged needle bearings from the countershaft to the mainshaft. The ones in the picture.

I had a plastic washer that is torn up it was about the size of the inside of the R syncro and was thin and black. Not sure where that was but it is all torn up now. But i can not find that washer on the parts breakdown.
That Black Washer thing sits on the Reverse Synchro Hub, it's #68 in the T56 Assembly Diagram 2.3. From what I can tell it's just a Bushing..the name says Thrust Washer though. When assembled it rests inbetween the Synchro Hub Assembly, and the Reverse Gear.

You can see it in this pic I took of mine..you see a part of it..it's on the inside of the Wave Ring, and the Reverse Synchro..

Those two Medal Collars go on the outside of that yellow Nylon Roller Bearing Assembly, it goes on the Mainshaft behind the Reverse Gear.

Here is a pic of that..

Nothing looks that bad in your pics..look about normal. I don't remember the exact placement of the Cage Bearings..I would replace the Yellow one. The Mainshaft looks like it can be cleaned up with a Green Scrubbie and definately re-used.

Were the Snap Rings all in their proper places?

Last edited by the_merv; 03-17-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

That is how i had everything set up. I think i had the caged needle bearings swapped. they are about a 1/8" off in size.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Added pics. Any idea's?
Old 03-22-2010, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Well i got it fixed! I had the two bearings swapped and ate up a few parts as posted above. The transmission shifts great and doesn't fall out of gear now! All in all i saved alot of money doing it myself and will be doing it again.

Quick Reply: Where did i mess up? t56 rebuild