Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

should i rebuild or just get new tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i rebuild or just get new tranny?

so i got quoted at 1700 for a stock rebuild and clutch install from my dad's friend, but rather upgrade (do it right the first time)

TICK has their built kits for 630 plus shipping then i just gatta find a guy to do the work, and hope theres nothing broken in there that will cost me even more money... the guy that said hed rebuild it mentioned that he doesnt even touch t56s, he has a guy send him a borg warner "box" and he jsut stalls that (his cost is 1600 for the "box")

Kaltech is suppose to get back to me tomorrow with a quote to rebuild, but on the phone he mentioned 1800 but said hell email me back with an actual price breakdown

ORRRR

i found a couple trannys on here for around 1500 give or take a couple hundred that are rebuilt with upgraded parts

already ordered the monster stage 3... and so the debt grows

shitty situation
Old 05-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Is the DIY too intimidating for you? This is one of those things that could save you a quite a bit of money.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 AM
TECH Regular

I could be wrong, but I think you can get ticks stage 3 viper upgrade super awesome rebuild for a few dollars more than your stock rebuild quote. Go that route, even if you have to scrape together a few more bucks. If you already smoked a stock tranny youre just going to do it again. And if you cant afford to do it right, you cant afford to do it twice check out ticks site for pricing. http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...body/t56parts/
Old 05-19-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
I could be wrong, but I think you can get ticks stage 3 viper upgrade super awesome rebuild for a few dollars more than your stock rebuild quote. Go that route, even if you have to scrape together a few more bucks. If you already smoked a stock tranny youre just going to do it again. And if you cant afford to do it right, you cant afford to do it twice check out ticks site for pricing. http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...body/t56parts/
lol, ya i just found that at 11:00 last night and was like "f'in sweet!"
but i think ill go the stage 2 route for 1350 including shipping both ways, and good for 600+rwtq
and i think what fried the clutch was: already having clutch problems, a trip to the track, and then driving the car 6 hours home from college having to double clutch every gear and still grinding

whiteseven- i have no problem doing things myself, but theres certain things that i rather do on a different car before mine, and since ive never rebuilt a transmission, i dont feel comfortable to do it now and expect it to hold up to any abuse
Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

ah go stage 3, then you can REALLY REALLY beat the snot out of it!!

Better start saving money ASAP for a new rear end too you know thats next!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

haha, i work from the rear forward...

moser 12 bolt 33 spline axles, 1350 yokes, 4.11, eaton HD posi
steel 1350 yoke driveshaft
what it thought was a tranny built for 450rwtq
stock internal ls1 lol
Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Check out the website in my sig for T56 rebuild prices. We offer things that no other shop can offer, including a 31-spline (stronger than the 30-sp Viper) shaft conversion and shaft journal repair/modification. We've been in business 7 years, but just became a sponsor here a few months ago. Do a search for my user name here "TDP" to see my feedback on this forum. Shipping would be close to 100 each way. Thanks

-Jason
Old 05-19-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

TDP you SOB, i just pulled the tranny today and was all ready to go buy the 45gal crate to ship it to Tick, now you have my second guessing myself

OH WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
TDP you SOB, i just pulled the tranny today and was all ready to go buy the 45gal crate to ship it to Tick, now you have my second guessing myself

OH WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO!!!
Lol, its all about healthy competition.
31 spline > 30 spline
Old 05-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Banned

I personally do not think there is an ounce of difference between the two shafts. I've been using the 30 spline Viper shaft for years with out a single failure.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thesource
I personally do not think there is an ounce of difference between the two shafts. I've been using the 30 spline Viper shaft for years with out a single failure.
if i wanted your opinion, id give it to you

lol- they're prob both so strong that neither of em will break
Old 05-21-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

so i went with Tick, anyone have their stage 2 rebuild? how is it? how much did it end up costing after they replaced everything?