Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

anything better then the spec 3+ in same price range?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anything better then the spec 3+ in same price range?

its time to replace my spec 3+ so tuesday i am ordering a new clutch, i love how street friendly this clutch is and it lasted 5k of heavy strip use but while i have the tranny out i am changing it, so my question is, is there anything else out there that will out perform and out last it while still having the street friendliness and in the same price range? i know twin disk can but they are way out of my budget, so please keep suggestions to single disk only. my car weighs 2680 , it makes 545 ft ibs to the wheels (will turn it up some day) and it is daily driven and raced every weekend. i know the spec 3+ was over kill but i like the buffer a little over kill provides, some times i have to make another pass at the track with little cool down time so a clutch thats on the edge of my power might slip if still hot.

Last edited by lavoy; 07-06-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I would look into the Monster stg 3 setup. Ive been running one on my SS for a little while now and it loves a good beating and hot lapping at the track. I bought it with there 28lb flywheel and slave/piolet bearing for around 799.00 I believe. But I know sponsers on here run specials.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

that is on my list to look into for sure, has any one ran one of these long enough to determine life expectancy compared to the spec? in my past experience pucks seem to last less then full disk and are harder on the flywheel and pp.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Well from what I gather I know there is people with 20k or more on them and still ticking strong. My car isnt a DD but does come out almost every weekend and has around 3k or so on it and some track time. Drives nice and doesnt chatter nearly as bad as my spec 3 did. Very nice piece IMHO.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

hmm my spec 3+ is as smooth as butter never any chatter. thanks for the input
Old 07-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Textralia OZ700 Z grip.

When priced, your in the same range.

The main issue is that Spec's CANNOT be slipped, they are ment to be driven like the MAN! Tex clutches have held past 700 hp/tq and has wonderful street manners.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our Monster Level 3 is perfect for your application. At this point we have several happy customers with 25K+ miles on these units. Give us a call if you have any questions or would like to place an order.

Matt
817-750-2000
Old 07-07-2010, 11:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd agree with the above about the Monster! When you add the price of a new flywheel to a SPEC or RAM, the Monster is actually very competitively priced! We've had alot of success with the Monster line-up so far!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

I am one of those customers who had well over 20K on my level 3 Monster when it came out. I had a rear main leak evidently, and it was still holding with no problem. I rarely take the car out without beating on it, and it made several visits to the track. Plus their customer service and warranty is the best out there.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

stay away from spec, id go with something else.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:18 AM
FormerVendor

Max, I am convinced that you need one of two things...a drink or a hobby that helps you relax...take a few good deep breaths and think of a happy place (LOL)! I am sure you know that I am just joking with you.

It seems that the OP is happy with the results of the 3+, he is merely looking at other options. I can understand someone being interested in seeing what else is available, even if they were more than happy with what they already have.

Lavoy, If you decide that you want to go the route of another Stage 3+ just let me know and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks jeremy, i ended up getting a monster to try out, the spec actually still looks great it only had 5k miles on it and is no where near worn out, it turns out my clutch rod had just came out of adjustment but of course i didnt notice this until i climbed under the dash to adjust it for the monsters different throw so i will either keep it as a back up or maybe pass it along to some one else who cant afford a new clutch. todays lesson is check your clutch rod and master/slave before dropping coin on a new clutch lol.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:09 PM
FormerVendor

No worries...the little things can make a big difference. Let me know if you need anything else in the future. Thanks,