Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Expensive Clutch M/C alternative

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expensive Clutch M/C alternative

I am looking for someone who has one of the 'expensive' $300+ Tilton based master cylinders that is not hooked up. I am looking for the outlet port bore size and the diameter of the fitting that screws into the M/C. Using the shank of a drill bit is probably the easiest way to measure the bore.

Thanks

If you happen to be in the Houston / Pearland, Texas area PM me.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

thinking of making your own? I'm debating picking up a tilton 75 series and trying to fab up my own mount for it
Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Teching In

My understanding is that "basicly" they use an off the shelf 7/8 bore M/C, add a bit of machining and a -4 AN outlet fitting and hose. The off the shelf outlet bore diameter should be 7/64 which is -3AN. I'm wondering if the 'expensive' unit has the outlet bore increased to 5/32, -4 AN. Also, has the body has been machined for a larger outlet fitting or is the bore of the standard fitting oversized.
I need the standard 90 degree mount and a $4 heim joint, so the other mods don't matter to me. I just don't want to spend an extra $250 if I can do the same thing in my shop.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Teching In

How about a photo of the outlet with the blue fitting removed. One of the blue fitting would help too.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you could always buy a tick master cylinder. They use a tilton unit
Old 07-24-2010, 03:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
Or you could always buy a tick master cylinder. They use a tilton unit
Sounds like he's trying to rip our kit off.

We have track tested, researched and improved our kits multiple times over the course of our tenure in the LSx Market. The T56 Transmission (and it's workings) are our specialty - we eat, sleep and breathe these things. Our kits are hands down the quickest shifting and most reliable units on the market, and although many have tried (and failed) to duplicate us - you simply can't beat the originator in this case.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

I dont think its really right to say he's trying to rip you off. From the sounds of it, he's not trying to sell them to make a buck, he just wants to build his own. I'm sure everyone is aware of your M/C and their benefits by now and if he chooses to not buy one from you, so be it.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raven154
I dont think its really right to say he's trying to rip you off. From the sounds of it, he's not trying to sell them to make a buck, he just wants to build his own. I'm sure everyone is aware of your M/C and their benefits by now and if he chooses to not buy one from you, so be it.
If he wants to build one himself thats perfectly fine. He may not be aware of the tick offering. However, it may end up being more cost effective to buy a M/C already put together by one of our vendors. Personally i have a Tick master, and it is a kick *** mod, probably the best one i have done with my car yet. So im a little biased when it comes to the selection of master cylinders
Old 07-24-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it sounds like he wants to use a bigger master then the tick unit and try it out cuz what i have been undersatnding is bigger master better the shifts are
Old 07-24-2010, 06:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raven154
Totally agreed - if he's just trying to build a kit for his custom application (see his signature), my apologies. We've definitely heard of more than one outfit in TX making attempts to rip our kit off, hence my suspicion.
Originally Posted by venom99
it sounds like he wants to use a bigger master then the tick unit and try it out cuz what i have been undersatnding is bigger master better the shifts are
Not necessarily - it is definitely possible to flow too much fluid! Check out our FAQ here for a good read: http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...aulics/#master
Old 07-24-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When i finally get my wife's approval (It is for HER car after all) ill be pickin up a M/C from Tick. There just doesnt seem to be anything else out there that compares!!

This sticky pedal crap has to stop lol!!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Hi Joey, I am not looking to start anything here and I am not trying to rip anybody off.
I have a Wilwood m/c with the outlet bore, line and both fittings at 4AN for my T56. When I contacted you last week, I stated this. When Jonathan replied that your m/c used a 4 AN fitting too, I would have had to be brain dead not to question why. The requests above are simply me trying to satisfy my curiosity. I have no intention of trying to be 2QWK II.

Quick Reply: Expensive Clutch M/C alternative