Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmisson Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Transmisson Fluid

Putting a new clutch in and decided it was a good idea to change the transmission fluid while I was at it. I have a 6 speed t-56. I can use Mobil 1 atf is this correct? How many quarts do I need? Thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pennzoil Synchromesh. I believe it's just shy of 4 qts IIRC
Old 08-26-2010, 10:51 PM

It's just shy of 4, I also would recommend since you are going to be taking the trans out to replace the pilot bearing and slave cylinder (seeing how that might break when you drop the trans from the car). Those two things are hardly an expense when you have already got the trans out but will save you trouble in the future.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes you can use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. Buy 4 quarts. Like said, it's just a little less than that. After I drain the tranny, I take the shifter off, stick a funnel in the hole, make sure the fill hole is open, and then pour all 4 quarts down the funnel. Then I close the fill hole once the stream of extra coming out slows down.

You can use Dexron III, Mobil 1 ATF, or Pennzoil Syncromesh, none of them will hurt the transmission and they will all work. Just don't use Dexron VI or Royal Purple tranny fluid. They can do bad things.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Does anyone know why the royal purple will tear up the tranny?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Something about minerals in it slowly dissolves synchronizers I believe. RP is good for pretty much everything else on your car though
Old 08-30-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote is for Mobil 1 atf, you need 4 quart, I did try plain jane dex/mercon not happy , pennzoil syncromesh not happy, mobil 1 atf ( very happy ), I also want to try redline D4 and AMSOIL torque drive, mabe next year.

ANY ONE HERE USING MOBIL 1 ATF AND HAVE ATF SMELL INSIDE THE CAR ? it been over a month and I some time still smell it lol.

Last edited by killagt; 08-30-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:45 AM
TECH Resident

Killagt why do you want to keep changing brands if you have found something your happy with? What did you not like about the other brands? Would it be safe to assume that you have checked for any tranny leaks?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 AM
Internet Mechanic

Do a search, you will see some of the discussions,

I use Synchromesh, no issues, rather like it a lot.

You can also use ATF, Redline, Synchromesh MF. There are plenty of opinions but one not to use is Royal Purple, eats the blocker rings.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 71ANTICARB
Killagt why do you want to keep changing brands if you have found something your happy with? What did you not like about the other brands? Would it be safe to assume that you have checked for any tranny leaks?
when I try cheapo regular dex/mer, it shift great until, after long traffic/racing the fluid break down and it made grind to second gear. and does not shift good, short drive is ok, but long drive in hot day, fluid fall in it face

when I try pennzoil syncromesh, it shift bad when first thing in the morning, until 10 min later it shift good, fluid never break down when long hard drive, but I have feeling that the most wear happent is first time drive, if fluid have to wait for 10 min drive to warm it up then start protect, then those first 10 min is wear my tranny out.

and I try mobil 1, bam !!! best of both word, fluid never break down when hot or long drive, shift good in the morning and when it heat up. and beside mobil 1 atf is synthetic high quality, so that also give me a peice of mind that im running quality fluid, that mean give me good protection heheh.

redline, I been using it for year on other car, alway want to try on my camaro, i just dont have time to wait for it to on in the mail. Redline is high quality then mobil 1. I want run best of the best, but for now mobil 1 is fine for me.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

I just put in my face plated t-56 Sunday and I installed Mobile one ATF. So far It is working great.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by as35thss
I just put in my face plated t-56 Sunday and I installed Mobile one ATF. So far It is working great.
Do you have atf smell inside your car, after put in mobil 1 atf, mabe after it get hot, it have smell ?, the fluid is exelent, high quality, just the atf smell something, mabe I smell it cause the fluid still have under 500 miles on it hehe.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've never had a weird smell with mobil 1 ATF. I switched to regular Dexron III lately tho.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
I've never had a weird smell with mobil 1 ATF. I switched to regular Dexron III lately tho.
Why ?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I kept on hearing about people screwing up their blocker rings because of synthetic ATF. I checked with Tremec, who told me to stay with Mobil 1, and then after I had some issues with my tranny (turned out to be nothing ), the mechanic I delt with (who actually knew his stuff) told me I had the paper blocker rings, which like conventional fluid.

I switched from Mobil 1 to Citgo and haven't really had any issues with either. The Mobil 1 seemed to shift a bit easier, but the Citgo made some noise go away. No real big issues, it was more of a preventive maintenance step.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
I kept on hearing about people screwing up their blocker rings because of synthetic ATF. I checked with Tremec, who told me to stay with Mobil 1, and then after I had some issues with my tranny (turned out to be nothing ), the mechanic I delt with (who actually knew his stuff) told me I had the paper blocker rings, which like conventional fluid.

I switched from Mobil 1 to Citgo and haven't really had any issues with either. The Mobil 1 seemed to shift a bit easier, but the Citgo made some noise go away. No real big issues, it was more of a preventive maintenance step.
Well only fluid that will eat your paper blocker ring is RP, I also seen peoples running RP without any problem, at the end, I think all fluid is the same, the only different is who be using it. What ever you feel comptible with stay with it. I fell regular oil do not stand up again heat like synthetic fluid is. and it break down and not protect when extreme condition like synthetic oil is.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard that paper rings work off of friction, and synthetic fluid doesn't provide enough friction to keep your rings working as long as they should. I probably will change fluid once a year or so (with a pump, it's not a bad job), so I'm not too worried about breakdown.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

I haven't noticed any smell, at lease not yet. Shift really good.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I changed mine out and had some O"reillys brand DEXIII and used it. I thought about using the Pennzoil synchromesh. However, I just went with what was on the side of the transmission. No grinding or hard shifting when its cold. Everything seems fine.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
I changed mine out and had some O"reillys brand DEXIII and used it. I thought about using the Pennzoil synchromesh. However, I just went with what was on the side of the transmission. No grinding or hard shifting when its cold. Everything seems fine.
that wat i use before, oreilly is not that high quality fluid, give me grind second when hot, and not doing well when high rpm, switch to mobil 1 atf, and fix all problem , just the atf smell inside car when fluid getting really hot

Quick Reply: Transmisson Fluid