Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

what happened to the "problems with monster clutch" thread?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what happened to the "problems with monster clutch" thread?

Did the resolve it? or was there fluid contamination? what was the outcome?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problems? What problems? I sell them all the time and never had any problems!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Default monster

Yes the guy with the clutch is my builder an monsters owner called him personally an made itrite
Old 09-07-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

It was 1 person that had a problem with a clutch failure. I was only interested to see if a cause for the failure was determined and if it was a defective part how monster handled it. I have a stage 3 on order, so i'm interested in seeing the outcome before I install it.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Great to hear they took care of it. But I think the thread should still be here so people can determine what clutch they want to buy based on good and bad results. As well as knowing how companies stand behind their products.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I actually had another shop butcher my clutch, install it with the bolts torqued too much on one side, resurfaced my flywheel too much, and installed the wrong slave cylinder. This lead to the clutch breaking in less than 2 weeks. Steve @ SNL Performance replaced everything and did it all for free including labor! I think that says enough about them standing behind their products.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
Did the resolve it? or was there fluid contamination? what was the outcome?
Good question - no matter how it was resolved I don't see the reason to delete the thread (this isn't the vette forum). I've always heard Monster stands behind their product so it shouldn't be an issue to say what the outcome was.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It got deleted I am sure as things are done behind the scenes.

Sponors pay for advertising, they do not like negative remarks, especially if they are possibly un true or there are other factors NOT being posted. It creates a negative vaccume that is not productive or helpful for anyone. Most of these issues can be resolved either via PM or it can be aired in the Sponsor Feedback forum.

Now I am ALWAYS skeptical of new companies, or products. ESPECIALLY clutches as in most cases, most of them feel "great, or awesome" but none have any real miles and most have not reaally abused them or raced them.

I think a recent few compaines that come to mind is Fuddle and APS as they had big support but then fell behind and are now basically gone.

So long story short, I have voiced my skepticizm, a few times with Monster but seemingly are doing good and post like that one may have been in error.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
It got deleted I am sure as things are done behind the scenes.
Probably. My brother had a similar thread about Monster (or maybe it was the same thread) and it got deleted.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

I can see deleting a post if it was negative. But the way that SNL handled the problem actually makes this a very postive post as far a customers seeing the kind of customer service that they have. It can also be a lesson for other DIY clutch installers, as to what they shouldn't do when installing a clutch. Either way I am happy that the problem is resolved and am definitely glad that I am getting a Monster clutch for my car. Thanks

Ryan
Old 09-09-2010, 01:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about the thread in question here, but I always hate seeing a customer gripe about a product defect on a public forum before trying to resolve it with the manufacturer. Like I said though, I have no idea if that were the case here or not.

I've seen Monster stand behind their products and I for one, am proud to own one of their clutches.

Mike
Old 09-09-2010, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
I don't know about the thread in question here, but I always hate seeing a customer gripe about a product defect on a public forum before trying to resolve it with the manufacturer. Like I said though, I have no idea if that were the case here or not.

I've seen Monster stand behind their products and I for one, am proud to own one of their clutches.

Mike
Couldn't have said it better. That's why you see sooo many posts about Spohn. BMR, UMI, etc. Most of the time it's user error that gets turned into a "product failure". Then, the only thing you see next is the sponsor over apologizing just to keep the bad mouthing down. If I was looking for a new product and seen a few "bad" posts then I would quit searching and try a different brand. Go directly to the source first then come and tell us how it was handled.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Actually if you read his first post he did. He said they offered to replace the disc and pressure plate for $450 and if the flywheel was junk that they would work a deal on it too. He simply stated that was unacceptable and what good is a warranty if they are not going to honor it. So he did contact them to try and resolve the issue. He even sent them pictures of it and they said it was fluid contamination and that's why they weren't honoring the warranty. So if the guy is guilty of something, it's not posting everything on here first and trying to resolve the issue later. It apears to me that Monster saw the post and went well ****, looks like we gotta fix this before it gets out of hand.

Who's right or wrong in the matter we may never know.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The complainant's photos clearly showed black fluid centrifuged outward from the center hub. I pointed that out, he claimed it was friction material dust (?) and started flinging insults at me. The entire thread was then deleted.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

I also saw the fluid. I was just stating the problem wasn't that he didn't talk to monster before coming on here, it was that monster didn't want to warranty the clutch because of fluid contamination. Granted, it didn't appear to be enough fluid to cause a clutch to come apart but anything is possible. I know when you use ARP flywheel bolts the instructions say to use moly lube or oil on the bolts. I have seen oil used and it cause an oil pattern just like the one pictured and the clutch didn't slip a bit. So to me, it doesn't look like enough to cause a catastrophic failure but that is based solely on the pictures he posted and my limited knowledge on the matter. If there is anybody that knows what cause clutch failures, it's clutch builders. Also, we also don't know how the clutch was really driven either.

Last edited by raven154; 09-09-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:26 PM
FormerVendor

Basically this is what happened:

Clutch failed due to contamination, it was in effect pilot bearing grease that we did not supply.
The customer was not able to reach us on the phone because we are in the process of moving, and much can be lost via email. When Steve called the customer everything was worked out where both parties were happy.

If anybody has any questions, please feel free to PM or email me.

Matt

Quick Reply: what happened to the "problems with monster clutch" thread?