Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3+ does this look like normal wear to you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spec 3+ does this look like normal wear to you?

I put the flywheel out of my car in the pics for color comparison.

I was told this clutch & flywheel was fine, but I'm not so sure.

Last edited by Subliminal Hit; 09-09-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Both of those pieces are smoked,I wouldnt put them back in..
Old 09-09-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Color is never good on a flywheel. Same can be said for "chunks" missing on the friction plate.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Yeah I thought the clutch was not worth putting in.

Well here's the deal...I bought this clutch off a member here, but I bought it six months ago...I received it and never unbolted it from the flywheel until 2 days ago when I went to put it in. So for me not checking it when I received it, am I crazy for asking for my refund now from the member? Should I have to take it as a loss?

I contacted the member to ask for a refund, and this was our private message and where we stand now(sorry for the bad paste job, the top two should be in the middle)

Originally Posted by 2002gt
Hey Man sorry I will not be giving a refund on this item. I kept all the pics & messages back and forth on this item. I didn`t mislead you in anyway and it was 6 months ago. I paid $60 for gas to the boarder plus $55 for shipping. After fees and shipping I received less than $200.

The spec 3+ cluch pp is rusted in the pics, which it was not when I shipped it. My car does not even see water.
A stage 3 cluch has pucks on the friction not a full disc like the stage 3+. Yours looks like a stage 2 as I replaced my stage 3 with the 3 +.
The stage 3+ disc is semi metallic which is way more aggressive.
The cluch I sent held fine to my car when I took it out. The clutch looks better same a my friends stage 4 with less miles. The stage 3+ & 4 run the same disc

Thanks
Originally Posted by Subliminal Hit
Hey man, I know it was 6 months ago but I'm going to have to ask for my money back for this clutch. I just took it out if the box to put it in and there is a lot of scaring on the clutch disc, and grooves in the flywheel and PP. I took the best pics I could to show the damage next to the spec 3 I pulled out of my car with a lot of miles. I'm going to be making around 800 wheel and need this clutch to be perfect. You can even see how hot the flywheel got by the discoloration on it. If you'll paypal me the $330 I'll ship it back to you

As long as the clutch wasn't overpowered and is in 100% working condition I'll take it, $325 shipped to the states 44145? Paypal?
This clutch was run in my street car. I was very careful breaking it in. 500 street miles before going wide open throttle. It was not over powered and was run on motor only.
It runs fine, I am only selling it to step up to a twin disc.
$325 shipped is fine if you add $8 for the 2.5% Paypal fees.

Email of paypal is.
payment sent... I realized after I clicked the send button to check the exchange rate... You ripped me off, your making an extra $6 on me j/k thanks man. Bill
Ha! Ha! Ha! The perks of living in Canada. Thanks for the payment. The clutch will work good for you.
I live 45 min from the USA boarder. I will be making a US trip this week so I will ship then. I will be using the UPS ground.
I received a e check payment from you that is being held till thursday. I will have to ship after then.

I will pm you a tracking number. Can you fill out Itrader rating for me please.
by you having 12 positive feedback rating, I expect you to be honest, especially you being here 6 years...but I just caught you in a lie right here....you said in your reply you spent $60 in gas to drive to the border, but in this pm you say you live 45 min away and you were headed that way anyway. So why would I believe anything you say now at this point?

But that's besides the point. The clutch is damaged. I don't know how you can even refute it with the picture of the discolored flywheel from heat.

Look man, I'm not an idiot. I'm an ASE certified technition and worked in a shop for a decade now. I know a thing or two, if not more about cars. The clutch is damaged, the flywheel surface has a nic in it and it ruined the clutch.

You can search my name and see I started a thread just about a month or two ago asking what head headgaskets to go with. I've been pilling up parts for my build and attempted to put it all in this week. I got the clutch from you, opened the top of the box and since it was tighted down to the flywheel with Allen bolts, I had nothing to take it apart with so I put it with my other parts, in my house where it stayed until this past weekend.

Just wanted to point out too that I never left trader feedback for you, because I never attempted to use the part.
Listen man.
I am a Jouneyman Automotive Technician so nice try.
Do the math 100km each way to the boarder in 1999 GMC truck is cost $60 CAD in gas.

The reason you bolt a used cluch together is to help the friction disc hold its shape. The same reason you bolt a pp down evenly when installing it. A AST tech would know that.

I am not threathed by feedback as I can leave one for you. You were sent pics and it was six months ago. Simple facts you bought a used cluch for a 800 hp build.. That what you got a used clutch.

For you to send me this message 6 months later is crazy.

End of disscussion.

2002gt
Old 09-10-2010, 06:25 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately your word against his, had you checked it as soon as it arrived, you woul be in a better position. As a seller, had I sold a Opti-spark to someone in March and in August I get a email saying it was not working. I would think they had been using it for 6 months. Got water on it and now its junk and they want me to pay for it, f*ck no!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:59 AM
FormerVendor

There appears to be a decent amount of wear and heat on the disc and flywheel. If you can measure the disc thickness I can let you know more about the amount of wear so you can have this as a point of reference.

Though it doesn't necessarily help with your current situation it is worth noting that Our Stage 3+ and 4 do not use the same discs. The Stage 3+ is a full-faced carbon-semi-metallic while the stage 4 is a pucked carbon-semi-metallic. 2002gt seems to indicate differently and is incorrect.

Additionally if you need anything else, parts or assistance, let me know and I would be happy to assist you. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

I figured that this would turn into a pissing match. I will not stay silent and let you destroy the good standing that I have worked to obtain on this message board!!!

First of all, you say I am dishonest. How the hell did I misslead you. You responded to a ad I had for the clutch. The pictures are clear as day in the ad. Anyone with half a brain could see what you were getting by the pictures. Especially if you are so called AST Tech.
So to say that I was hiding something by bolting the pressure plate to the flywheel for shipping is bull.

Here is the ad. To show the how the truth is being bent to make me look like I was in the wrong.

Original Ad.
-------------------------------------------
Category: Audio/Video/Electronics
Price: $0
Part Fits: 93-02 Chevrolet Camaro, 93-02 Pontiac Firebird
Location (State): Can-AB
Item Condition: Used
Shipping Information: Item Can be Shipped
Engine: LS2/LS3/LS7/L92/LS9, LS1/LS6

Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel assembly for sale. Selling to upgrade to different cluch for nitrous. This clutch has only has 2500km and was broken in correctly. It drives and holds great. Asking $325 obo.
--------------------------------------------------

AT NO TIME, at time of purcahse did you say anything about a 800 hp build or I would told you to find a different clutch.
From my understanding you were Joe blow looking for a used clucth to get them by for a while.

After recieving the clutch Subliminal Hit even gives me positive Itrader feedback for the clutch then SIX MONTHS later its all this ****. You are the loser. I think everyone with half a brain can figure out who is the real dishonest person is!!!!

Why don`t you just admit you fucked up when you bought the clutch from me. Kept it for six months and you figured you could bash me on the board to try to get your money back. To try and get others support for you by tell half the story is low.

You are a joke. Get bent.

Last edited by 2002gt; 09-10-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Launching!

This isn't going to turn into a pissing match, because I don't have the mentality of a 5 year old and call you names on a public forum like a "loser" "a joke" or to "get bent".

I started a thread asking peoples opinions on the condition of the parts. Then, after two people stated they don't look very good, I posted the rest of the story, what part did I leave out? And before I posted the pm, I stated that I bought it 6 months ago and asked if I should just take it as a loss....where do you see me asking if this guy should have to give me money back? I asked if I was wrong.

But, since you asked...if you read the very first pm I sent you, I said IF the clutch is in 100% working order I'll take it. And if the clutch is NOT in 100% in working order, then why would you now say if you new I was going to make xxx horse power, you would have told me to look elsewhere? Also, the obvious one is where you said you live 45 min from the boarder and was making the trip anyway, then say it cost you $60 to drive it accross the boarder...yeah.

The fact of the matter is the item you said is in 100%, clearly is not. If you want to continue to deflect and call me names go right ahead, you're just showing how classless you are.

Thanks to those that posted for your opinion on the condition of the parts.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Launching!

And also, those pics are not very good in your for sale ad. I gave you the benefit of the doubt because of your positive feedback on this site.

Where do you see me saying anything about you bolting the clutch to the flywheel to hide something? I just said since it was bolted tight I didn't have the proper tools at home to properly inspect it. I never accused you of knowingly selling me damaged parts, but with your act since I asked for my money back I'm starting to wonder....
Old 09-10-2010, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Say what you want, you posted my name. To me that is a personal attack.
The clutch was in working order when I took it out.

By the way the first time you mention your power goals was when you asked for money back a couple days back.

My pictures are not clear but the ones you posted are?

Just a note for you`re information Lethbridge AB to Coutts boarder crossing is 1 hour and 21 min drive oneway according to google earth. Thank you

You talk about no class. You post on here about me and don`t tell the complete story about what happen. Then you wonder why I call you out.

I do not need to deflect anything because all the facts and the complete story is out now.

I have said my piece I am done with this.

2002 gt

This isn't going to turn into a pissing match, because I don't have the mentality of a 5 year old and call you names on a public forum like a "loser" "a joke" or to "get bent".

I started a thread asking peoples opinions on the condition of the parts. Then, after two people stated they don't look very good, I posted the rest of the story, what part did I leave out? And before I posted the pm, I stated that I bought it 6 months ago and asked if I should just take it as a loss....where do you see me asking if this guy should have to give me money back? I asked if I was wrong.

But, since you asked...if you read the very first pm I sent you, I said IF the clutch is in 100% working order I'll take it. And if the clutch is NOT in 100% in working order, then why would you now say if you new I was going to make xxx horse power, you would have told me to look elsewhere? Also, the obvious one is where you said you live 45 min from the boarder and was making the trip anyway, then say it cost you $60 to drive it accross the boarder...yeah.

The fact of the matter is the item you said is in 100%, clearly is not. If you want to continue to deflect and call me names go right ahead, you're just showing how classless you are.

Thanks to those that posted for your opinion on the condition of the parts.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Launching!

So that's it then? You just wash your hands of this, and it's my problem to deal with? I think we agree now that the clutch and flywheel are not right, right? Whether I bought this 6 months ago or today, the fact remains that the parts I got from you were not 100%. What am I supposed to do with this thing, I'm not going to sell it pretending I don't know what's wrong with it.

If you feel it's still good, give me my money back, I'll pay to ship it back to you and you can resell it.