Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Oil in clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in clutch

Ok so I had a oil leak in the rear of my manifold that no longer leaks after I fixed it, however my clutch still slips... a lot.

And it's been oily and slipping for a good time now. I know every time it slips it's wearing down the clutch. It's gotten so bad now that I can barely use my 5th and 6th gears to accelerate. I can barely touch the gas pedal when I'm on the highway in 6th.

So is it even worth spraying down the clutch with brake cleaner? I dont want to pull the trans and put it back on just to find out that its only, say, 10% better. I fixed the oil leak so now its just oil in there. I don't want to pull the trans twice, if cleaning it doesnt fix it, let alone even do it in the first place.

So should I try cleaning it or get a new clutch? And do I need a new flywheel and pressure plate too? Or just a new clutch disk and clean/resurface the other parts?

I currently have a SPEC 3 kit in there so would it be bad to get a stock clutch disk? (poor college student with no time or money to do anything). Ugh, I just need some help here.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, if the clutch disc has oil on it then IMO its toast. I refuse to use a oily disc. You can take your flywheel and have it resurfaced and it will be just fine. I dont see a reason why you couldnt re use your pressure plate.... They are just gonna send you another one exactly like it. The only way I wouldnt use it is if it was showing signs of wear and stuff like that. If I were you, I would post pictures of the Pressure plate on here and let people tell you what they think. There is a lot of experience in here. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
Ok, if the clutch disc has oil on it then IMO its toast. I refuse to use a oily disc. You can take your flywheel and have it resurfaced and it will be just fine. I dont see a reason why you couldnt re use your pressure plate.... They are just gonna send you another one exactly like it. The only way I wouldnt use it is if it was showing signs of wear and stuff like that. If I were you, I would post pictures of the Pressure plate on here and let people tell you what they think. There is a lot of experience in here. Good luck.
So as far as just buying a new clutch disk, would I have to get a SPEC disk or would something like this from summit do just fine?

Also someone told me to replace the input shaft seal while the trans is out. Yes/no? And also the throwout bearing would be good as well, correct?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 AM
FormerVendor

Re-use of the disc is dependent on the amount of wear present. When and where were the disc bought? I ask because the starting thickness has changed over time. Once I have this I can give you the starting thickness measure so we can determine if the disc needs to be replaced.

Additionally if there is great wear on the flywheel, and or disc, there will also be wear on the pressure-plate. You can check the plate for flatness using a straight-edge and a feeler-gauge to determine how much wear is present. If the plate is dished badly due to wear then it needs to be replaced. If you chose to reuse it you could have greater potential for chatter, reduced capacity, and lesser drivability.

I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IanWatson
So as far as just buying a new clutch disk, would I have to get a SPEC disk or would something like this from summit do just fine?

Also someone told me to replace the input shaft seal while the trans is out. Yes/no? And also the throwout bearing would be good as well, correct?

I would get a spec disc because, well, you get what you pay for. Do yourself a favor and get the spec disc. You will thank yourself later.

About the input shaft seal, its totally up to you. If its leaking then yeah, I would do it. If its not leaking and it looks good then put it in and ride. I would replace the throw out bearing also just for the piece of mind. I would hate to know I had the chance to replace it when it went out 1,000 miles later. Im not saying its going to but I wouldn't take that chance.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

if you're looking for a super cheap clutch look at advance auto. I got their perfection clutch kit (made by Zoom) which includes new pressure plate, clutch disk, pilot bearing, etc. and then their slave cylinder and throwout bearing all for around $250 shipped with their 20% off and free shipping sale (which they have quite often).

I only have 2500 miles on mine but it doesn't chatter at all, holds my 350ish rwhp just fine, and costs less than half of what most clutch kits would cost you
Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
FormerVendor

Use of any other disc and its proper function is relative to the discs thickness and the pressure-plate it is being used with. Let me know when and where the kit was purchased as well as the thickness of the disc you are considering and I can let you know more. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Use of any other disc and its proper function is relative to the discs thickness and the pressure-plate it is being used with. Let me know when and where the kit was purchased as well as the thickness of the disc you are considering and I can let you know more. Thanks!
Thing is, I bought the car last year with the previous owner not telling me any of that, so I am not sure about it. All I know is that it's a stage 3 spec clutch kit. Any details beyond that are above my knowledge.

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
if you're looking for a super cheap clutch look at advance auto. I got their perfection clutch kit (made by Zoom) which includes new pressure plate, clutch disk, pilot bearing, etc. and then their slave cylinder and throwout bearing all for around $250 shipped with their 20% off and free shipping sale (which they have quite often).

I only have 2500 miles on mine but it doesn't chatter at all, holds my 350ish rwhp just fine, and costs less than half of what most clutch kits would cost you

Thanks for that, I will definitely look into that. From what it seems, the discs themselves are ~$200 so why not get the entire deal for just 50 more.

Quick Reply: Oil in clutch