Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 bearing race removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t56 bearing race removal?

Im rebuilding my first t56 and one of the races inside the main case is rusted a bit from it sitting and Id like to swap them out. I purchased a Kent Moore t56 tool kit cheap off ebay but it doesnt include the tools to remove those two races inside the transmission case (check pics I borrowed from other threads.) Can anyone recommend a safe way to remove and reinstall these without damaging the case?
I know your not supposed to remove them unless damaged and I supposed I could try and polish out the rust...but honestly with the money Im spending on the t56 parts Id rather not have it die down the road on account of $20 in bearing parts. Also, the kent-moore tool seems impossible to find and are expensive at that...almost cheaper to buy a new main case. Surely someone on this board has a low buck way to replace the races?
Thanks!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails t56 bearing race removal?-hiltonstrans2.jpg  
Old 10-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

don't know if this is possible for you but what i do at work to pull races out is weld a small quick bead of stainless all the way around the inside of the race. the stainless contracts and the race falls right out. I sure somebody might have a better way but thats how we pull em out of the industrial valves at work. good luck!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

With the case upside down on a piece of wood, you can barely get a punch to catch the lip of the race from the top, and slowly/carefully tap it out. It can take 20-30min of tapping around the circumference of the race to get it out, but it works in a pinch..

Only do one race at a time, as I've found the case can sometimes "relax" doing both and lead to cracks or difficulty installing the new race.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, I have a MIG welder and some stainless wire in the garage...but I sure would be nervous about trying that. Thanks for the tip, Ill save that as a possible last resort. Anybody else?
Old 10-19-2010, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put the case in the hot sun for awhile, or an oven. Try to get it about 200-225 degrees. Then apply an ice cube or a shot of nitrous directly to the steel bearing race without touching the aluminum case around it. The heat will expand the case diameter for the race, and the cold will contract the steel race. The race should plop right out, or gently tap it out from the other side.

Is that "low buck" enough for ya.

Mike
Old 10-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

or use cold wet rag on the race with cold water at hand. Thats another way we pull races out.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:30 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
With the case upside down on a piece of wood, you can barely get a punch to catch the lip of the race from the top, and slowly/carefully tap it out. It can take 20-30min of tapping around the circumference of the race to get it out, but it works in a pinch..

Only do one race at a time, as I've found the case can sometimes "relax" doing both and lead to cracks or difficulty installing the new race.
This is the best method. I do it a little differently, though. I just use a large flathead screwdriver & hammer to punch out the races. The flathead part tapers down enough to catch the corner of the race. Then hit it 180 degrees off from that and so on, until the race is out. Then using a J-8092 driver handle and adapter, hammer the new races in (or just use the old races to drive the new ones in). This whole process takes about 5min

BTW, if you damage the race seat in the bore, no big deal..It can easily be cleaned up with a small dremel tool.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the tips. I plan to give this a shot this weekend.

Quick Reply: t56 bearing race removal?