Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Smoked a RPS BC2 in 2000 miles! pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoked a RPS BC2 in 2000 miles! pics

I bought an RPS BC2 and installed it in June this year, the clutch worked fine for the last couple of months until I tried to tune the car on nitrous. The first time the nitrous turned on it blew through the clutch so I pulled it out and found the clutch to be completely worn out.
My car is a full weight F-body 3800lbs with driver and puts down 553hp 506ft-lbs to the wheels on motor with 4.10 gears. My nitrous set up is direct port .026 nitrous jets .020 fuel (200 shot to the wheels) I spoke to Rob from RPS in the spring and he assured me that the twin would be fine for my application. Since the install I have only driven 2000-2500 miles and less than 10 runs at the drag strip. I have mostly just autocrossed all summer and when autocrossing I start out and just leave it in 2nd.
I spoke to RPS and they said they wanted me to measure the disks and take pictures, so here they are...
flywheel measures .033" to bolt head
pressure plate .038" to rivet
Inner disk .294" thick
Outer disk .285" thick
floater disk .293" thick

Old 11-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Teching In

The owner of RPS Rob got back to me yesterday and said

Thank you for the pictures and info. Every second gear start in a
3800lb car is equal to 2-3 first gear launchs at the drag strip. Also
I am not sure if you are using the clutch to help rotate the car while
autocrossing, but anytime that your foot is pushing in or out the
clutch pedal the clutch is wearing. To get longer life out of the
clutch, if you are using the clutch to rotate the car be sure to cool
down the clutch after each run by leaving the clutch pedal pushed in
with the engine running so that air can circulate around the disc and
floater. If you do not cool the clutch after each run it is the same
as leaving your foot on the brake pedal after your run. From what I
see and read, the clutch needs a rebuild. A rebuild lists for
$1,795.00 but I give you the racer price of $1,436.00.

Kind regards,

RJ
Old 11-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Teching In

so then I replied: Really the clutch is smoked? I had 7 autocross events this season and the first 2 events of the season were on a slipping tex oz700 with 10000 miles on it. I dont use the clutch at all except to start off so are you telling me that I wore out a $2000 clutch in 5 autocrosses and 10 drag strip passes and only 2000-2500 miles! And all you are going to offer me is -360 on a rebuild?!?!
It just doesn't seem like I got much use out of the clutch that I was told would perform so well!
Jason
Old 11-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Sorry that was lengthy my last response was sent yesterday, and havent gotten anything back from them. I just wanted to get all the facts out there.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you sure your clutch is disengaging properly?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

man some thing doesnt sound right ive beat on a RPS much harder and didnt burn it out are you really really slipping it all the time ?

I know leaving in 2nd is alot harder but on the street i leave in 2nd with over 850 RWHP when ever i race and the roads not tacky enough. this is with a 4000 lb car

Are you running a stock master ? did you check and see if the clutch was fully disengaging at a stop ?

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 11-19-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
Are you running a stock master ? did you check and see if the clutch was fully disengaging at a stop ?
Tick master here. Did the test pushing in the clutch and revving up to 6k and it doesnt pull forward, I also checked the slave to clutch fingers clearance and it was .090 so according to Tick I'm good there they recommend .062-.125
The thing is when I measured the disks I noticed the flywheel disk (flywheel has carbon material on it just like clutch disk)is a bigger diameter than the rest of the disks so it shows an area that was not worn. It only shows .008 wear in the WORST spot! I think the disks had a defect which caused them to wear prematurely.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:52 AM
10 Second Club

I think that they are under the impression that you are starting out in 2nd gear often...when i read it...i'm under the impression that you start in 1st then shift to 2nd and leave it in gear the whole autocross...might want to clarify with them
Old 11-23-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
I think that they are under the impression that you are starting out in 2nd gear often...when i read it...i'm under the impression that you start in 1st then shift to 2nd and leave it in gear the whole autocross...might want to clarify with them
Exactly what i was thinking.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

starting off in 2nd may not have been a typo. it's a 550+hp car with 4.10's, with that much gear and power 1st really isn't needed for autox, so it just saves time not making that extra shift.

even so, the 7 autox's you did (~8 runs at each) times their "2-3" drag pass equivalent claim, makes it seem that they're saying it's not unusual that their clutch is worn out after 2,000 miles and about 130 passes. either that, or they don't know why it wore out and they're just feeding you BS so they aren't obligated to give you a new one. either way you look at it that's almost $20 worth of clutch per pass. I don't know how long those clutches are supposed to last but that seems ridiculous. I would tell them to give you a huge discount on the rebuild or just say screw them and tell everyone you ever meet not to buy one.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
starting off in 2nd may not have been a typo. it's a 550+hp car with 4.10's, with that much gear and power 1st really isn't needed for autox, so it just saves time not making that extra shift.

even so, the 7 autox's you did (~8 runs at each) times their "2-3" drag pass equivalent claim, makes it seem that they're saying it's not unusual that their clutch is worn out after 2,000 miles and about 130 passes. either that, or they don't know why it wore out and they're just feeding you BS so they aren't obligated to give you a new one. either way you look at it that's almost $20 worth of clutch per pass. I don't know how long those clutches are supposed to last but that seems ridiculous. I would tell them to give you a huge discount on the rebuild or just say screw them and tell everyone you ever meet not to buy one.
130 passes on a clutch that is leaving at a drag strip that is slipping it and leaving hard is avg i think

Plus each shift going into and out of the turns
Old 11-24-2010, 08:18 AM
10 Second Club

130 passes???...i thought i read 10 passes
Old 11-24-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
130 passes???...i thought i read 10 passes
Yeah it was 10 passes, his first and second post say 10 passes so I dunno where the other info is coming from. Seems like the company needs the right info as they think you just beat the crap outta that thing and rode the clutch a lot during racing but it seems like you are trying to say that wasn't the case. Couldn't you send them the bad clutch and have them analyze it to see if there were any real defects? Or even someone who is well informed of how a normal clutch should look under the circumstances like a good shop near by could probably check it out. Pictures can be deceiving so seeing it in person is always the best way. Just my .02... Good luck either way.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

did you guys read my post? my "130 passes" came from them claiming a 2nd gear start at autox is about equal to 2-3 drag launches. and there is no shifting in and out of turns, he said he just leaves it in 2nd. I don't know much about high hp clutches but that doesn't seem like it's worth it for what the thing costs.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Any update on this situation? I was looking into getting a RPS twin disk in the future.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With that kind of customer service I would go with a monster clutch heard nothing but good things especially about their customer service.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a rps max unsprung once and it was the best clutch I ever bought..
Old 12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TwoSS'sinNY
Tick master here. Did the test pushing in the clutch and revving up to 6k and it doesnt pull forward, I also checked the slave to clutch fingers clearance and it was .090 so according to Tick I'm good there they recommend .062-.125
The thing is when I measured the disks I noticed the flywheel disk (flywheel has carbon material on it just like clutch disk)is a bigger diameter than the rest of the disks so it shows an area that was not worn. It only shows .008 wear in the WORST spot! I think the disks had a defect which caused them to wear prematurely.
Hi, first sorry to here about your troubles...What kind of a "break-in period" did you go through when you first installed the clutch..??

We have sold and installed dozens and dozens of RPS clutches in the past 2 years...I have never seen one go out like yours did from your explanation in you first post...

FYI, we are a major Distributor for RPS & Monster Clutches, we have some very owesome specials on all RPS Clutches, but I dont think you want another one of those...

We have a Super Holiday Special Sale on ALL MONSTER CLUTCHES, Levels 1-6 are $150 off + FREE Shipping...So thats like $200 OFF during the month of December, just give me a call and we will be glad to help in anyway we can...thanks Mike Yeager

Quick Reply: Smoked a RPS BC2 in 2000 miles! pics