Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SPEC 2 fails to operate

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPEC 2 fails to operate

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...yd-issues.html

look at this thread. The fix...I installed the stock clutch, flywheel, and PP. and.....worked perfectly. Thanks spec for the bad parts that made me replace my slave cylinder and master cylinder, AGAIN. And yes I measured and needed the shim. I also torqued the PP bolts correctly.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

After a conversation with spec 1 (j. Auvil) i have to send the clutch/flywheel/pp back to them so they can try and repair them or even determine if they are damaged or defective. I warn everyone to stay away from this company because this is not how business should be done. They want me to ship the defective parts to them at my cost so they can try and fix. I am starting a complaint with the better business bureau about this. They send a piece of paper with the clutch kits that say basically if you install the kit they will not refund you any money. I was treated decently on the phone and for that i thank you mr auvil. I dont agree with your companies business practices especially if spec has so many happy customers wouldnt you want keep customers not have unhappy people flame you in every forum they can create a login at and submitting bbb complaints.

This is how i feel right now!
To Active Duty Service member, Veteran of 3 Combat deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan(USMC),
Can i steal your money for the clutch kit?
From spec P.S. Happy Holidays
Old 01-04-2011, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

BBB report number is 85033346
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

I actually had a SPEC 2 a loooong time ago and it worked fine, but just didn't last as long as it should have.

FWIW, the BBB doesn't mean jack **** these days.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:30 PM
FormerVendor

Southern, I attempted to help you relative to our Policies, which are clearly outlined, and included with every kit we manufacture. I understand that you feel this is a parts issue and I am certainly going to assess the parts to the fullest of our ability and will let you know what we find. The parts will be checked for proper build/set-up and actuation and I will do my best to continue to assist you...let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 01-06-2011, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Your policies make it the consumers responsibility for specs bad products. You told me that I have to pay to ship it back to you and then SPEC will determine if it is bad, then fix, then send it back. I have already bought the product. You should cover the shipping at a minimum if your policy is to only fix the bad products.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Launching!

damn that sucks bro.

What clutches last longer? I was looking into an LS7 clutch kit
Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

i also am having issues with a spec 2. it seems as though the clutch is still slightly engaged. the new clutch slips bad with the tires cold and is undrivable after only 2-3 miles. the flywheel is a spec billet steel, and the hydraulics are all new and stock with thexception of the MC it is a Tick Perf, also brand new.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

That is what happens with spec! I warn everyone stay away from this inferior product and company!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've had great luck with my SPEC 2. I installed it with a new OEM LS1 flywheel, new GM master cylinder, a new GM Slave cylinder and a Tick remote bleeder. I made sure that it was well bleed and I broke it in for about 500miles. After that I let it eat and I just make sure to keep my hydrualics in good working order. I've had it for almost two years and nearly 20k miles and it's been holding up great. First at bolt on 350hp/350tq and then an additional 100shot of nitrous. Now I'm making 418hp/413tq on the motor and I also spray a 100shot on this clutch. This car goes out and gets driven hard on the weekends. I find that no matter what brand of clutch you use, good hydraulics will make or break a setup.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

I made sure to replace the master and slave with new GM parts. These were not the problem. The problem is the SPEC parts. I am happy for you that you got one of the good 25,000 parts that they made. I personally will never use their products, ever. I am going to break down and pay the shipping back to them so they can fix/replace what ever is jacked up and sell the items. The company makes me sick that they hide under the "its our policy" to basically bend the customer over and hold them hostage with bad parts.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me break this down for you guys. Read their policies before you purchase their products. If you don't like their policies then don't order a spec product, plain and simple. Go with someone who offers something better. I am not bashing spec whatsoever because I have not used their products.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

If there quality control is so garbage you would think they have a better system to handle their issues.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what you get for choosing a spec over a normal ls7 clutch setup.. $400 bucks gets you a RELIABLE, DURABLE 500+hp rated clutch people. Common ****** sense serves wonders sometimes... I had 3friends with spec 3 clutches, all were taken out of the cars and THROWN OUT as utter junk within 5k miles.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 PM
FormerVendor

Slow, you seem to describe a different issue. You evidence slippage while southern says that his clutch would not release...these are not the same issue. Where does, the engagement of your clutch occur relative to pedal travel? Is it high or low? Let me know and I will be happy to assist you further.

It is worth noting that other factors can affect clutch release and this is why I want to examine the parts to determine what the cause is (be it something in the clutch assembly or another factor). I have attempted to assist southern all along on this...and will continue to do so. Additionally, Southern, I have not recevied your parts...do you have a tracking number for them. It is possible that all this crazy weather has delayed the shipment. Let me know. Thanks,
Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
FormerVendor

fccs, we build thousands of these units and have great results with them. Did any of your "friends" contact us regarding their issues? Do you know their RMA #'s so I can provide more info about our finings relative to their units? It's easy to make sweeping statements but lets actually look at the issues and history on their parts and we can discuss this further?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
fccs, we build thousands of these units and have great results with them. Did any of your "friends" contact us regarding their issues? Do you know their RMA #'s so I can provide more info about our finings relative to their units? It's easy to make sweeping statements but lets actually look at the issues and history on their parts and we can discuss this further?
One threw it out because it was his 2nd one, the other contacted spec and was given a hard time about returning it because it was over 30days old and would need to be inspected to see the fault or something. These incidents both happened within the past 3 years. I don't know the details I just remember alot of cursing at the track..lol
Old 01-12-2011, 03:02 PM
FormerVendor

Because this is relative I wanted to provide a snip-it from southern's other thread that may shed some light on his issue:

"It is also worth noting that over-torquing the plate can cause damage that would affect clutch release:

'I took the trans off today, removed the bellhousing and pp, the pp bolts were alot tighter than 22 ft lbs.'

This could very easily explain your issues...and if this is in fact the cause it will be evident when the parts are assessed. As mentioned...we will see when the parts arrive!"
Old 01-12-2011, 03:06 PM
FormerVendor

fccs, our warranty is 120-days from the date of purchase and always has been. We would not have told someone that they were out of luck after 30-days. Though, if they had an issue we would have certainly wanted to get a look at the parts to determine the actual cause. I am sure that you realize the significance that installation, break-in, flatness of the flywheel, and torque output have relative to clutch life.

I know it may be easy to say "it must be the clutch" but in truth without having been given the opportunity to assess the parts don't you think that blaming them without actually knowing the cause of the problem is a little premature or assumptive?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Teching In

I have a Spec 2 Clutch and had the same problem. I called Spec and they were very nice on the phone but wanted me to pay to have it shipped back to them and wait for them to tell me what was wrong. I did not have time for this as it is a daily driver.

What I found out on my own was that the shim they gave me was not big enough. It was a .1010" shim I think, after doing some measuring, I had my brother (he is a CNC Machinist) make a .060" shim to put in with the one Spec gave me. At that point it started working.

I have talked to a few other people with the same problem. I even called Spec back and told them what I had found out and was told they will look into it. I guess they didn't.

Quick Reply: SPEC 2 fails to operate