Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

6 speed trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6 speed trans problems

hi i have a 98 trans am 6speed... car shifts fine into all gears except for reverse but i'll get to that later. My problem is when I let out on the clutch and give it gas too quick it will start grinding and chattering to hell and back ...i've gotten use to letting out on the clutch just about all the way without giving it any gas and it doesn't make the noise but it's sometimes hard on a hill. I know how to drive a manual and i've drove my friends ss and i dont have the problem while driving his car at all....also if im driving down the road in say 4th gear and depress the clutch pedal and and leave it in gear and rev up on the motor ...it makes the same racket like somethings flying apart. Clutch is not slipping at all and it drives pretty good other than that noise,,,,and some times the trans will wine a little in first and second gear... ok now to the reverse situation ..when i put trans in rev it will go in fine but when you let out on clutch it will throw the shifter out of gear ... so i have to hold shifter in reverse and keep it there until i let out on clutch and engage reverse.. it makes a clicking noise and once this happens it will stay in reverse no problem. If any one can help me with this problem i'd greatly appreciate it...
Old 02-25-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Replace the clutch and rebuild the transmission
Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Teching In

That really doesnt tell me what the problem is... Theres no sense in replacing if it can be fixed cheaper
Old 02-25-2011, 09:26 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't replace the clutch. Take it out, have the disc checked and relined if still good, and surface the pressure plate and flywheel. If they say it's junk, replace the clutch as an assembly & use the surface flywheel if it meets min. thickness specification.

Don't rebuild the trans. Take it apart, figure out what parts / bearings are worn in 1st, 2nd, reverse and wherever else. Then since you have it apart, replace what will keep you from having to open it up again any time soon.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:39 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

There's a problem with the 1-2 synchro assembly, and a bad Reverse gear and Reverse synchro assembly. There are probably other internal problems within the T56 that will need to be addressed.
You shouldn't have to let out on the pedal all the way like that.
Inevitably, you're going to have to take the above advice, "Replace the clutch, and rebuild the tranny."
Unfortunately, there is no "cheaper" or "easy" fix for this. It has probably been a long time coming. The only way to fix this is to fix it right. I can help you on a T56 build/clutch combo package deal. Buy a complete clutch kit and rebuild the trans, and I can knock off about $150. Be ready to spend $1000-1300 on the trans alone, though. Clutch kits w/ fly and slave are roughly $700. Check out the websites in my sig for more details.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:10 AM
Teching In

thanks for the input ...few more questions ... why when i am drivin down the road and in 4th gear i can press clutch in and while still in gear and rev up and i hear the same noise as if i were starting in first.... it seems to me that something may be wrong with the clutch as stated causing this because when the clutch pedal is pressed in this means that there is no power going to the transmission so the trans is not the culprit for the most annoying sound....the guy i purchased the car from said they installed a stage 3 (really tooo much) clutch in the car and ive heard that they chatter sometimes but this doesnt seem to be that type of noise i have broken in a stage 2 clutch before and its not that kind of chatter....the car has done this every since i purchased it bout a month ago ...only paid 3000$ so it wasnt too bad of a deal.... if the guy is tellin the truth .. possibly they did not had the fly wheel turned and that could be the noise but i have no past experience with such ....i always had the fly wheel turned.... is there any possible way they did not torque the pressure plate properly or could a spring have screwed up on the clutch ... just kinda wanting to bounce some ideas around before i decide to pull trans due to the fact that this is my dd currently ..... the 1-2 gear whine isnt that bad and the reverse prob doesnt bothe me too much its just that damn grindin chatter noise....im tired of people lookin over at me in traffic like i don't know what im doin lol... been drivin manuals for 10 years now .......and like i said i can drive it with out makin noise but its just hard in stop and go... oh and also you can be drivin down the road and have foot on gas at bout 70mph and press clutch in slightly and it makes that same noise... sorry for long post just wanting to give as much info as possible
Old 02-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the grinding when pedal pressed down can be the pilot bushing
Old 02-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Teching In

just wanna do a quick update and tell yall what was wrong... pulled trans and and clutch assembly.... clutch was not a stage 3 as i kinda expected.....clutch was fried... im suprised it wasn't slippin... middle gear on clutch was floating...fly wheel had heat spots to hell and back... pilot bearing was destroyed and non existent..luckily input shaft was not damaged.. and throw out bearing sounded like an old rollerskate when spun... replaced all on sunday and driving great today! no more crazy sounds or grinds...pilot bushing was so trashed i broke a pullor trying to remove... ended up having to drill it it half way then took a chisel and hammer and was able to break it into pieces...oh by the way did whole job without a lift and trans jack ... that really sucked ......hopes this helps others in the future

Quick Reply: 6 speed trans problems