Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

About to pull the trigger on a Monster stg2 and Tick master

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default About to pull the trigger on a Monster stg2 and Tick master

Just filed my tax returns, it will be healthy this year so it's time to replace this 105k mile stock clutch.. My plans are the Monster Stage 2 (i want a full face disc), lightweight flywheel option, new slave cylinder, new pressure plate and flywheel bolts, Tick speedbleeder, and the Tick master cylinder..

Anyone got a recommendation of other things I should do while I got the trans out? I'm thinking about doing a rear main seal also for the hell of it while it's out, even though I'm confident it's not leaking... I'm even thinking about a Pro 5.0 or MGW shifter, but I'll see how I like the shifting after all this to judge whether I still want to get another shifter..
Old 02-27-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok I've been reading.. I'm pretty convinced I want the stage 2 because I want as most driveability as possible, and stage 2 will hold my cam only motor for awhile. Anyone have any experience with both the stage 2 and 3? I've driven a 6 puck car, and didn't really like the clutch too much, but I think it was an old SPEC clutch...
Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that same setup, stage 2 and tick, and its been great. Im a H/C car that when i was auto put down 384 through a flowmaster catback and i never really track the car, its all street. and the stage 2 has been perfect as a daily driver clutch so far. It coupled with the tick is a little firm, but not that bad. nothing you cant get used to.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Are you also using the lightweight flywheel?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Just go level 3 and never look back. They are known to last a very long time. I got about 7500 on mine and its amazing. It is stiffer on the pedal than say a stage 2 but I think its still awesome.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Are you also using the lightweight flywheel?
I am, although in my situation i cant really compare it to anything else because i was A4 prior. Its been fine for daily driving around here, i could see how some people could find it annoying, but given the option, id get it on my next clutch.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
Just go level 3 and never look back. They are known to last a very long time. I got about 7500 on mine and its amazing. It is stiffer on the pedal than say a stage 2 but I think its still awesome.
The only reason i stayed away from the stage 3 was the issue that seemed to pop up about it glazing over after street driving and squealing. I saw that they were the same price and the stage 3 looks like an amazing clutch, but if you rarely or never track the car, it may be overkill. If you search around, youll see that if you dont drop the clutch every so often, a glaze forms on the clutch disc and it makes a nasty squealing noise. Nothing that is too detrimental to the performance, just sounds bad.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
The only reason i stayed away from the stage 3 was the issue that seemed to pop up about it glazing over after street driving and squealing. I saw that they were the same price and the stage 3 looks like an amazing clutch, but if you rarely or never track the car, it may be overkill. If you search around, youll see that if you dont drop the clutch every so often, a glaze forms on the clutch disc and it makes a nasty squealing noise. Nothing that is too detrimental to the performance, just sounds bad.
Mine makes a little noise when leaving in 1st and its cold but nothing that bothers me. Also this is known for Textralia's as well or basically any clutch of this type. At first I was a little conserned not knowing what it was but its very slight and doesnt bug me the least. They last soo long its worth it IMO.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hollo this is what scares me:"I want as most driveability as possible, and stage 2 will hold my cam only motor for awhile.". Sounds like you have bigger plans down the road? I dont get why you wouldnt go overboard the first time and not have to worry about changing your clutch again when it doesnt hold your future mods.. I have the level 3 and I love it.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Greekey
Hollo this is what scares me:"I want as most driveability as possible, and stage 2 will hold my cam only motor for awhile.". Sounds like you have bigger plans down the road? I dont get why you wouldnt go overboard the first time and not have to worry about changing your clutch again when it doesnt hold your future mods.. I have the level 3 and I love it.
I get what your saying lol, but what I'm saying is, I won't be doing anything else as far as heads, custom cam, nitrous goes for a long time that I foresee. If the stage 3 was a full face disc, trust me. I'd be on it. It's my DD, and I've driven puck style discs before, and they are not something I want to drive everyday, especially those days you get stuck in stop n go traffic
Old 03-02-2011, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

I see what you mean as far as daily driving it. Considering your clutch lasted 100k+ why dont you just buy a stock LS6/LS7 clutch? I think that the monster PP will still be a little less enjoyeable to drive in traffic compared to a stock LS6/7. I noticed the PP looks the same on the Level 3 as the one your looking at. Which I imagine will make it somewhat like the higher level puck designs. My LS7 clutch I used before was awesome and I got it for a great price.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

your parts list looks good and I would say MGW over the Pro 5.0 or any other shifter and leave the rear main seal alone.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Placed my order Friday. Got the Stage 2 complete package, with lightweight flywheel, new GM PP & FW bolts, Tick MC and Tick speed bleeder.. Can't wait to get it in and broken in. The 106k mile clutch has gotta go!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Placed my order Friday. Got the Stage 2 complete package, with lightweight flywheel, new GM PP & FW bolts, Tick MC and Tick speed bleeder.. Can't wait to get it in and broken in. The 106k mile clutch has gotta go!
Good job, thats exactly the package i got, youll love it. be sure to bench bleed the master before you install it. thats the only thing i would have done differently
Old 03-15-2011, 01:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds good Red. How many miles you have on it now?

Also, BTW, I just read Monster replaced their Stage 3 disc, and it doesn't make that awful noise anymore. I found out after I ordered mine, but I still would have gotten the Stage 2

Last edited by HoLLo; 03-15-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:49 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the orders guys, no reason to go overkill if you don't need to. Clutch the car accordingly, just as you cam/gear the car the same way. It's all about the combination of the right parts, if you're ever unsure of what would be best for your set-up give me a call as nobody knows our clutches better than we do. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 03-15-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received my Tick master and speed bleeder. Can't wait to throw this stuff in. Just waiting on the Monster clutch package!

I installed a Tick in my buddies GTO over the weekend. Quality piece!!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, BTW, I just ready Monster replaced their Stage 3 disc, and it doesn't make that awful noise anymore.
Would like to hear more about this.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AJG87
Saw a Monster rep say it in a post. I'd ask them for more details..
Old 03-16-2011, 11:06 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by AJG87
We made some small changes to our formulation of the friction material that will extensively reduce the effect of the glazing as long as the clutch is not slipped too much.

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on a Monster stg2 and Tick master