Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

squeaking while shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaking while shifting

new master cylinder put in last friday, bled the **** out of the clutch lines several times, still hard to shift, then yesterday, everything miraculously started working as it should. All day, ~ 50 miles or so driven, the trans shifted butter smooth, no grinding, not notchiness, slipped in and out of gear with ease, etc.

Today...

Everything was going great on my way to work. However, at about the last mile or so I start getting a squeak each time I shift. It's coming from the trans area, and stops when I let the clutch petal out. It goes on to do this for the next few gear changes, then stops. About this time, it started acting like there's an air bubble in the line again. Hard to get into gear unless I pump the clutch a few times (not every time, intermittent problem).

I came home early, and the same symptoms were present. It doesn't happen every shift, but it happens enough. The chirping gear change seems to happen around the same time the shifting issue occurs.

trans fluid was changed about 3 weeks ago too; 25k miles on the fluid, came out looking like it was fresh out of the bottle.

also, I just checked the clutch fluid level. hasn't gone down a single bit. The color is same as fresh out of the bottle, no signs of burning, no particles, etc.

I'm starting to get real tired of this ****.

Last edited by phantazn; 03-03-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever replaced your slave cylinder?
Old 03-03-2011, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Have you ever replaced your slave cylinder?
Not in the last 50k miles. Today is also about 25 degrees or so colder than yesterday, if that helps.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:01 PM
FormerVendor

I would be willing to bet that your throw out bearing is going bad and possibly your slave cylinder. Is there any way you can get the car on a lift? It might help you diagnose the problem easlier.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

I would be willing to bet that your throw out bearing is going bad and possibly your slave cylinder. Is there any way you can get the car on a lift? It might help you diagnose the problem easlier.
sadly, I don't have access to a lift anymore. The best I can do is a stack of 2x8's and some jackstands.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by phantazn
sadly, I don't have access to a lift anymore. The best I can do is a stack of 2x8's and some jackstands.
Well I wouldn't stack it up on blocks. See if you can get in somewhere with a lift. I don't like telling people to run cars on jack stands, for personal reasons.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

hey not to hyjack your thread but my car also has the squeking pedal when i shift.... i just had a brand new t56 put in with a new clutch and a new slave but the master was not replaced ( still original master from factory) .... i took it back to them and they said it my master going bad... just making sure they are correct or are the bull shitting me? sry i couldnt really help... hope you get yours figured out soon....
Old 03-03-2011, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Well I wouldn't stack it up on blocks. See if you can get in somewhere with a lift. I don't like telling people to run cars on jack stands, for personal reasons.
I'll see what I can come up with. What would I be looking for once I get it up on a lift?

Also, thanks for the responses; When I get my trans built later down the road I definitely know who to turn to for service
Old 03-03-2011, 04:57 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by phantazn
I'll see what I can come up with. What would I be looking for once I get it up on a lift?

Also, thanks for the responses; When I get my trans built later down the road I definitely know who to turn to for service
Once on the lift have someone in the car and start it and listen to try to pin point the noise. And look for any leaks in the clutch hydraulics.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Any suggestions for me guys?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

no one?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z284lfe
hey not to hyjack your thread but my car also has the squeking pedal when i shift.... i just had a brand new t56 put in with a new clutch and a new slave but the master was not replaced ( still original master from factory) .... i took it back to them and they said it my master going bad... just making sure they are correct or are the bull shitting me? sry i couldnt really help... hope you get yours figured out soon....
buy a new one because your camaro is gay gay gay! hahah
Old 03-23-2011, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

I agree with Jeremy here. Check the throwout bearing and go from there.. I wouldnt jump to internal trans issues until all the easily checked things are out of the way.

Quick Reply: squeaking while shifting