Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

new clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new clutch problems

I just installed a new clutch and flywheel on my 99 Trans AM with a T56. The clutch kit is an Exedy OEM replacement kit. After getting the new kit installed and bleeding the system, the car would not go into any gear while running. The throwout bearing that came with the kit had some play in the plastic ring around it so I bought a new throwout bearing and slave cylinder to eliminate those possible problems. The car still has all the same issues even after installing the new parts and bleeding the system again. The only way I could get it in gear was by turning the car off and putting it in gear. While running, the clutch stays engaged and will not disengage when I push the pedal. I've been searching the forums about this problem and only found one thread that did not have a sure answer to the problem. I'd greatly appreciate any advice I can get.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...e-started.html

I just had this issue, with an LT1 though. Finally solved it with an adjustable master cylinder.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Who makes that master cylinder you bought?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:56 AM
FormerVendor

Bird, the Master for the LT1 will not fit your application. That being said there are available options for your car too. We offer an adjustable stock based unit and Tick offers a larger bore units that is also adjustable. Keep in mind that flywheel condition makes a big impact on clutch release. Did you install a new flywheel? Did you resurface your existing flywheel? If it was resurfaced it should not have had more than .015" removed.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bird.is.Word
Who makes that master cylinder you bought?
I bought the Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder.

http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...dy/hydraulics/

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Bird, the Master for the LT1 will not fit your application.
The master cylinder for an LT1 and LS1 are exactly the same. The only difference is the part of the hydraulic line that connects to the slave cylinder which can be easily changed.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

I did install a new flywheel that came with the clutch kit. My car was originally automatic, but I had the t56 swapped in. I called the shop today where I had the work done and they had the same problems after doing the swap. They fixed the problem by running a hose from the slave to a coke bottle filled with brake fluid and pumping the clutch so that air would be pushed out as new fluid was drawn in. I'm going to try this myself and see how it turns out. Again, thank you guys for your responses. I'll let you know how everything goes.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Teching In

I have almost the same problem!! I just put a Spec Stage 2 with a brand new GM slave, Fly wheel resurfaced and the master cylinder is adjustable with the drill mod! When i leaved the garage, the only working gear was 1 and 2... after a couple of minut pumping the pedal i was able to get in all gear but with some grinding. It been 3 days and still not able to go in reverse. Look like the mechanic guy forget to take the mesurment for the shims!!! I am thinking removing it my self and check all but it is a big job!!!! any help???
Old 04-09-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by yosteff
I have almost the same problem!! I just put a Spec Stage 2 with a brand new GM slave, Fly wheel resurfaced and the master cylinder is adjustable with the drill mod! When i leaved the garage, the only working gear was 1 and 2... after a couple of minut pumping the pedal i was able to get in all gear but with some grinding. It been 3 days and still not able to go in reverse. Look like the mechanic guy forget to take the mesurment for the shims!!! I am thinking removing it my self and check all but it is a big job!!!! any help???
If a mechanic did it the first time and didn't do it right, take it back to him.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

First thing that popped in my head when reading it was shim.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:39 PM
FormerVendor

Hey guys, a small percentage of these F-body's do Need to be shimmed...first you need to take all the measurements needed when installing a clutch...I would call whoever you bought the clutch from and get the installed height off the back of the engine...then you can have the correct measurements to go forward...

FYI, just make sure all the air is out of the system...

I bet you're going to have to shim the slave out...

If I can help any of you guys please call me anytime, I will be glad too...

thanks
Mike Yeager
Old 04-11-2011, 11:27 AM
FormerVendor

yosteff, the shim could be needed but if you pump the pedal and find that it is easier to get into gear the you also likely have an issue with air in the system. You should have it bled with a mighty-vac or similar system from the bleeder and the reservoir to insure that you have all the air out.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Banned

what was the issue?

Quick Reply: new clutch problems