Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Hard Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Hard Reverse

I just got my car back from getting the tranny rebuilt due to reverse grinding and it being super hard to get into 1st gear. It's easier to get into the actual reverse gear but still hard to get it over to the reverse position (while still in neutral). I still have to use 2 hands to push it over to reverse before actually putting it in gear. Do all T56's have this problem or is it normal? I did some searching and they said it might be the Reverse solenoid. Where is the R solenoid? I'm just hoping that will fix the problem because after spending that money to get it rebuilt...it should be fun to drive not a chore.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it back !
Old 05-11-2011, 04:00 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Reverse lockout solenoid has a black connector. It and the lockout assembly are attached to the tailhousing to the left of the shifter. Make sure it's plugged in and the connector is black, not off-white.

Hard to move over (right) into the reverse gate is solenoid / lockout related.

Hard to get into first - put your car in gear on level ground, hold the pedal to the floor and rev it to 3500. If the car moves, your clutch isn't releasing properly.

Who did the work?
Old 05-11-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reverse solenoid would be the solenoid that keeps you from going into reverse when the vehicle is moving. I don't know where it's located. If you're not moving, then that shouldn't be a problem, but I would venture to guess that it could be.

If it's physically taking two hands to push the shift lever over, I would say there is some type of binding in the linkage. Manual transmissions are relativly easy to take apart, but parts can be a little confusing to put back together. If it were my car, I would take it back. I would guess that the problem would be shifter, shift linkage, or fork. Something seems to be binding or bent.

If it were grinding as well, the problem could be farther down the line in the synchronization assembly.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

It was Atlas Transmission in Tucson. Do I get to the reverse lockout from under the car or can I go thru the center console? I thought the Reverse lockout was like a brass metal part that goes into the side of your tranny?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Here is a picture

I actually Am having a similar issue as well but it is more like i can put it in reverse and nothing happens. I had the first 4 gears. Wasnt able to go any faster. And when i pulled it into the garage when i got home could put it in reverse but had no reverse. So I needed to fix my bleeding down slave cylinder so i pulled it to check this issue as well. Outside of the vehicle it goes into reverse and the shfter is in reverse so i will put it back in and see.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Ed. I take it this is the solenoid?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:24 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yep.
The solenoid is the plug/cylinder/hex section towards the left.
The lockout assy. is aluminum (like the tailhousing) on the right.

Quick Reply: T56 Hard Reverse