Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

messed up 3rd at drag strip

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default messed up 3rd at drag strip

I messed up my transmission and i was hoping for some confident guesses at least on what i did.

I was at a drag strip making my only good pass that night, and i missed third REALLY bad. I mean i didn't get locked out, it felt like it was half way in when i jerked the clutch out and it just made this horrible sound.

now when i'm driving the car normally, third gear usually engages and works fine but every now and then ill put it in third, and it will feel like it went in, and it will just grind instead.

Sometimes it sort of pops itself out of gear if i'm driving at low speeds and there's not a lot of load on the transmission. When it pops out like that it just seems to hit against the teeth of the gears

I also can't start it in third. Not that i normally do but i used to be able to, and now, if starting in third it just makes that horrible grinding sound. If i'm moving at normal speeds and throw it in third and floor it, it still holds fine tho.

Sorry it's long i just want to give as much info as possible. Thanks
Old 05-29-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i bet you broke your syncro all up.

i think you can try popping the clutch out hard in the gear in question, and if it pops out that means syncro.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you most likely broke the keys on the slider assembly, get it rebuilt now before you do more damage and have to start replacing more things
Old 05-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

broken keys and stripped syncro/ gear assembly. never replace a gear and not a syncro. they get beat up together whether one looks worse or not.
do i cheap fix replace both of those or do it right put a steel 3-4 fork in it and billet keys and upgrade to bronze fork pads now and never open it again
Old 05-29-2011, 04:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

This could be something as simple as broken fork pads. If the fork pad breaks off the fork won't gear the slider onto the gear deep enough, resulting in a grind or possibly the shifter poping back to the neutral position.

If it actually pops out of gear at low rpms while driving around (not just during the shift, but after the shift has been made sucessfully) it may be that the teeth of the slider and gear could be damaged as mentioned already.

Except for the gear itself, any of our rebuild packages should take care of the issue. Also, the longer you continue to drive it this way the more damage will occur to the gear. It may still be ok now.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
This could be something as simple as broken fork pads. If the fork pad breaks off the fork won't gear the slider onto the gear deep enough, resulting in a grind or possibly the shifter poping back to the neutral position.

If it actually pops out of gear at low rpms while driving around (not just during the shift, but after the shift has been made sucessfully) it may be that the teeth of the slider and gear could be damaged as mentioned already.

Except for the gear itself, any of our rebuild packages should take care of the issue. Also, the longer you continue to drive it this way the more damage will occur to the gear. It may still be ok now.
but why waste the time to take it all apart and replace only what "might" be bad. the syncro and gear wear together. replace them both.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by nobird8991
but why waste the time to take it all apart and replace only what "might" be bad. the syncro and gear wear together. replace them both.
LOL, I wouldn't take it apart only to replace what might be bad. Any of our rebuilds would come with all new carbon blockers, steel 3/4 fork, new fork pads (bronze for level 2 and up), new 3/4 syncronizer assembly, and new keys (billet for level 2 and up). My point was, everything except the gear that could cause this issue is replaced with any of our rebuilds. As of right now the gear itself may be fine, but if he continues to drive it shifting into third with this problem it will likely need to be replaced as well.

Just because a gear grinds a time or two doesn't mean its bad. Slight wear can be de-burred. If its bad enough it will need to be replaced....but that can't be determined until the transmission is apart.

We've replace syncros while reusing gears on hundreds of t56 transmissions. It hasn't been an issue yet.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

wow thanks for all the advice guys. I go to school in clemson so getting the tranny to tick is only about 2.5 hours. btw ya'll's adjustable master is great. But yeah a rebuild may be in order since i'm looking into turboing the car and second gear synchro sucks too

I really enjoy doing things myself tho, is this something i could research and do myself or is that a terrible idea? i've done cam swaps and clutches and changed heads so i'm a relatively novice mechanic.

Quick Reply: messed up 3rd at drag strip