Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

A4 to M6 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A4 to M6 swap?

Im really missing the 3rd pedal in my car and was wonder how much these swaps roughing run and how much of a pain in the butt it is to do?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:18 AM
Staging Lane

Check out Hawksthirdgen.com for pedal assemblies for $150. Roughly $4500 parts and labor (new components). Hawks does sell used m6 conversions for $2200 if just having the m6 is your only intention.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did it in the fall and i kept an excel spreadsheet of all the money i spent on the whole conversion. for all my parts, i got $2987.52, and yes i did count down to the cent.

I searched and found most of my stuff here on the classifieds, stuff like pedals, crossmember, and interior pieces i just bought used, and i think most of that stuff came from the same guy. so its not that hard to find stuff.

the trans i got REALLY lucky and had a guy pm me that he had a built trans that he hadnt listed in the classifieds yet and i got a killer deal on it. It was an almost fresh stage 2 rebuild for $1500. My clutch, tick master, slave and shifter i got brand new, so my parts total there would be higher than if you just found a straight swap.

It honestly wasnt that hard to do, i did a little bit as i got each part in, but ive got another car, so i was blessed with the ability to take my time. now that ive done it, i could knock it out in a weekend if i had all the parts and tools in front of me. just READ that sticky about the swap and youll be fine.

And i live right down the street from hawks and bruce did my PCM reflash after the swap, but you can definitely find cheaper stuff.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if you got it but Isent you a pm. I have a new spec stage 2 clutch, pedal assem, new master with hydro and res, new slave, fresh stage 2 t56 with 0 miles, fresh flywheel 0 miles, and all interior pcs. Let me know. Everything is new except interior..
Old 06-05-2011, 11:21 AM

I feel you pain, and feeling of a phantom missing pedal...
Old 06-05-2011, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

I hope I'll have the funds to do the swap this summer. I'm due for it. Heck, I've been wanting to do it for the past couple of years. Auto is great from a dead stop, but dang it's boring to just drive around town, and not a good roll racing candidate. I have a Yank 3600ss and 4.10s and its still not as fun to drive as my buddies stock geared M6 car.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Did my swap over the winter, got my set up all at once. ++1 on following the sticky,
alot of good info in there.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

I just switched over. Had a buddy do it and just got the car back last Sunday. The guy that did it has 2 jobs so I didn't care that it took him 63 days to do it. I saved money during the high gas prices and just rode the bus to work. I got the car back and I've loved it ever since. Took it to the track for the first time today and learned some new respect for the M6 guys. But by far and away, the best experience I've had driving it was when I was late to work. It's 10 miles from my house to where I work. I basically autocrossed Orlando from the east side to downtown using backstreets, curbeswervin' and tire burnin all the way. MY GOD! I got to work with the biggest friggin grin on my face and it stayed there for the remainder of my 12 hour shift.

I got lucky, the guy who sold me my transmission had 2 people back out on him before me and so to make sure I would actually show up, he gave me one hell of a deal. I got a Tick Performance stage 2, a pro 5.0, lou's short stick, bellhousing, crossmember, console & shift plate, SLP leather shift ****, pedal assembly, Tick Performance Master and slave, Tick remote bleeder, GM LS7 clutch and flywheel, and every nut and bolt associated all bagged and tagged, for the amazing price of $1500 bucks. I got everything except the shift boot and ring because some other guy that came to buy something else had kinda stolen it outta his car. I got the "best friend" deal of $450 for another guy I know to put the whole thing together in his driveway while I constantly made jokes about breaking it immediately after he'd finished with it and he also fixed a couple oil leaks for me. (so yeah, if you do this mod, replace the rear main seal whether it's leaking or not, cause it's probably wet already and you just don't know it)

Last edited by wornoutshoes; 06-05-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wornoutshoes
I got a Tick Performance stage 2, a pro 5.0, lou's short stick, bellhousing, crossmember, console & shift plate, SLP leather shift ****, pedal assembly, Tick Performance Master and slave, Tick remote bleeder, GM LS7 clutch and flywheel, and every nut and bolt associated all bagged and tagged, for the amazing price of $1500 bucks.
daggum. that was my trans and bellhousing, great deal.

Quick Reply: A4 to M6 swap?