Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Possible master/slave issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible master/slave issues?

So I did a flush and bleed with new DOT 3 Amsoil high temp synthetic fluid, had one hell of a time getting it bled! I had better luck with slow pumps to clear the master once I had a pedal to work with (which took forever). Did not do the drill mod at this time but did relocate the braided line under the existing heat shield for the brake lines! Took it for a spin, first aggressive 1-2 shift and the pedal would not return, same as before! The sticky says next do the drill mod and then you are into a slave cylinder. I am wondering though if the problem could be in the master and is it bypassing under fast shifts? I can't see it being a heat issue although possible? If I have to pull the master to do the mod anyway, any thoughts? BTW, this car sat for 5 years and the fluid was nearly black with chunks. Thanks, Les...
Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Les, the stock master cylinder is a joke that GM designed to keep these cars from being shifted aggressively during the warranty period. Upgrading would solve your issues (don't waste time with the drill mod!)

More here: http://www.tick-performance.com/imag...kshiftfaq.html
Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Joey@Tick
Les, the stock master cylinder is a joke that GM designed to keep these cars from being shifted aggressively during the warranty period. Upgrading would solve your issues (don't waste time with the drill mod!)

More here: http://www.tick-performance.com/imag...kshiftfaq.html
OK Joey, thanks for the link and it looks like the way to go! Are you saying that the master is the only problem or the next thing to address? Thanks, Les.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Without the car here, of course I can't say for certain that the master is the only problem, but as long as your slave isn't leaking and your clutch isn't slipping, the smart money is on the master being the culprit.

Our master also doesn't require transmission removal, as slave cylinder or clutch replacement does. If I were you, I'd try our Master and go from there if needed.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Joey@Tick
Without the car here, of course I can't say for certain that the master is the only problem, but as long as your slave isn't leaking and your clutch isn't slipping, the smart money is on the master being the culprit.

Our master also doesn't require transmission removal, as slave cylinder or clutch replacement does. If I were you, I'd try our Master and go from there if needed.
No leaks and no slippage, just the sticking pedal! I will contact you for an order, at least there is a solution. I read some reviews here on another post, looks like your success rate is 100%. I guess GM was protecting their lame differential with a lame master, its disappointing that after 35 years they signed off with this lame setup! Thanks for your support, Les>>>
Old 09-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Teching In

I would like to know if this fixes your problem because my car is doing basically the same thing. My pedal releases very low after wot through a couple gears, then it seems like it goes back to normal after a little while, like it cools down or something.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thank you for your order Les!
Originally Posted by 02pewterform
I would like to know if this fixes your problem because my car is doing basically the same thing. My pedal releases very low after wot through a couple gears, then it seems like it goes back to normal after a little while, like it cools down or something.
I'm sure 2002 T/A will keep you posted. In the meantime, make sure to give this a read: http://www.tick-performance.com/imag...kshiftfaq.html
Old 09-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02pewterform
Well I have the same question (I didn't ask Joey this directly), I think its influenced by heat too! Cause when I dump it in 1st and lite the tires it locks up= heat. I am not shifting any faster cause I can't even get it out of 1st! That leads me to believe that the problem starts at the clutch, slave and then up to the master via the heat soaked line? Also, if I down shift to pass on the hiway it will lock up for the up shift, still not shifting any faster into 4th or 5th??? Les.