Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

BEST clutch for street strip LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST clutch for street strip LT1?

OKAY! I know this is going to 'open a can of worms', but what do you guys say is the best clutch for a mostly street, some strip LT1 (400+hp) and T56, running stock (342:1) rear-end gears?
This is a high 12s car that I may put a small super-charger (4-6psi) on later.

I am replacing the one that was in the car when I bought it (Centerforce) and would like to be able to drive it for years (with some moderate abuse, of course!) without any problems. Money isn't the main issue, but good for cheap IS a wonderful goal!

In the 'old days', I'd run a Muncie or BW Super T10 with an 11" Hays Street/Strip, and never bat an eye. Now, I don't know what is good...

So, what do you guys with the 6-speeds say?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:47 AM
FormerVendor

We offer several kits that would easily meet your needs. With the addition of the SC I would probably recommend the Stage 2+ as it will easily handle your torque output (even boosted) and it is very street friendly. Take a look at the link below (scroll down to the second set of parts listed) and let me know if you have any any questions. Thanks!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/1995/Single
Old 10-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Default Input appreciated!

Hey, I appreciate your input, but I am actually wanting to hear from the guys who have run the different brands of clutches, and what their experiences have been with them!
I will consider your products more favorably than other (non-supporting vendors) products, but really need to hear from the 'true experiences' of the forum members, first!
Thanks again!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

I understand completely! I just wanted you to be aware of the options we provide. Additionally, you might want to take a look at the link below relative to the differences between our kits and the OE and OE-based aftermarket kits. Not all kits are created equally!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-question.html
Old 10-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Got em spec! That thread was awesome. I love to see solid proof of a claim. I will be ordering a spec stage 2 soon!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:38 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks, I am glad that the info provided helped. Let me know if you all need anything else or have other questions.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

do a search on here on competition clutches, lots and lots of positive feedback(especially in the LT1 section) -not to take anything away from spec, just throwing out another quality option for you.
btw spec-01, out of curiosity, what kind of PP do you use on LTx clutches? your own or a valeo?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

We have used several options over the years with similar clamp-loads due to the modifications that we do in-house. We stoped using the Valeo units for the basis of our kits about two years ago and now utilize units of our own specification.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
We have used several options over the years with similar clamp-loads due to the modifications that we do in-house. We stoped using the Valeo units for the basis of our kits about two years ago and now utilize units of our own specification.
could you be more specific as to what is diffrent about "utilize units of our own specification" with SPEC LT1PP vs other brands or valeo?
Old 11-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Launching!

This thing is a can of worms.
All the sponsors have decent units an can speak to them intelligently I'm sure.
The guys I grew up with who still race, (road and drag) really like McLeod units as they have been doing this for more years than most here are aged.
They also have them in their clutched DDs.
You should just pick a package for your price / performance point and go with it.
The clutch assembly I'm going with is not advertised here but, I'm ok with it because I have realtime info from close friends who have nothing to gain by my choice.
Talk to some racers who beat the snot out of em and see what they say.

Quick Reply: BEST clutch for street strip LT1?